GD Forged CB Review

jack0428

Gauge Design Forged CB 3-Pw

w/ Fujikura 717 graphite shaft

D2 swing weight

GD Full cord grip.

Look: ***** Gracefully beautiful. The set up is so stable and you feel a good shot coming just by looking at it. They look very much like blades from the top line, very clean, very subtle. The 3,4,5 irons are smallish heads, but with a deep profile, very much like the blades with a bigger base.

Feel: ***** Nothing is softer, nothing. Hot blade going thru butter, no harshness, no rebound feel, the ball is stuck to the face then jump off hot. The pure hit ball is sweet, very much like a blade with 5 times bigger sweet spot.

Distance: ***** 8 iron at 37*, added 10-15 yards. This effect is evident with every shaft according to other users, rifle, DG and Px and NSPro had all shown this effect, you need to re-do your yardage chart with these irons. The ball just stays in the air for a long time. I think it is due to the deeper muscle back layer design on the cavity.

Forgiveness: ***** hardly a mis-hit. The disperation is about only 5-8 yards horizontally. The feel is muted on toe misses, not harsh, but the ball still fly to where they suppose be, only shorter. Tons of forgiveness. These are THE EASIEST 3,4 iron that I have ever hit. I got the ball high in the air easily, the 4 iron can even generate enough spin when land on green to stop with minimum roll.

Workability: ****.5 Higher shot on the short irons. Trade off with the forgiveness factor, I felt the trajectory of the short irons are a bit too high. I can work the ball high and low with very light effort, the stinger keep under the wind pretty much like hitting with DGs. The mid-irons are responsive to draw, fade shots.

Conclusion: Goodbye Miura, goodbye TS. GD is the King. This set is unbelievable, I compared them to TS 202, X-Blade CB, Miura, PRGR TR900. This set beats them all on every category I tried. They put a big smile on my face when a shot is pured and the results are mostly what I expected and imagined, this is a great set of irons. I would love to try this set in a PX now, and who knows, GD might have a set of blades out later to make an awsome combo set at 8,9, PW with blades.

I agree with most everything you said. I have them on Nippon Pro 950s and could not be happier. They are, however, noticeably thicker than most blades I have seen. Side by side w/ my Tourstage Z101s, the Gauge do not look like blades to my eye. Much chunkier, thicker topline, and a good bit longer from heel to toe. But I fully agree that they are confidence inspiring at setup. The best irons I have hit to date as well.

Here are some pics of the 7 Iron. I agree they do not have a blade top line but its on the thin side which i would consider a players Cb. Still in the bag for me and really feeling good. I agree with Jack that nothing feels better when struck well not even the MR23 Cb's. Not many Irons are forged in Himeji, Only a handful of Tour players clubs, Miura, Tour Issue Tourstage, Hiro Matsumoto, & Golds Factory and lets not forget the Ishihara foundry that Scratch uses. Himeji is a small forging town 30 miles from Kobe Japan.

The GD Cb's are extremely well made and very user friendly for scratch players - 15hcp. You also have pretty much every option under the Sun for shafts and some very nice half cord color grips.

09.jpg06.jpg