New Ryoma Special Tuning Driver

Craig

After 4 rounds, this club continues to impress. At least 25 years longer then my TM 460 super quad. Although I got the 0.5 closed 10.5, I am able to fade or draw. My bad shot is still a pull hook but its me and not the club. I matched this head with a Crazy RD white in flex s/r at 46"

One thing I should mention, hitting this club at the range with the hard range ball fells harsh. It was mentioned that it felt like a soft brick. I would agree. When on the range, my shots are lower and shorter with lots of roll.

But as soon as I use my low compression ball it comes alive. Med to med high with a draw. Feel much improved and compression can be felt on the face. I can only assume it must be tuned for the distance balls and slower swing speeds. Cuts through the wind no balloning. I did notice that I needed to tee my ball up a little lower to hit the sweet spot, which seem to be middle low. Now averaging 240 to 250 and sometime when the stars align (on very hard fairways) like today on a par 5 450, I was only 150 from the green.

It just amazing. What is the COR rating, got to be more then a couple points high then the standard.

For me this is a game changer club like my PRGR eggs was. Again too bad cannot be used all the time, but it does build confidence on the course.

Edited by shintajay

Shafted mine 9* with one of my favorite what's if the part. Tour issue Bassara in stiff. I thought this would be a great comparison since I know the shaft so well.

Went to driving range. I did not feel anything harsh add others have suggested. In fact just the opposite. Very soft feeling. Flight was medium. Roll was pretty good. Add compared to my 09 Yamaha Tour with Proto FEX, it may be longer but I need more time. So much more forgiving though. Hopefully I will get some course time this week. Once I can get a firm idea of what it does, I will choose a premium shaft.

Shafted mine 9* with one of my favorite what's if the part. Tour issue Bassara in stiff. I thought this would be a great comparison since I know the shaft so well.

Went to driving range. I did not feel anything harsh add others have suggested. In fact just the opposite. Very soft feeling. Flight was medium. Roll was pretty good. Add compared to my 09 Yamaha Tour with Proto FEX, it may be longer but I need more time. So much more forgiving though. Hopefully I will get some course time this week. Once I can get a firm idea of what it does, I will choose a premium shaft.

Good feedback B. I'm the same with you, very soft feeling. the feel is one of the things I am liking the most... well maybe I like the extra distance the most. (^_^)

Now have a couple of rounds with the Special Tuning and Tour Spec Bassara shaft. I few observations.

1) Recall the TS Bassara is one of my favorite shafts having owned two of them. I have always found them to kick and feel like no other. It is a tried and true shaft for me.

2) Ryoma ST is 9.5*, 201g.

3) Face seems to sit slightly closed at address.

4) Build is 45.25", D@ swing weight.

Feel - Despite what others said, I have yet to feel any harshness. In fact, it is likely one of the softest and powerful feeling drivers I have hit.

Sound - It sounds like it explodes off the face. Neither tinny or muted.

Forgiveness - Super high as expected.

Trajectory - Can hit low shots and high bombs at will. Draws are easy, fades not so easy.

Distance - Wow. Can't say it is the head of shaft, or both however it is a rocket. I have hit places on the course, I haven't seen before. Carry is tremendous and roll out is pretty good especially when drawing the ball.

This combo is confusing me. It is so easy to hit, feels more powerful to anything I have played, and produces results. I am confused as I thought I would replace the shaft to a high T type, but now I am not sure. My only complaint is I may need a shaft that can help take the left out of play (draws are great for distance, but sometimes too much to stay in fairway).

Interesting.

• 1 month later...

I am surprised that more people are not talking about this driver. As explained in my last post, I am playing the 9.5 with JPGA Tour Bassara Griffin. I just returned from playing at an extremely tight and long Nicklaus course. Hitting it further and more accurate than ever. Baby draws and so long. Scary actually. I ate this course up because of the driver accuracy and distance. My only complaint is that the shaft can draw a little much if I am not careful. Really I can't imagine much could be easier or longer however I am open to a shaft experiment.

I'm also finding the ryoma st easier to draw. Had my install with the original royal deco sx. For some weird reason, I tend to get better result when setting up with lower tee. This is quite different from the v spec in which I have to tee it really high.

I'm also finding the ryoma st easier to draw. Had my install with the original royal deco sx. For some weird reason, I tend to get better result when setting up with lower tee. This is quite different from the v spec in which I have to tee it really high.

I'm guessing that apart from being non-conforming, the ST is probably designed to launch higher and spin more than the V-Spec hence the tee to tee the V-spec up to help with launch. That was the same experiene I had with my V-spec.

I'm guessing that apart from being non-conforming, the ST is probably designed to launch higher and spin more than the V-Spec hence the tee to tee the V-spec up to help with launch. That was the same experiene I had with my V-spec.

I find that the height of the tee effects launch and spin. I tee it medium height. Found this true with Premia also. Not any different with ST. I can have no issue hitting low balls with the ST in command.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have the 10.5 Vspec and get better results when I tee it low-ish. Staggering how far shots hit high on the face towards the toe go (about 30m further than you expect!).

I think all the Ryoma stuff is as good as it gets - sounds like you just need to be patient in finding the right shaft combo.....

Be V interesting to see what they bring out to replace the Vspec!

• 2 weeks later...

Been gaming the ryoma st/royal deco combo for couple of rounds now and had good overall impression. However, once or twice per round, I'll be hitting a top spin shot or a pull duck hook with this combo. Never had this problem with any other driver. Could this be the result of the club being too light? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Been gaming the ryoma st/royal deco combo for couple of rounds now and had good overall impression. However, once or twice per round, I'll be hitting a top spin shot or a pull duck hook with this combo. Never had this problem with any other driver. Could this be the result of the club being too light? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It happens only twice a round. I'd leave it as is.

Interesting on the feel. Maybe it's the particular combination you have. I don't like to play non conforming drivers, but man the Special Tuning is on crisp and solid feeling club. Non-conforming heads usually gives you an advantage in control also. The think face produces low spin, which equals less side spin too, which is the cause of the ball taking sharp turns :)

Wish there was somewhere here I could give this head a try..... never tried hitting a Hi Cor before

It happens only twice a round. I'd leave it as is.

Well, decided to swap the royal deco with diamana x60. This is also very long, maybe a little longer. U can swing 100% and don't have to worry about the left side.

My thought would be... you just over swung/tried to hit it to hard.

I found of all the drivers the ST likes to be hit smooth. I over swing it doesn't go half as straight or far.

Really helped my tempo which has helped my ball striking which has helped keep me in the fairway and lowering

my scores

• 1 month later...

Any more feedback from real world user? Been seeing a few now on BST and wondering why if it's giving you that extra 'yards'??

Still playing it here. Hit many of the longest balls of my life. Only complaint is it is slightly closed face. Otherwise great feel, easy to hit, and longer than anything I have in my closet.

Thanks..... Good to know its still keeping up with the hype. Apart from distance wise, how the feel and forgiveness?

Thanks..... Good to know its still keeping up with the hype. Apart from distance wise, how the feel and forgiveness?

Excellent

black faces make a square driver look closed imo. I have a special tune, I think it's the longest I've every owned. Not 100% sure. It has a CB46 in it. Before the ST I was using a V-Spec that was solid for me as well as I am not the most accurate driver of the ball.

When a square faced driver goes left for me no matter what shaft is in it, I usually make one of two adjustments. Grip or ball placement in my stance. That usually gets me sorted.