S-Yard XV Fairway Wood Review

gocchin

My 5 wood just arrived this week and you talk about a gorgeous looking club, this club could easily replace most 3 woods (OEM's) as my PRGR Egg HD is safe but this thing delivers distance with all the forgiveness I could ask for. Good for those 225 yds - 235 yd. Tee shots when the fairway is narrow. 210 -220 off the fairways with ease. Best 5 wood I've ever owned. Love the feel of the grip and the head cover looks so good. Thanks TSG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The continuing disappointment is still going.......! Geee! What is going on? Unless the dead centre hit, it's only 5~ 10 yards longer than my 18* hybrid iron. Too much expectation or what? Maybe I need more times to get acquainted with my X'mas gift. Any trick I should know to handle this wild horse??

Different shaft might work? Heavier swing weight ( I read from some users the head is light). Actually why 5 wood when you hybrid working better?

Good Advice, and the question before getting a club is what do you want out if it? we all buy clubs for different reasons many just want the latest, some want distance while others seek feel.

The SYD to me is about feel and how it looks at setup. It's distance is average or a little shorter than the other top rank FWs.

Shorter distance is not a bad thing, the goal is to have a tool for your distances with few gaps. Longer is not better if there is a gap between the Long irons to 5 wood.

5-10 yds shorter is nothing, If my aim was distance I would have Ryoma woods, EGG irons.

There is a chance it's just not spec'd properly for your swing. In that scenario you gotta ask yourself if you love the look and feel enough to justify messing with shaft and weight vs moving on.

If distance is priority below 3 wood I suggest Ryoma UT all day. Any brand that makes a compact 3 wood version of this wins in my book.

Hi Sandee 11,What I‘m having is 3 wood, otherwise,I won't be so disappointed.

Can't agree with Chris more. After all the research, you still have to experienced youself but you have to make sure your pocket is deep enough. :tsg_smilie_smile2:

I went with the 5 wood. At 43 inches long it, the shaft is 3wood length. I hit it 240 off the tee. The shaft is good, but I may go to a heavier shaft. My miss with this is left. I am open to FW shaft selection suggestions.

I don't even play 3 wood anymore...

I went with the 5 wood. At 43 inches long it, the shaft is 3wood length. I hit it 240 off the tee. The shaft is good, but I may go to a heavier shaft. My miss with this is left. I am open to FW shaft selection suggestions.

Steve

The Crazy FW80 is heavier and gives a tighter dispersion. You would still get great distance off the tee with the added bonus of a heavier shaft.

Wow migthy Stevo! With that distance, you're sure don't need a 3 wood. Too bad, I'm not a 100+ mph type of golfer.

Only 3W and 5W at 15* and 18*.

I'm having mixed reactions about my 5W at the moment... when it's good its great but when I suck... it doesn't help me at all. Actually find the F3 easier to hit than the XV 5W, but to be fair right now my misses are on the heel side.

Wow migthy Stevo! With that distance, you're sure don't need a 3 wood. Too bad, I'm not a 100+ mph type of golfer.

I didn't mention down hill with a 30 mph wind!

It does get out there. The extra length of the shaft helps it. I am around 100MPH though...

Good for you Stevo! With your swing speed,you can still kill a lots of guys even without the wind and downslope. Anyway, compare to my Srixon W302, I think XV 3 wood did not meet my expectations.

steve.. i cant strenously push the case for the quadra fire express in this head enough.

if ur using it from a tee as well. then id prob go a bit of hot melt . and a heavier FEX in X flex.

ull need it in X...

get it to 348ish grams and u will be amazed im sure

the shaft will NOT make the ball go left no matter what u do to it.

i presume u want it for out and out distacne.

this is the king match. its uttely sensational . they were made for each other

Thanks Stew. I use the XV on tight driving holes. I am very pleased with the distance. I really like this head. I will try an FEX probably in S, i don't do well with X as my swing is more Ernie Els than Tiger. I don't really go after it.

Good advice appreciate it.

steve.. i cant strenously push the case for the quadra fire express in this head enough.

if ur using it from a tee as well. then id prob go a bit of hot melt . and a heavier FEX in X flex.

ull need it in X...

get it to 348ish grams and u will be amazed im sure

the shaft will NOT make the ball go left no matter what u do to it.

i presume u want it for out and out distacne.

this is the king match. its uttely sensational . they were made for each other

Okay Stew, so as you know I was about to put the P9003 into the XV head and then I go and read this post. I just have an FEX pro to 75x sitting here, headless needing a home. Are you saying I should throw this shaft into the XV and be done with it? Can you expand on how the FEX and XV are a match made in heaven?

Edited by Blader-X

• 3 weeks later...

After more than a month of trying, I can look at the club more fairly. If your swing speed is under 100 mph, this won't be the club that help you get to the green in two but it will help to keep you in the fairway time after time. As for my disappointment, for sure, it is shrinking every time I use it.

Okay Stew, so as you know I was about to put the P9003 into the XV head and then I go and read this post. I just have an FEX pro to 75x sitting here, headless needing a home. Are you saying I should throw this shaft into the XV and be done with it? Can you expand on how the FEX and XV are a match made in heaven?

ahhhhhhhh sorry a bout this i missed this question.

a tough decision for you bec i know u love and prob need the extra weight of the p9.

id NEVER say antyhing against the p9. but, if uwant a bit more disatance and a feel thats just WOWSAH..!

put the quadra in it . its splitting hairs really bec hte p9 is the king

sorry i cant actually answer this definitively for you. bec they are both so good.

for control use the p9 for kaboooooooooom use the f fex

ahhhhhhhh sorry a bout this i missed this question.

a tough decision for you bec i know u love and prob need the extra weight of the p9.

id NEVER say antyhing against the p9. but, if uwant a bit more disatance and a feel thats just WOWSAH..!

put the quadra in it . its splitting hairs really bec hte p9 is the king

sorry i cant actually answer this definitively for you. bec they are both so good.

for control use the p9 for kaboooooooooom use the f fex

Yea, I'm still deciding. No hurry but I keep going back and forth between the two. I'll figure it out in due time.

• 1 month later...

re bought and shafted a set of 3 and 5 woods 3 with diamana B 70x and the 5 with diamana stinger X

both tweeked by my master for ultimate performance to come out about D2 swing weight , albeit a little shorter than ud expect , which i dnt mind 1 iota as im going shorter with ALL my clubs.

well.. the 5 wood is a MEGA BEAST. i can not move this thing i milimeter on purpose to draw.

its just the ultimate point shoot fairway wood from the turf . its awsome IF you have the course to play it on which i ddint !!!!

this will be in the bag this weekend on my longer tracks and itll go head to head with the same shafted crazy f19.

my 5w ultimate test.

the 3 with the B shaft isnt as punchy as with the diamana X in it .

tha t thing from the tee is amazing, especially if u hook the ball a lot ts just unreal to play, however as i slice the X was a bridge too far esp off the deck. i just didnt have it consistant s i do with the crazy f14. weird i know but its a fact.!

with the s B shaft tho i straightened out a lot .Hheight was pretty similar. maybe slightly higher/ not quite as difficult to get well, especially off the turf i found it much easier

off the tee it wasnt as good as with the quadra fire express, but it is now a MUCH more overall easier top play 3w.

its mega straight. easy to launch and as always distance is good.

dont know if id use it as a n out adn out green seeker like the egg spoon original or ryoma f2. but its way better off the tee. so over all it think i build close to the perfeect al rounder 3 w if thats ur thing this takes somebeating

id rate this combo ****extremely high***** and better than the other shafts in it for day in out use. although not as long as the quadra nor as punchy as the X.

they might just stay a while yet this set..........,

Edited by supo67

Recently acquired a 5 wood and all I can say I wish I had met this club a lot sooner.

I have removed my 3 wood and 4 utility for this club.

I can pick the ball or hammer down on it for different trajectories. The ball goes so straight it feels unreal.

While the stock shaft does feel stout there is a unique kick that come right before impact.

This club is the real deal!!!

Agree both 3 and 5 are heat seeking missile launchers that even seem to leave tracer paths of beauty behind shots. Only dilemma I have is that when carrying both in the bag, I don't know which to pull... <g> So I've been limiting myself to one per round, and switch based on whether it's windy or not. The 3 cuts through anything. The 5 gives me more height on a calm day, but oddly the same distance, or close to it, as the 3.