PROTOS: Scotty Tungsten CT, Srixon 400cc, BG M.O.I

Im really excited about the Srixon 400cc driver and Srixon proto CB's. That Tommy Nakajima is one lucky guy, seems like all the brands love to build him special clubs. Maybe he is a HO! Hows that Scotty Tungsten putter!

picture.JPG

I remember seening Paul Casey with a CT Cameron like the one above. Is it to raise the MOI? Because can Cameron not give them whatever headweight they want? (by not milling the cavity as deep?)

I remember seening Paul Casey with a CT Cameron like the one above. Is it to raise the MOI? Because can Cameron not give them whatever headweight they want? (by not milling the cavity as deep?)

I'm sure Cameron can give them almost any head weight the player wants, but if the player wants a heavy weight small headed putter they may have to add tungsten. I'm for Tungsten in the faces because tungsten is very brittle and will rust if located on the bottom where it tends to get wet. Also tungsten in the faces is harder to do and provides even less head twisting than if it were located on the sole.

In my opinion as you already know P, Scotty is all about market luck and timing not top quality product. There are a ton of things he could do to make his product better even in regards to what the top pro's play and thats why many high end putter makers know their are a hand full of crafters who are twice as good as S.C. What many don't know is that all his retail putters are made in China and stamped in the U.S, we are talking very low quality for his retail offerings. I used to play only Cameron until I learned what real quality is, but a putters still just a putter and the quality issue is for the most part mental.

Have to say I've been a Cameron fan for the past 3 to 4 years mainly because the Del Mar 3.5 head is my all time favourite design (so far). I also really liked the initial release of caps and headcovers which were cool. However, when they started releasing a new headcover every month, cheap t-shirts, clocks, trailer hitches!, etc. etc., the brand took a turn which put me off. You can also not deny that the amount of time spent focusing on accessories must take away from time spent creating and crafting new putters.

For this reason, I started to look elsewhere and settled on a Gauge Proseries Black M2 centre-shafted. The finishing touches on the putter are first rate and the tungsten weights in the face really demonstrate the excellent quality of the finished product. I'm actually not crazy about the majority of their head shapes but there's no denying that Gauge Design Japan make higher quality putters than Cameron (retail). For the time being, I'm rolling the Gauge very well and my length control has not suffered. The putter is definitely staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

I have now disposed of all my Cameron putters and items (at good prices - the market's still there for them) except for a Tour Del Mar 3.5 3XB SSS, 350g. 34" which I will likely keep forever, and an Inspired by Sergio Garcia which is ending on Ebay within 24 hours.

The Red X did peak my interest but I will wait to roll one in a shop here before making a decision. For now, I'm on the lookout for a Gold's Factory mid-mallet or mallet, something new from Gauge, and definitely curious about getting my hands on a Zomo like Maru's.

IMHO, US manufacturers and their product lines just can't compare to the Japanese overall.

Didier

Have to say I've been a Cameron fan for the past 3 to 4 years mainly because the Del Mar 3.5 head is my all time favourite design (so far).  I also really liked the initial release of caps and headcovers which were cool.  However, when they started releasing a new headcover every month, cheap t-shirts, clocks, trailer hitches!, etc. etc., the brand took a turn which put me off.  You can also not deny that the amount of time spent focusing on accessories must take away from time spent creating and crafting new putters.

For this reason, I started to look elsewhere and settled on a Gauge Proseries Black M2 centre-shafted.  The finishing touches on the putter are first rate and the tungsten weights in the face really demonstrate the excellent quality of the finished product.  I'm actually not crazy about the majority of their head shapes but there's no denying that Gauge Design Japan make higher quality putters than Cameron (retail).  For the time being, I'm rolling the Gauge very well and my length control has not suffered.  The putter is definitely staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

I have now disposed of all my Cameron putters and items (at good prices - the market's still there for them) except for a Tour Del Mar 3.5 3XB SSS, 350g. 34" which I will likely keep forever, and an Inspired by Sergio Garcia which is ending on Ebay within 24 hours.

The Red X did peak my interest but I will wait to roll one in a shop here before making a decision.  For now, I'm on the lookout for a Gold's Factory mid-mallet or mallet, something new from Gauge, and definitely curious about getting my hands on a Zomo like Maru's.

IMHO, US manufacturers and their product lines just can't compare to the Japanese overall.

Didier

I have a meeting with Sasaya tomorrow and will ask him if he will ever be making a Golds Factory mallet. BTW did you know Sasaya is a former Gauge Japan employee?

Have to say I've been a Cameron fan for the past 3 to 4 years mainly because the Del Mar 3.5 head is my all time favourite design (so far).  I also really liked the initial release of caps and headcovers which were cool.  However, when they started releasing a new headcover every month, cheap t-shirts, clocks, trailer hitches!, etc. etc., the brand took a turn which put me off.  You can also not deny that the amount of time spent focusing on accessories must take away from time spent creating and crafting new putters.

For this reason, I started to look elsewhere and settled on a Gauge Proseries Black M2 centre-shafted.  The finishing touches on the putter are first rate and the tungsten weights in the face really demonstrate the excellent quality of the finished product.  I'm actually not crazy about the majority of their head shapes but there's no denying that Gauge Design Japan make higher quality putters than Cameron (retail).  For the time being, I'm rolling the Gauge very well and my length control has not suffered.  The putter is definitely staying in the bag for the foreseeable future.

The Red X did peak my interest but I will wait to roll one in a shop here before making a decision.  For now, I'm on the lookout for a Gold's Factory mid-mallet or mallet, something new from Gauge, and definitely curious about getting my hands on a Zomo like Maru's.

Didier

I have a meeting with Sasaya tomorrow and will ask him if he will ever be making a Golds Factory mallet. BTW did you know Sasaya is a former Gauge Japan employee?

The market is much smaller for mallets but those of us who prefer them are always on the lookout for a great new version. I do indeed know he used to work for Gauge Japan. Judging by what I've seen so far, he looks to have a great future. Can you also ask him how he chose that name for his company??? :surprize:

In my opinion as you already know P, Scotty is all about market luck and timing not top quality product. There are a ton of things he could do to make his product better even in regards to what the top pro's play and thats why many high end putter makers know their are a hand full of crafters who are twice as good as S.C.  What many don't know is that all his retail putters are made in China and stamped in the U.S, we are talking very low quality for his retail offerings. I used to play only Cameron until I learned what real quality is, but a putters still just a putter and the quality issue is for the most part mental.

I'd be more inclined to try a guage or gold's if they had any resale value in the US whatsoever. They're so unknown to a majority of golfers it's hard to find someone who wants to buy it.

I like Camerons because they hold value very well. One can buy the newest offering and feel comfortable that if he doesn't like it it can be sold for very near initial cost.

Didier

Any update from Sasaya about a mallet or mid-mallet putter?

Tour Bettinardi's are far better made than any Scotty Offering I've seen or owned IMHO. I've never understood why SC's were so popular on the tour(tee-up money?), maybe it's the Tiger factor?

Looking forward to getting my Gold's.... should be any day soon. :laugh:

Didier

No love for mallets sir, he is a dale ping anser putter freak and is currently backed up with orders. He is a one man army you should see his work he actually does the wedge faces by hand with the same tool sword makers use to sharpen their weapons. No mallets, atleast non for now.

Didier

No love for mallets sir, he is a dale ping anser putter freak and is currently backed up with orders. He is a one man army you should see his work he actually does the wedge faces by hand with the same tool sword makers use to sharpen their weapons. No mallets, atleast non for now.

Pity. I'll have to focus on finding a Zomo for now!

Does he really not even have an assistant? Does he need working capital? :laugh:

Definitely looking forward to receiving my irons and wedges :cool:

I offered to sell his product more aggressively but he is just not interested in getting bigger or making large profits. All he wants to do is make the best most expensive quality product possible, the finishes on some of his putters are hand polished for many hours just to complete one piece. He claims that his putters are the most expensive putter to build in the world. I think he may be correct. I really really loved the SM430A steel putters. so soft and sweet!

I offered to sell his product more aggressively but he is just not interested in getting bigger or  making large profits. All he wants to do is make the best most expensive quality product possible, the finishes on some of his putters are hand polished for many hours just to complete one piece. He claims that his putters are the most expensive putter to build in the world. I think he may be correct. I really really loved the SM430A steel putters. so soft and sweet!

A true master of his craft :cool:

I hope my set and I get along well :smile1:

There's nothing new under the sun. This putter looks very similar to a 15 year old Pinnacle "Straight In" putter owned by my father-in-law. They both have the same tungsten weighting system, head design, and bend in the shaft.