Crazy Tourspecgolf Shaft Collaboration 1 and 2

gocchin

Actually the Japanese love it. Do you think crazy would allow this otherwise.

It's designed by a full blooded nihon-gin who resides in hawaii It literally means god of wind and Divine wind. it's meaning is a source of pride and history for the Japanese.

My inbox has 11 supporting and interested and only 1 who doesn't and I thank him for his opinion but its simply a CHOICE of graphics on a golf shaft. My take is get over it there are far more offensive things going on in this world than this.

I'm not attached to this design in particular, I play a CB-46 not Royal Deco. I can kill this off now maybe, put it to a vote, or just let it be.

Let me ask you this, if someone designed a putter that said "Allah-o-Akbar" - "god is great" in Arabic would anyone be offended?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read up on the Rape of Nanking....

Kamikaze pilots hardly have anything to do with Nanking and the japanese atrocitites there, does it? Plus, it is a while back don't you think? kamikaze and Nanking = Zero interconnection. One was an act of enormous bravery or insanity, the other was an atrocity of war. Many of those by the way, commited by various nations too by the way. Kamikaze is to most people about suicide pilots, an old cultural aspect from samurai culture taken to the extreme during WW2. I personally was never disgusted by kamikaze pilots, more intrigued by the part madness/ part bravery of it all. The samurai culture was always difficult for westerners to understand, as it probably is for many japanese living today too. But suicidal missions, that have meant certain death, have been undertaken by soldiers forever for their nations, their tribes, their people or their family..I wouldn't ever call it insanity. Others may differ of course, that's their choice of course.

With your reasoning, anything that could ever be traced to japanese warriors and the japanese military by name, would make you go "read up on the rape of nanking"..Katana driver? "read up.." Yamato irons? Same..etc etc

I'm also a bit weirded out about having this kind of discussion on a golf forum, over a name on a shaft.

So here is where were at: The majority likes it. The outspoken minority feels its emotionally charged and for an understandable reason. We know the Japanese are fine with it as they know what it actually means.

Interesting that age is playing a factor in this as well, our younger clients are saying dont you dare cancel it! while some of the older gents are a bit offended.

Again I'm not attached, If it's scraped it only makes the 5 prototypes even more desired.

So here is where were at: The majority likes it. The outspoken minority feels its emotionally charged and for an understandable reason. We know the Japanese are fine with it as they know what it actually means.

Interesting that age is playing a factor in this as well, our younger clients are saying dont you dare cancel it! while some of the older gents are a bit offended.

Again I'm not attached, If it's scraped it only makes the 5 prototypes even more desired.

I can understand the Japanese like it, because to them, it's not automatically about WW2 at all, but the "great wind" you wrote about. And, since pulling out the driver sometimes feel like suicide mission (scorewise if your driving is off) or at least a big gamble, what better name than Kamikaze? :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Edited by Vegaman

Read up on the Rape of Nanking....

WTF... Why would I wanna do that?

No disrespect BUT, the naming of a Golf Shaft and what I can only imagine happened is F'ing worlds apart!!

I can understand the Japanese like it, because to the, it's not automatically about WW2 at all, but the "great wind" you wrote about. And, since pulling out the driver sometimes feel like suicide mission (scorewise if your driving is off) or at least a big gamble, what better name then Kamikaze? :tsg_smilie_smile2:

Well Said!!

Kamikaze pilots hardly have anything to do with Nanking and the japanese atrocitites there, does it? Plus, it is a while back don't you think? kamikaze and Nanking = Zero interconnection. One was an act of enormous bravery or insanity, the other was an atrocity of war. Many of those by the way, commited by various nations too by the way. Kamikaze is to most people about suicide pilots, an old cultural aspect from samurai culture taken to the extreme during WW2. I personally was never disgusted by kamikaze pilots, more intrigued by the part madness/ part bravery of it all. The samurai culture was always difficult for westerners to understand, as it probably is for many japanese living today too. But suicidal missions, that have meant certain death, have been undertaken by soldiers forever for their nations, their tribes, their people or their family..I wouldn't ever call it insanity. Others may differ of course, that's their choice of course. With your reasoning, anything that could ever be traced to japanese warriors and the japanese military by name, would make you go "read up on the rape of nanking"..Katana driver? "read up.." Yamato irons? Same..etc etc I'm also a bit weirded out about having this kind of discussion on a golf forum, over a name on a shaft.

Well, let's agree that we disagree but we agree that this is a golf forum so let sleeping dogs lie.

WTF... Why would I wanna do that?

No disrespect BUT, the naming of a Golf Shaft and what I can only imagine happened is F'ing worlds apart!!

Yeah..And even if we agree that the word kamikaze is about suicidal pilots during WW2, the rape of nanking took place in 1937, years before japan even entered the war. The kamikaze pilots flew at the very end of the war, in 1945. If I'm not mistaken, Kamikaze was actually just a name of a special squadron, there was more than one such suicide group, the other was one called Thunder God or God of Thunder or something like that. Just like many countries name their squadrons and groups within their military organisations, using legendary names.

Would anybody be offended if Thunder God was written on a club? Wait, he is actually painted on the Kamui Ray.. The horror...!

Dude,

no need to go off your rocks. Just sharing a possible reason why maybe some could be offended.

I'm not !!

ATVB

D

"Let me ask you this, if someone designed a putter that said "Allah-o-Akbar" - "god is great" in Arabic would anyone be offended?"

Uhm...actually yes I would be, or at least would not be first on line to buy the putter. I guess my question would be why choose a name that evokes the level of emotion you're hearing on this forum from a group that is generally very respectful.

Thousands of other good names out there without potentially putting TSG in an emotionally charged situation that seems to conjure up years of history and as you've already witnessed here, quite a bit of not so nice debate.

p.s. Great wind in the US also has another connotation which I will not reveal but usually happens after I have a great Mexican meal and a couple margaritas:)

Edited by swisstrader

For me as a westerner, it just seems a little lazy.... what do I meanby that?

Well its probably the only Japanese word many Westerners know, never mind what it means.... well maybe Honda :-)

I can see it generating some trash talk on the tee......

"oh oh he's playing so bad he's going Kamikaze!"

Lots of good points here, I think the safest way to handle this is to simply switch the name.

How's Stealth? Oh wait those things have caused death too.

Let's do this, the person who comes up with the name we use in the final will get a free one.

The only requirement is the shaft graphics remain the same.

Everyone happy?

There are already 5 kamikaze prototypes which of course I'm not going to destroy so those will go up for auction at a future time.

Lots of good points here, I think the safest way to handle this is to simply switch the name.

How's Stealth? Oh wait those things have caused death too.

Let's do this, the person who comes up with the name we use in the final will get a free one.

The only requirement is the shaft graphics remain the same.

Everyone happy?

There are already 5 kamikaze prototypes which of course I'm not going to destroy so those will go up for auction at a future time.

I'll go with "emperor"

Kinda keeping with Japanese Theme!!

And I Guess the Shafts Reign above all , just like TSG

Edited by DaleUK

cant we just name the shaft "divine wind" ? or keep it Kamikaze but printed in japanese calligraphy ?

NINJA OR NINJA WARRIOR!!

tourspecgolf followed by the logo would be nice or tourspecgolf limited edition or maybe, TSG-CC (for Chris's Choice).

How about sticking with the 'wind' theme, and use these in order of shaft flex:

Typhoon -Taifu

or

Tornado - Tatsumaki

or

Hurricane - Hariken

Just a thought........?..but if I win I'll have mine in a 7.2 flex please

Toro followed by Han Maguro, yummy.

Edited by potuna

How about Mofo!!