Rocked by a 8.8 Earthquake

gocchin

Thanks Ant and everyone for your support, I've been in close contact with our accounts, partners, and shipping agents over the last few days and I gotta applaud them for how resilient they have been. Many Japanese golf brands worked over the weekend to get things back to working order by today which is monday in Japan. The shipping companies are not servicing the hard hit area's but luckily pretty much all of our OEM's and suppliers were not located in those areas. I've spoken with EMS who ships most of our product and everything is being picked up as usual starting today in the safe areas. The delay is minimal, far shorter than I expected and it seems many parts of Japan are back in business.

We are thankful and happy that our friends, family, and associates in Japan are doing fine, TSG is currently researching the best charities so that we can begin fundraising. Red cross is always awesome and TSG has made a donation to them after we found out they were accepting them but as of now Japan has not officially requested funds or blood yet. We are waiting to find out what charities can make the biggest difference for the people of Japan and then plan to begin a fundraiser for those effected.

Jacque and I were so touched to see our members pull together and support Tario & Stew through this horrible situation, I really didn't expect that level of connectivity, For some members it was their very first post...THANK YOU. It gave me a new perspective on how lucky we at TSG are to have such an amazing and giving group of individuals contributing to our community.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes indeed.

ill say im quite amazed by everyones support and good wishes

im prettty touched actually

not having met anyone on here persoanlly

except tario jacques and chris i feel pretty lcuky to be involed with all the guys nad gals on this site.

ive had a buzzilion wishes and emails form so many and i thank you most sincerly .

its not what happened in tokyo theres nothing bad here its the feeling of inevitability and the fact that if somethjing does go daown big the na city of 30,000,000 peole scrambling isnt where u want to be.

its not evern the tsunami or hte quake its the feeling of utter helplessnes and being trapped thats the unesay thing

the locals are utterly amazing

yea ....,what ever .....,they say its not the end of the world.

ahhh ahum i s reply

im in big spats wit h my missus who wants to stay im happy to be o n he nex flight to perth tonight which im waitlisted on

u can have no idea what to do

of i was single id stay but with 2 kids under 4 then the whole world looks totally different.

japans is one of the best palces on earth to live. i im lucky to have lived in a few and this is right at the very very top

i visited my clubbuilder on sat everything got trashed but by opening time sat he was back in bsuiness

shipping continues . god what to do.........,

as my bud said

"tough times dont last, amigo , tough guys do.......

have a lbig old sip from my glass of harden the fk up palsy!

had to laugh.....,

https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-charity/web.us/campaign.jsp?cid=-12

Here is a paypal link for donating although I am sure TSG will find some worthy charities also.

yes indeed.

ill say im quite amazed by everyones support and good wishes

im prettty touched actually

not having met anyone on here persoanlly

except tario jacques and chris i feel pretty lcuky to be involed with all the guys nad gals on this site.

ive had a buzzilion wishes and emails form so many and i thank you most sincerly .

its not what happened in tokyo theres nothing bad here its the feeling of inevitability and the fact that if somethjing does go daown big the na city of 30,000,000 peole scrambling isnt where u want to be.

its not evern the tsunami or hte quake its the feeling of utter helplessnes and being trapped thats the unesay thing

the locals are utterly amazing

yea ....,what ever .....,they say its not the end of the world.

ahhh ahum i s reply

im in big spats wit h my missus who wants to stay im happy to be o n he nex flight to perth tonight which im waitlisted on

u can have no idea what to do

of i was single id stay but with 2 kids under 4 then the whole world looks totally different.

japans is one of the best palces on earth to live. i im lucky to have lived in a few and this is right at the very very top

i visited my clubbuilder on sat everything got trashed but by opening time sat he was back in bsuiness

shipping continues . god what to do.........,

as my bud said

"tough times dont last, amigo , tough guys do.......

have a lbig old sip from my glass of harden the fk up palsy!

had to laugh.....,

To All members in Japan,

Its good to see you are all safe, We have just heard there has been another explosion at the Fukushima plant and reports of another Tsunami on its way.

My thoughts and prays are with you all.

Stay safe.

decision made

co. took it out of our hands this afternon were allbeing evaced out tom morn if we make it that long

off to hong kong on first available flight tomorrow then to singapore for the immedite future.

might be the end of a 10 yr relo im preying to god its not tho.

but as they said better to be safe at this juncture.

speak soon chaps...,

We hope and pray that all will go back to normal and may GOD Bless US ALL.

To all involved, all the best, my thoughts are with you. Terrible, terrible events.

Been speaking to my son who is living in Sapporo for a year. Although the earthquakes caused no damage there and life goes on as normal, my main concern is the

nuclear reactors which scare the bejezzers out of me. Here is an article from the BBC website which explains the current situation.

I wish Tario, his family and all those affected by this tradegy health and safety.

There have been two explosions at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan, following Friday's earthquake and tsunami, and a third reactor is reportedly at risk of fuel-rod meltdown.

How great a danger do these problems pose for people in Japan and further afield?

Has there been a leakage of radioactive material?

It appears so. An American warship, the USS Ronald Reagan, has detected low levels of radiation at a distance of 100 miles (161km) from the Fukushima plant.

How much radioactive material has escaped?

This is not clear. The Japanese authorities say only very low levels of radiation have been detected outside the plant. The IAEA has described it as a level four event on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES), which is used for an accident "with local consequences". No abnormal levels of radiation have yet been detected in Russia.

What type of radioactive material has escaped?

There are reports of radioactive isotopes of caesium and iodine in the vicinity of the plant. Experts say it would be natural for radioactive isotopes of nitrogen and argon to have escaped as well. There is no evidence that any uranium or plutonium has escaped.

What harm do these radioactive materials cause?

Radioactive iodine could be harmful to young people living near the plant. After the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster there were some cases of thyroid cancer as a result. People who were promptly issued with iodine tablets ought to be safe, however. Radioactive caesium, uranium and plutonium are harmful, but do not target any particular organ of the body. Radioactive nitrogen decays within seconds of its release, and argon poses no threat to health.

How did the radioactive materials escape? It appears that there have been problems with the power supply to pumps that fill the reactors with water, causing the reactors to overheat. When steam has built up to dangerous levels, small amounts have been vented. Experts say that the presence of caesium and iodine in the steam suggests that the metal casing of some of the fuel rods has melted or broken. Uranium has a very high melting point so it is unlikely to have melted, still less vapourised.

Could radioactive materials have escaped by any other means?

The authorities have pumped sea water into three reactors. This water will be contaminated by its passage through the reactor, but it is currently unclear whether any of it has been released into the environment.

How long will any contamination last?

Radioactive iodine decays quite quickly. Most will have disappeared within a month. Radioactive caesium does not last long in the body - most has gone within a year. However, it lingers in the environment and can continue to present a risk.

Has there been a meltdown?

The term "meltdown" is used in a variety of ways. As noted above, the reported detection of radioactive caesium and iodine may indicate that some of the metal casing enclosing the reactors' uranium fuel has melted (a "fuel-rod meltdown"). However, there is as yet no indication that the uranium fuel itself has melted. Still less is there any indication of a "China Syndrome" where the fuel melts, gathers below the reactor and resumes a chain reaction, that enables it to melt everything in its way, and bore a path deep into the earth. If there were to be a serious meltdown, the Japanese reactor is supposed to be able to handle it, preventing the China Syndrome from taking place. Reports suggest that underneath the reactor, within the outer containment vessel, there is a concrete basin designed to capture and disperse any molten fuel.

Could there be a Chernobyl-like disaster?

Experts say this is highly unlikely. The chain reaction at all Fukushima reactors has ceased and reactor 1 is reported already to be in a stable condition. The explosions that have occurred have taken place outside the steel and concrete containment vessels enclosing the reactors, which apparently remain solid. At Chernobyl an explosion exposed the core of the reactor to the air, and a fire raged for days sending its contents in a plume up into the atmosphere. At Fukushima the explosions - caused by hydrogen and oxygen vented from the reactor - have damaged only the roof and walls erected around the containment vessels.

Could there be a nuclear explosion?

No. A nuclear bomb and a nuclear reactor are different things.

What caused the hydrogen release from the reactor?

At high temperatures, steam can separate into hydrogen and oxygen in the presence of zirconium, the metal used for encasing the reactor fuel. This mixture is highly explosive.

How do iodine tablets work?

If the body has all the iodine it needs, it will not absorb further iodine from the atmosphere. The tablets fill the body up with non-radioactive iodine, which prevent it absorbing the radioactive iodine.

Is any level of exposure to radiation safe?

In some parts of the world, natural background radiation is significantly higher than others - for example in Cornwall, in south-west England. And yet people live in Cornwall, and many others gladly visit the area. Similarly, every international air flight exposes passengers to higher than normal levels of radiation - and yet people still fly, and cabin crews spend large amounts of time exposed to this radiation. Patients in hospitals regularly undergo X-rays. Scientists dispute whether any level of exposure to radiation is entirely safe, but exposure to some level of radiation - whether at normal background levels or higher - is a fact of life. We do not yet know how much higher than normal the levels around Fukushima are.

How do Fukushima's problems affect the rest of the world?

It depends on how much radiation is released. At present, the IAEA says the effects are of a "local" nature.

Edited by ukok

I want to update you on some of the companies in the Japan golf industry that have taken a big hit.

In Fukushima prefecture Fujikura Rubber ltd has been evacuated and families of employees are concerned about their safety. 60 employees are missing and portions of the building have collapsed. Fujikura Rubber ltd plant is located only 11km from the Otaka nuclear power plant that was damaged during the earthquake. The evacuation zone has been placed under the control of the SDF.

Yonex has taken some damage and they are urgently looking for missing employees.

SRI sports confirms 200 of their accounts are out of contact either missing or un reachable. Nike Golf Japan is unreachable, Mizuno Golf is having a very hard time contacting many of its shop accounts in hard hit areas.

As far as courses go, 9 courses in Ibaraki are closed an additional 26 courses across Japan are reporting huge cracks in the ground.

Miyagi GC has holes in the ground and many of the Fukushima courses are not open. The damage to these courses are is pretty bad.

By tomorrow I will have more information on the hardest hit golf companies, Below is some video I found on youtube showing somewhere in Fukushima pref.

Well thats why im oitta dodge

thks for this

better than the info ive recieved

still, if i start glowing i can get home in the expected blacKouts.

Too many variables for my liking

im sure the singaporians will geiger count test us on arrival

I want to update you on some of the companies in the Japan golf industry that have taken a big hit.

In Fukushima prefecture Fujikura Rubber ltd has been evacuated and families of employees are concerned about their safety. 60 employees are missing and portions of the building have collapsed. Fujikura Rubber ltd plant is located only 11km from the Otaka nuclear power plant that was damaged during the earthquake. The evacuation zone has been placed under the control of the SDF.

Yonex has taken some damage and they are urgently looking for missing employees.

SRI sports confirms 200 of their accounts are out of contact either missing or un reachable. Nike Golf Japan is unreachable, Mizuno Golf is having a very hard time contacting many of its shop accounts in hard hit areas.

As far as courses go, 9 courses in Ibaraki are closed an additional 26 courses across Japan are reporting huge cracks in the ground.

Miyagi GC has holes in the ground and many of the Fukushima courses are not open. The damage to these courses are is pretty bad.

By tomorrow I will have more information on the hardest hit golf companies, Below is some video I found on youtube showing somewhere in Fukushima pref.

Chris, the images appearing are simply harrowing and give an idea of (1) the reality that thousands of people just had no hope of escaping, and (2) the monumental task ahead of clearing up and rebuilding.

Having recently watched Queensland rebuild (it continues....) after serious floods and cyclones, the only good thing about these natural disasters is that the BEST of the human spirit can be observed during the weeks, months and years to follow. The true power of Japan will shine in this time.....that is.....its amazing, patient and resilient people!

Good news is that the Fujikura staff is all safe and accounted for now. The factory is within the 12 mile radius of the nuclear plant so it will be a while before they can assess the damages or return. It's just one of their many locations, their main office is still up and running.

Good news is that the Fujikura staff is all safe and accounted for now. The factory is within the 12 mile radius of the nuclear plant so it will be a while before they can assess the damages or return. It's just one of their many locations, their main office is still up and running.

that is very good to hear. emailed yoko at endo and she mentioned that the plant sustained little to no damage at all

and their employees are all ok. now their accounts are another story as they have a lot of dealers up north that cant

be reached. i am in awe at the resilience of the japanese people, they are already shipping out items to their respective

dealers. its amazing.

Well thats why im oitta dodge

thks for this

better than the info ive recieved

still, if i start glowing i can get home in the expected blacKouts.

Too many variables for my liking

im sure the singaporians will geiger count test us on arrival

Be safe!!! We'll be waiting for you to let us know how many tics

they get on your arrival in Singapore.

Be safe.

best of luck to you and be safe!

I don't have any first hand experience on what is really going on and how dangerous it really is in Japan at the moment. But from what I have been reading on the news I believe the worst is yet to come. My recommendation to everybody would be to get the hell out of there as soon as you can. It really scares the s**t out of me and I think Stew (supo67) did exactly the right thing to bring him and his family into safety. I hope he's doing ok now. I would be interested how Tario asseses the whole situation? Do you guys even consider leaving Japan at the moment? I hope you and your family are still well, T. That goes of course for everybody else.

Even in the worse case scenario which is not likely at all it makes no sense to leave the entire country. Is it the Fukushima reactor situation that has got you all freaked out?

Japan's in very bad shape no doubt but they will make it, its the only country that could handle a tragedy of this magnitude with this level of composure and order.

I do think this is the worse natural disaster I have ever seen in my entire life.

Even in the worse case scenario which is not likely at all it makes no sense to leave the entire country. Is it the Fukushima reactor situation that has got you all freaked out?

Japan's in very bad shape no doubt but they will make it, its the only country that could handle a tragedy of this magnitude with this level of composure and order.

I do think this is the worse natural disaster I have ever seen in my entire life.

I am also very much impressed by the orderly manner in which the Japanese have confronted the disaster that they have. The sight of the Japanese standing in line to purchase food and supplies is a testament of the quality of the Japanese society. We could all benefit from emulating them.

Shambles

For sure the natural disaster had magnitudes that nobody can really imagine. But the reactors are really what concerns me. I am really impressed by the composure of the Japanese people. Sometime I'm so impressed to a point that I don't really understand it. I also understand that it has cultural resons as well. But I'm not sure if that is all. Not sure if it's the lack of information provided to the Japanese people (or maybe to us overseas), but given the possible of scenarios, I try to get as far as I can from the reactors. That is why I was so interested in how Tario (or the people actually living in Japan) assess the situation in Japan. I know how people see the situation over here in Germany. Obviously that opinion is based on the information provided to us here.

yeah, i think alot of people get freaked out when they hear words 'nuclear', 'meltdown' and 'radiation' thrown together by news media. what they dont understand is how safe those reactor designs actually are and underestimate how well the personnel manning them is trained and educated. personally i was really impressed how well those reactors held up to what was thrown at them by mother nature. i happen to know a little about how those things work too. most people dont realize that they are most likely to get hit by a car or than get exposed because of such accident yet somehow when we drive in a car or cross a street we tend to think there is less risk involved. when people hear nuclear they associate it with nuclear bomb and related consequences. i feel like news media clowns, who know nothing about most of the stuff they report on, tend to blow things out of proportions and people trust them because they think they somehow know better. sure, there is some risk involved and in the end of the day its all about managing risks individually.

GOT TO SINGAPORE LAST NIGHT AND HAD ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT

HAD A DREAM ABOUT A QUAKE WHICH WOKE ME , COULD HAVE SWORN WE WERE SHAKING

THTAS HOW IT AFFECTS YOU.

TOKYO ITSELF HAS BEEN EVACED BY MOST FOREIGNERS AND

MOST ARE IN KYOTO OR OSAKA IF THEY STAYED IN JAPAN

NO CLUE HOW LONG IM GOING TO BE HERE FOR THATS TOTALLY UP IN THE AIR

HOPING A FRIEND OF MY WIFE CAN MOVE INTO M Y HOUSE AND KEEP IT ALL IN CHECK

ANOTHER CPL OF BIGGEISSTRUCK LAST DAYS AND THE WORRYING THING IS THE DIFFERNT PLATE IS THE ONE UNDER IZU AND FUJI IN SHIZUOKA IS THE TOKYO PLATE. THATS THE DANGER , THATS THE ONE THTA CONSTANTLY GOES OFF BIG TIME EVEYR 80 YRS THATS ONE THAT HASNT GONE OFFI N 90 YRS.

THAST THE BIG REASON IM OUT OVER HERE AT TME MOMENT

IM GETTING MY HEAD BACK IN TO GOLF NAD OUT OF SHAKES OR ILL GO INSANE

SOME NICE COURSES OVER HERE

HOPOING TOI GET A HIT SOON

WITH A CLUB...... THATS I JUST HAPPENED TO COME ACCROSS ON AN EMERGENCY FLEE TO NAKAJIMAS SHOP ON MON MORN

REPORT LATER............,

GOT TO SINGAPORE LAST NIGHT AND HAD ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NIGHT

HAD A DREAM ABOUT A QUAKE WHICH WOKE ME , COULD HAVE SWORN WE WERE SHAKING

THTAS HOW IT AFFECTS YOU.

TOKYO ITSELF HAS BEEN EVACED BY MOST FOREIGNERS AND

MOST ARE IN KYOTO OR OSAKA IF THEY STAYED IN JAPAN

NO CLUE HOW LONG IM GOING TO BE HERE FOR THATS TOTALLY UP IN THE AIR

HOPING A FRIEND OF MY WIFE CAN MOVE INTO M Y HOUSE AND KEEP IT ALL IN CHECK

ANOTHER CPL OF BIGGEISSTRUCK LAST DAYS AND THE WORRYING THING IS THE DIFFERNT PLATE IS THE ONE UNDER IZU AND FUJI IN SHIZUOKA IS THE TOKYO PLATE. THATS THE DANGER , THATS THE ONE THTA CONSTANTLY GOES OFF BIG TIME EVEYR 80 YRS THATS ONE THAT HASNT GONE OFFI N 90 YRS.

THAST THE BIG REASON IM OUT OVER HERE AT TME MOMENT

IM GETTING MY HEAD BACK IN TO GOLF NAD OUT OF SHAKES OR ILL GO INSANE

SOME NICE COURSES OVER HERE

HOPOING TOI GET A HIT SOON

WITH A CLUB...... THATS I JUST HAPPENED TO COME ACCROSS ON AN EMERGENCY FLEE TO NAKAJIMAS SHOP ON MON MORN

REPORT LATER............,

stew, glad to hear your family is safe in singapore. do update us on your situation. were you able to get the ems package i sent to you?

talk soon. your mobile the same?