The Trials with the Ryoma Maxima Type D

wmclarenf1

I’ve had the Ryoma Maxima Type D 10.5 for a while now and have since put several shafts in it. But before I share experiences about the shaft, a bit about my swing and my views on the Maxima..

I’ve got a very imperfect swing that’s past parallel (think John Daly .. not size but swing) but a swing that’s rather consistently imperfect. Swing speed measured several months back on a PRGR red eye is 91 to 95 mph with more swings being closer to 95 so I average that out at 93mph. Misses are typically high push fades. Average driving distance is 220-225 meters or approx.. 241-246 yards. Driving is the weakest part of my game. Currently playing off an inconsistent 8.2.

The Maxima head relative to the original D1 I feel gives better carry and better roll and for me, a longer head overall as well as should be the case if I feel carry and roll are better. Forgiveness wise, I find this head up there. Anywhere off center, you still get relatively little distance loss. For off center hits, its best (if there is a best for off hits) toe high I feel. It dislikes heel misses the most. For dispersion, that is very much up to the shaft as well so I’ll comment on that later. Trajectory wise, for me, loft for loft, it launches a tad higher than the D1 but not super high like one or 2 have found. My thought for a slower swing speed like mine is that I need a generally higher as opposed to a generally lower trajectory which will give better carry and better distance for the slower swing speed.

The subjective part…Feel is a tad less solid than the D1 and sound at impact less muted. Not tinggy by any means but just not as muted as the D1. It’s a tad more triangular in shape and while some have found it less eye appealing, I’m ok with it. The paintwork has a nice fume effect in the sun. Head is about 3mm shallower than the D1 and a tad longer from face to back. Mine weighs in at 196 grams and is slightly closed face as what the Type D is supposed to be.

The first shaft I put in was the Roddio M:6 SR flex. This is a very smooth feeling shaft and I would say up there with giving me some of the longest drives with the Maxima. Now although long, it was not the tightest in the Maxima for me but it did enough to show me the potential of the Maxima. I am ruthless about heads and feel that I can assess the potential for me swing early enough. While the Kamui TP07S, S-Yard 388 and Epon 102 and 103 were in and out before a speck of dust could even settle, the Maxima for me immediately showed its potential with 435 matching distance and roll. But again, the M:6 while long, was not the tightest. I am looking for the Maxima to bridge the distance gap between the D1 and 435 with the fairway finding confidence of the D1.

Next up was the Crazy CB46 6.4 which I tipped half an inch. Found that I could not launch this high enough consistently and get enough spin consistently. It did indeed help to bring down trajectory.

I then tried a Crazy LY02 6.7 in her. Lower trajectory than the M:6 and higher than the CB46 for me. Dispersion, it improved over the M:6. It was however stiffer than I prefer. I was on the lookout for a LY02 6.4 flex.

Then I stumbled on the WBQ55 SR flex. This is not a low low shaft contrary to what some may think. It’s a mid kick shaft and I think or feels to me, a tip stiffer shaft than the TJ46 which I game in my 435 and D1. Not as tip stiff as my CB46 but I did tip the CB46 half an inch. I need to indirectly thank Chiromikey who although swings much faster than I do from what I gather here and has a stronger game than I do, it was Chiro’s postings on WBQ that got me looking at it.

The Quadra Composite Fire Express WBQ 55 is a great feeling shaft.. I would perhaps say the best feeling shaft for me so far. Provides great feedback and you can feel it load so to speak. Its got a quirky color scheme of white, yellow/gold and a brown/black carbon effect at the lower end which goes well with the fume finish of the Maxima I feel. I have it playing at 45 3/8 finished length grip on and SW of close to D2.

So how does it play… I think by now, you know I like this shaft and that it is working for me in the Maxima. Great carry for me and its got roll as much as the 435 and several times more. I’ve had 2 range sessions with it and 45 holes so far. I can safely say, it matches my 435 distance wise on average but where the Maxima WBQ 55 is better for me is on long drives in the fairway. Does it find close to 90% fairways like my D1 can? Well, as I get more used to it, I think it can and if it can do so with longer drives, then objectives met with the Maxima. So far, my longer drives measured with a Leupold GX1 rangefinder with the Maxima are 256 meters, 241 meters and 239 meters or 280 yards, 263 yards, 261 yards. Now again, this is short compared to quite a few on this board but for me with my 93 mph swing speed and average distance of 220-225 meters or 241 to 246 yards, this is massive for me. Trajectory to my definition is mid high. I would say with this shaft, it launches similar to the D1 with TJ 46 bearing in mind that the TJ 46 is a low-mid kick and the WBQ55 is a mid kick.

So a happy camper I am… by shaft changes, the Maxima is probably the most expensive driver for me but from first hit, I felt it had potential and worth the trials and tribulations. It seems to be paying dividends now and long may it do so.

From my experiences with the Maxima, I would recommend that for anyone interested in it, bear in mind that loft for loft, it is likely to launch higher (not ballooning high) than your existing driver and going down 1 degree may be advisable especially if you are planning a low or low mid kick active tip shaft. If you are staying in the same loft, I would suggest a mid kick (and not higher launching) and a tip stiffer shaft is probably a good calculated bet.

Just like any driver, the Maxima is not for everyone but if the head profile suits your swing and you get the shaft loft combo right enough, I think you will find a very forgiving and long driver.

Edited by wmclarenf1

Great write up. Appreciate the shaft comparisons.

great review and im glad u found the right shaft for u. i love my combo as well and every time i step on the tee box i always wanted to pull the driver even on par 3s..lol

great write up!!
Great write up. Appreciate the shaft comparisons.
great review and im glad u found the right shaft for u. i love my combo as well and every time i step on the tee box i always wanted to pull the driver even on par 3s..lol

Thanks guys. Feedback from this board provided good indication of where to start shaft wise for my swing.

Thanks guys. Feedback from this board provided good indication of where to start shaft wise for my swing.

I believe this is what makes these boards so great. You can get a lot of info before making a decision for your particular game. If the review is done well you can translate the reviewers observations and find what works for you.

appreciated f1, will definitely get the maxima - but may pair it with my cb46 instead of LY or diamanaX. I had crazy boron in mind earlier

save some dosh for the mci's or ust prototype recoils

Edited by Chanaa

appreciated f1, will definitely get the maxima - but may pair it with my cb46 instead of LY or diamanaX. I had crazy boron in mind earlier save some dosh for the mci's or ust prototype recoils

The MCI feels really good too Chaana. Am toying around with the MCIs for my Crazy Proto irons but just not sure what weight.

Great writeup and very insightful wmclarenf1... I was particularly looking forward to your reviews as we seem to have similar preferences in driver/fw/hybrid head and shaft combos and swing speeds. You've given me a good idea of where to start in my trials.

Hmm... I have an LY-02 6.2 and 6.7 that I was planning on trying with the Maxima, but now on the lookout for a WBQ55 as well. =)

Edited by draven

Sorry, can someone shift it in "Maxima Reviews" please?-?

By the way: Great write up wmclarenf1!!

---------------

After had not much success with my loved Crazy LY01 in Maxima V 9.5 I played today the Nippon Regio Formula 55 stiff in Maxima.

What a difference...!!-))

Very straight and very forgiving. Stupid easy to hit. That combo is feeling really great.

Trajectory is at the moment a little bit to high for my taste (some other would maybe say perfect), so I don´t get as much roll out as I wish.

Will dial in during the next weeks and experimenting with the different weights.

Did I say it is straight??

The Nippon Regio Formula is a really great shaft. Much better as e.g. Rombax Type X, because dispersion is much tighter and feel is overall more stable.

Edited by sundowner

Great writeup and very insightful wmclarenf1... I was particularly looking forward to your reviews as we seem to have similar preferences in driver/fw/hybrid head and shaft combos and swing speeds. You've given me a good idea of where to start in my trials. Hmm... I have an LY-02 6.2 and 6.7 that I was planning on trying with the Maxima, but now on the lookout for a WBQ55 as well. =)

Happy to contribute my 1 cent VAT included where I can. If you have not bought your maxima yet, how are you playing your D1 TJ46 which is the same combo I have. If you like that trajectory, a 10.5 Maxima with a mid kicking shaft like the WBQ or LY02 should be able to give you that. If you like to stick with the TJ46 which is a great shaft I think, perhaps a 9.5 maxima may be better given the low mid kick of the TJ46. Feel free PM me if you feel I can help.

P.S. I see you have the 460ZR too. Probably the best feeling head still for me.

Thanks for the accurate report. I had a round of Golf with the NCAA girls touring Asia at the Discovery Bay course here in Hong Kong (Jade & Ruby). I played with the Ryoma Maxima Type-G 10.5. I am playing it with a Crazy Black Tour 65 La Bomba Flex S - Balance D2.5; Frequency 262 weight 310; I fitted this one 46.5 in Tokyo. The flight of the ball is way higher than my other Drivers; but I do like how straight it goes. I ve lost a bit of distance for the higher trajectory (sometimes not much roll); but I was always... every single shot ... straight in the middle of the fairway (250~270). I was thinking of having it re-shafted with the TJ80 I ordered for the Buchi ~ Fusodream Shepherd (Prize Driver from the Quiz) but I decided today to leave it as it is. Extremely happy with it.

Thanks for the accurate report. I had a round of Golf with the NCAA girls touring Asia at the Discovery Bay course here in Hong Kong (Jade & Ruby). I played with the Ryoma Maxima Type-G 10.5. I am playing it with a Crazy Black Tour 65 La Bomba Flex S - Balance D2.5; Frequency 262 weight 310; I fitted this one 46.5 in Tokyo. The flight of the ball is way higher than my other Drivers; but I do like how straight it goes. I ve lost a bit of distance for the higher trajectory (sometimes not much roll); but I was always... every single shot ... straight in the middle of the fairway (250~270). I was thinking of having it re-shafted with the TJ80 I ordered for the Buchi ~ Fusodream Shepherd (Prize Driver from the Quiz) but I decided today to leave it as it is. Extremely happy with it.

How is the Discovery Bay Golf Course? I've a friend that lives there and I like the place. Must be windy course?

The Maxima reviews from everyone has the same theme - great carry, forgiving, but no roll. Seems like a lot of folks have tried almost all the shaft recommended and only two or three person has actually got the right combo that fits them. I'm beginning to feel that the marketing on this driver may not be correctly depicted. Unlike the SYard .388, everyone who's tried it definitely agrees that this driver rolls a lot. Somehow, I get the feeling that the Maxima may have been hyped up way too much. However, I will continue to test out different shafts and see if it truly lives up to what it's supposed to do and see if it was worth the $ or not.

The Maxima reviews from everyone has the same theme - great carry, forgiving, but no roll. Seems like a lot of folks have tried almost all the shaft recommended and only two or three person has actually got the right combo that fits them. I'm beginning to feel that the marketing on this driver may not be correctly depicted. Unlike the SYard .388, everyone who's tried it definitely agrees that this driver rolls a lot. Somehow, I get the feeling that the Maxima may have been hyped up way too much. However, I will continue to test out different shafts and see if it truly lives up to what it's supposed to do and see if it was worth the $ or not.

The Maxima for ME gives me as much roll as my 435 and sometimes more. 388 is a dog for ME. Maybe the Maxima just doesn;t work for your swing?

How is the Discovery Bay Golf Course? I've a friend that lives there and I like the place. Must be windy course?

Thats my home course before, now i play in KL golf & country club.

DB is short, 27 holes with the main combo being diamond / ruby. There only a few holes that has tip tees. The wind does blow out there as its a mountain course, 2-3 club diff sometimes. It hugs the hill on the left side, so if you're a push / slicer, its not good. Its tight, so 3w is preferred if you are a 250y hitter. Greens are almost always uphill. Par 3s are straight fwd & par 5/ are reachable in 2.

Best time to play is nov-feb. mar-may foggy humid. Now its just plain hot & humid.

Happy to contribute my 1 cent VAT included where I can. If you have not bought your maxima yet, how are you playing your D1 TJ46 which is the same combo I have. If you like that trajectory, a 10.5 Maxima with a mid kicking shaft like the WBQ or LY02 should be able to give you that. If you like to stick with the TJ46 which is a great shaft I think, perhaps a 9.5 maxima may be better given the low mid kick of the TJ46. Feel free PM me if you feel I can help.

P.S. I see you have the 460ZR too. Probably the best feeling head still for me.

I have a Maxima 10.5 on the way... likely more mental than anything, but notice I get better results pairing a high launch head with a mid kick shaft than the other way around. To that end, based on your write up the WBQ or LY02 sound like the best place to start. In all honesty the D1/TJ46 is a great combo, and I can hit a high % of fairways with it but it definitely plays more of a safety driver role... I'm getting higher spin than optimal (no roll), and the shaft feels a little loose in that head (maybe due to the hosel height/length).

Agreed on the 460ZR... I'll never let that head go, just because of the feel. The Roddio W-6BA may not be the best match-up with it, so once the Maxima is firmly settled I may find a CB46 for this one. =)

If you like the 460ZR give the Crazy 435 a shot. Doesn't feel as good, still very sweet at impact but longer and less spin.

What we are noticing is that people who liked a lower flight deep face driver fell in love with the D-1 and were expected something very similar for the Maxima which is what Ryoma created except the face was a bit more shallow, it launched a little higher and played softer in the tip than the D1.

Outside of that all the same things apply, find the proper shaft & specs and you get tons of carry & roll. As much or more than the 388 & XV imo. Off the start I held onto my SYD's dearly but then eventually discovered that this Maxima can be a bigger bomber. I'm not as accurate with the Maxima but It's all around very straight long and easy to hit.

Remember when everyone was buying up 388s and saying there is a break in period while others were saying there is no break in needed? Well the same thing is going on here with this driver. Every driver has a break in period unless your lucky and the stock config fits you perfectly. I've seen guys hit low shots with tons of roll with this head thats whats going on for me right now playing a DI-7 stiff in mine. Right now it's both the CRZ 435 w/Boron & Maxima w/DI-7 in rotation while the SYDs are out for demo.

Chris, wondering you pair Maxima with DI7. As Maxima is high launching, wouldn´t be AD GT7 the better choice?

Yes it would make sense to try that shaft as well. Ive got a pull GT7 going in next. I did the BB6 in it but yanked it as it was a little much fade for my swing.

If you like the 460ZR give the Crazy 435 a shot. Doesn't feel as good, still very sweet at impact but longer and less spin.

What we are noticing is that people who liked a lower flight deep face driver fell in love with the D-1 and were expected something very similar for the Maxima which is what Ryoma created except the face was a bit more shallow, it launched a little higher and played softer in the tip than the D1.

Outside of that all the same things apply, find the proper shaft & specs and you get tons of carry & roll. As much or more than the 388 & XV imo. Off the start I held onto my SYD's dearly but then eventually discovered that this Maxima can be a bigger bomber. I'm not as accurate with the Maxima but It's all around very straight long and easy to hit.

Remember when everyone was buying up 388s and saying there is a break in period while others were saying there is no break in needed? Well the same thing is going on here with this driver. Every driver has a break in period unless your lucky and the stock config fits you perfectly. I've seen guys hit low shots with tons of roll with this head thats whats going on for me right now playing a DI-7 stiff in mine. Right now it's both the CRZ 435 w/Boron & Maxima w/DI-7 in rotation while the SYDs are out for demo.

Hmm... thanks for chiming in Chris. This forum as always is great (and horrible) for promoting thought. The Crazy 435 was on my list of things to try in the future as well... little hesitant due to some reports of the more unforgiving nature. I need all the help I can get. =)

Back to the Maxima though... based on T's initial write up, I thought the Maxima was supposed to play a little stiffer in the tip as compared to the D1. Regardless, all feedback indicates starting with a mid kick (for me) and going from there. Thanks!