Tourstage 709mc/CB comparisons?

landshark

Bought the demo set of 709MBs. Got them yesterday. First of all guys, don't hesitate to buy a demo set from Chris and company. Only two irons have been hit and both with only a few little normal nicks on the face. All the other clubs are brand new, still in plastic. Hell of a deal.

To the irons now, I haven't hit a ball with them other than into the end of my bed and comforter but I don't know what this harsh feel talk is all about? These feel bloody amazing! I love the size of them too. Honestly, these may be the most perfect irons (looks, feel, size, setup) I've ever seen.

I'll share my range and round thoughts after they happen.

This is my first Tourstage iron so I couldn't tell ya. I love the look, size, feel so far though!

Sorry G,

Yes Mr. D picked up the 709 MC, he's always a pleasure to deal with. Sorry these pics aren't side by side.

Below pictures of the 709 CB & MC in a similar angle. As you can see neither of them have an undercut and the major difference is in the amount of mass placed lower on the club face. This mass promotes forgiveness and a little higher ball flight.

gallery_18_5_258497.jpg

Comparing the shape of the face between the two irons the MC is taller while the CB shorter and the reason for this is to keep the CG low on the CB and higher on the MC. From heel to toe the CB is longer making for a larger hitting surface in general both are shaped aggressively in between boxy and round. TourStage just about always shapes their irons angles better than most.

gallery_18_5_381207.jpg

Again these photos were not taken from the same distance but I think the images give you a good idea of what to expect. The CB from this angle looks simply like a bigger version of the MC. It's got near perfect trailing edge relief along with an attractive leading edge grind. The CB is designed to be a good sized and forgiving sole while playing as close to possible as the MC which indeed is what I think is the perfect looking sole. Whatever the case both these irons leave a really sexy foot print no doubt.

gallery_18_5_299986.jpg

From above you can see more of the same, TourStage found their ideal shape for the better player then did their best to translate that setup to a more forgiving model the 709CB. These are both X-Blade series clubs so don't expect anything too forgiving. There is a more offset, a thicker topline, and more of a presence to the CB but it is in no way big. I think it's a hair smaller than medium.

gallery_18_5_364992.jpg

Not many have hit them both. I have but only #6 and PW. The CB feels a bit softer thanks to its mass i believe very good just a little bit firmer than the latest ONOFF forged. The MC is very blade like everyone will gawk at them especially the better player. Expect only compliments but also expect blade like performance and that includes forgivness. I managed to hit a few really good shots with the MC and it does have a very nice feel when hit center but it also does have a dark side when struck toe & heel. For me, The CB would be the proper choice for my game. The MC would be my emotional decision because I crave for a forgiving iron that looks just like that.

Thanks Chris. Helps out a bit. But just a couple more things if you don't mind: is the cb pretty similar to the 705M then? Again, i just sold my xblade703. Is the cb pretty much the replacement, or is it even a bit larger than the 703? it may be hard to describe, but if you had to put in order of smallest to largest, how would you put the 703, 705m, 709cb, and the 709mc(and even the bridgestone j40pocket cavity if you're familiar)?

I appreciate any help and knowledge you can offer.

G

well ,the older (701 cb.. 901 mb ..tourstage irons)

def have a more solid impact thant thier competitiors yamaha.. srixon, onoff..................,

they actually want them to be like that..

iguess it helps you to locate exactly where ur hittitng the ball on the face and the ball never gets lost in soft muuush (???)

but ive got 5 sets of tourstage nad they are all more solid than my other similar style iron

i dont think thats a negative what so ever.

i kinda like it

the 905 mbs are def harder than the yamaha blades... (same shafts)

and the 909 well.. i gotta wait to hit them yet

unless they went softer this year ?

but traditionally tourstage irons are more solid than thier competitiors .

but not in a bd way,

my 701 cbs are superb sticks.

Yes along the lines of the 705M I would say. It's just a bit different is subtle shaping and a little more but I think they are be similar in most ways.

Stew I think the 909MB is softer than previous blades from TourStage or that could just be in my head but its for sure softer than the MC and maybe even the CB. Your right about the clicky I could get used to it.

Yes along the lines of the 705M I would say. It's just a bit different is subtle shaping and a little more but I think they are be similar in most ways.

Stew I think the 909MB is softer than previous blades from TourStage or that could just be in my head but its for sure softer than the MC and maybe even the CB. Your right about the clicky I could get used to it.

You can get used to it, the click that is. Then you play something like the RomaRo Pro,'13 Yam or the TS 909. It makes you think why would I want to get used to it. Can get all of the communication and no click, I'll go that route, thank you very much...

I played Pelican Hill this past weekend and had a chance to hit the 709MC's at the range after the round. I'll share my comments tomorrow.

If that is what no click means to you. I definitely prefer the feel of the 909 to that of the 905. The 909 seems to have a more dense feeling.

Similarly the sound at impact is a muted thud compared to the click on the 905.

How would you describe the difference in feel between the 909 and Yam Tour?

I don't know anyone who has hit both. RI? Tae?

Compared to the non Tour Yammy forged iron I would say 909 more dense while the yammy is softer neither better to each is own.

I'll just say when it comes to feel the 909 doesn't disappoint.

How would you describe the difference in feel between the 909 and Yam Tour?

Need a little more time with both, but my initial comparisons are as follows

Denser feel from the TS909. The Yams have a slightly more crisp feeling. Distance is consistent between the two and seem to have comparable trajectories. Take that with a grain of salt as they are different shafts, Thumps in the Yam and Recoils in TS. Also, the Yams are 1/8" shorter on each club. Don't think that is going to have any real impact as on the TS I grip down a hair...

Right now, if I could only choose one to play I would opt for the TS909 over the Yam, but the Yam over the TS905. The 909 vs the Yam is extremely close at this point, am really splitting hairs. The 905 vs the Yam is definitive.

Mind you we are only talking about a couple of partial rounds with either...

In spite of the mixed opinion on the matter I will try and post some additional info as I gain more experience with the clubs...

if it doesnt rain too badly tonight.. ill be able to give a report. later

im going to the range with my buddy he has the 909s. he gets the new tourstage blades every year.

ill thake my 905 and yamaha 2013 and do a bit of a hit off on range

the 909 def look a bit chunkier and thicker to the 905 i like this look a lot.

the shafts are x100 909 ns 2f15x yamaha and monacco tx 905

excited!

Edited by supo67

• 2 years later...

Hi Supo, dis you reported the 909 vs 905? and which 909 was compared?