Official TRPX Drivers and Shafts Review Thread

wmclarenf1

Great write up

You is going to have some fun with those.

One cant say you didnt start with the cream

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

id also say............. if it was wet. id prob not even sonsider anything BUT the maxima

with the diamanaX or W the flight isnt thigh.. its just not as low as i seem to like more.

id certianly not take out he 435 nor the TRPX nor the vspec.

the maruaman conductor or maxima wud be a much better ideal

Great reviews guys!

Sounds like the trpx is the real deal...but when isn't it if it comes from jbeam! I look forward to reviews with their x-line shafts...

Nice review!

The TRPX interest me, it seems that this is a combo of good feel+distance. I have hit Eca's 435, and although it out drives my Ryoma I wasn't sold with the feel.

Is the TRPX a good alternative over 435?

Yea gr8 review especially with same shafts!

I would have been surprised with your results since most reads says 435 works better with higher SS had i not witnessed my buddy Gian11 here hit mine, wrong flex for him yet outdrives his hi-cor ryoma.

I can learn to live with the feel I think lol. Its very harsh feel on off center shots giving the impression of not very forgiving. I have often swore right after miss hitting only for my playing partners to ask what are you complaining about? Hit it in the screws and its another story.

Well, I ordered a Messenger shaft to try in my t.388... Will see if it's even remotely possible for me to like anything more than I like that stock S-Yard setup... ;=]

Thanks Michael for the great info.

Seems like so far the TRPX is performing well for many people.

Lots of good feedback and results!

T so far so good. Both the head and shaft are working well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have 3 rounds in with the S Model.

9.5 Square Face

Tour AD MD6 S 44.75(Pull was 43.25 and was surprised it only came to 44.75…insertion depth is deeper than most so keep that in mind if you are going with a pull)

D3 SW(198.5g head and without the lead tape was D0 which was too light for me…I added lead tape last night and it felt much better during this morning’s round)

I love trying the latest and greatest JDM has to offer in the driver category but none have been able to unseat my two gamers this year: JBeam 425 Tour and my old TM SQ TP. Tried the PTune 313, Ryoma Maxima Type V, and Ryoma Premia most recently and neither were equal to my stalwarts.

Looks: Excellent shape and looks square at address. I don’t like deep face drivers and the S is the perfect height for me.

Sound: Quietest driver I have ever hit. After my first round I was ready to jump ship as I like the THUD sound and this definitely is not a THUD. Not tinny just a very quick dink. I cotton balled it last night and improved the sound quite a bit…more solid. More of a THWACK now.

Feel: Not unpleasant. Once again the cotton treatment at least in my mind made it feel a bit heftier. It doesn’t stay on the face very long.

Forgiveness: I am swinging the driver the best I have all year so hard to say on the forgiveness scale where it shakes out but on a couple toe swings still stayed in the fairway w OK distance. Seems friendlier than the Crazy 435 and JBeam 425 Tour. I am very pleased with the medium flight and it is most definitely medium. Very consistent ball flight and accuracy

Distance: I play at my club 99% of the time so judging distance is very easy when trying out new drivers. My swing speed is in the low 100’s and the XXX is as long as anything I have tried in the last couple years and with the exceptional run you get I have hit a few eyebrow raisers. My SQ TP is very similar in terms of landing area but the XXX easily has more roll.

The S model is a wonderful driver and the consistent ball flight/accuracy are the attributes for which I am most impressed.

Thank you TSG.

I have given the TRPX a few test rounds on select holes, but not enough yet to get a solid pattern. Based on the limited test sample results I have tweaked the setup a bit. After tomorrows round, I will have A better feel as I will test it the entire round against the PTUNE in perfect weather conditions (sunny 80 degrees) . Detailed report to follow.

I

D3 SW(198.5g head and without the lead tape was D0 which was too light for me…I added lead tape last night and it felt much better during this morning’s round)

I.

i have a D 10.5 at 200 grams and it also came out around D0 to D1 (TOO LIGHT) . with the Ratris Ravie S shaft at 45.75 inches. Since the head was made by JBEAM, I took the rear weight out of the 435 and put it in the TRPX replacing one of the lighter weights on the heel side since the face was lagging a bit open with the Ravie shaft setup. . Now its up to D5 at 45.75 inches and feels much better.. .I see the CRAZY Weight kit is on sale at the site. It should be compatible (maybe TSG can chime in here). if so I would like to have more weight options. The Ratris Ravie S is similar to the Royal DEC, it feels smoother but plays a bit softer than the same flex in the Royal DEC. This might be a better shaft option for me in the winter season in 35 to 50 degree temps. , The TOUALE S or SX is probably a better fit in prime season for me. I will test the TRPX today with the added 435 weight on the heel side and report back. .

Edited by driverhead

Ok its long and mid low 9.5deg diamana x70s

Dispersion is excellent. But this combo is a control build

The kamuipro fujikura fuel is longer 60x tho same weight head

Still gotta get it on course but im learning more about it

Not missing many, the ones i am arent killing me

But this is not overly long set up as the shaft is too smooth

i have a D 10.5 at 200 grams and it also came out around D0 to D1 (TOO LIGHT) . with the Ratris Ravie S shaft at 45.75 inches. Since the head was made by JBEAM, I took the rear weight out of the 435 and put it in the TRPX replacing one of the lighter weights on the heel side since the face was lagging a bit open with the Ravie shaft setup. . Now its up to D5 at 45.75 inches and feels much better.. .I see the CRAZY Weight kit is on sale at the site. It should be compatible (maybe TSG can chime in here). if so I would like to have more weight options. The Ratris Ravie S is similar to the Royal DEC, it feels smoother but plays a bit softer than the same flex in the Royal DEC. This might be a better shaft option for me in the winter season in 35 to 50 degree temps. , The TOUALE S or SX is probably a better fit in prime season for me. I will test the TRPX X today with the added 435 weight on the heel side and report back. .

This is interesting, we will ask jbeam about interchanging weights.

This is interesting, we will ask jbeam about interchanging weights.

I can say for sure that the rear weight of the Craxy 435 is 100% compatible with the TPLX, and vice versa. What I did was put the rear weight of the 435 in the front heel side of the TPLX removing the light heel side front weight. . I then swapped weight positions of the front light toe weight with the TPLX rear weight. The ball flight difference and feel was amazing. The default setup felt like a light Maxima D. i was hitting high slight fades and could not release the toe at impact. With the weights moved up front the head felt more substantial, like a mix between the T.388 solid penetrating hit and a Maxima TYPE V straight ball. It was a very neutral setup with a penetrating ball flight that I prefer much like the T388, PTUNE, and Fourteen CT 112 (the standout drivers for me for 2013).

Very happy with this adjusted setup (as good an initial tweak performance bump that I can remember).

The weights are of course 100% compatible. No problems using jbeam or Crazy/jbeam weights.

The weights are of course adjustable and can be tweaked like Tom did to match each individual's performance.

Second mini range session done.. this time only with the Maxima as my 435 is sold.

The 5 side by side balls (after the range rocks) I hit with the Maxima were Bridgestone B330, Bridgestone B330RXS, TaylorMade TP3, Srixon Zstar-XV and Cally Tour i(s).

Only 1 from the Maxima rolled PAST the 226m or approx. 247 yards. 4 from the XXX were straight and rolled PAST the 226m or aprox 247 yard mark. Toed one with the XXX and it ended up approx 215m or approx 235 yards.

I then hit another 12 balls.. mixture of Bridgestone B330RX, Srixion XVs, Cally Tour is, TM TPs etc with the XXX. In no order, pulled another 2 and pushed one all of which maybe ended up at the 220 m or approx. 240 yards. All the rest were straight and rolled PAST the 226m or approx 247 yard boundary.

It would appear that percentage from the small number of balls hit over 2 days, the XXX setup seems to be the most consistent for me to hit straight and long to my standards. Decent shots were all rewarded with straight drives that rolled past the boundary. None of my other drivers do this so consistently.

It's frustrating that I have not been able to get to the course this week but I have a round scheduled next week so we'll see if the XXX fares as well as it has at the range.

Awesome to here, good luck with the round and thanks for the mini-review! I am selling my Maxima and going to go with the 1-2 punch (Crazy 435 - XXX D for now).

Looking forward to another 435 vs trpx review!

Looking forward to another 435 vs trpx review!

Speaking of the 435 The light weight I removed from the TRPX I put in the back of the 435. I then took the rear weight from 440 and put it on the HEEL side of the 435. It basically had the same effect on the 435 as the weight has been moved forward. The 435 has always been a bomber, but.... I am such a feel player that the hard feel of the 435 put the club on the back burner for me. Well...

It felt amazing on the range today, and I was putting it to the net at the back of the range 255 with plenty of force to spare matching any previous setup I have.

So.. . Since we are having fabulous weather for the DC area thru Sunday with May / June Temps 85 to 88, I am having a 3 way shootout between the PTUNE, TRPX , and 435 this weekend.

Speaking of the 435 The light weight I removed from the TPLX I put in the back of the 435. I then took the rear weight from 440 and put it on the HEEL side of the 435. It basically had the same effect on the 435 as the weight has been moved forward. The 435 has always been a bomber, but.... I am such a feel player that the hard feel of the 435 put the club on the back burner for me. Well...

It felt amazing on the range today, and I was putting it to the net at the back of the range 255 with plenty of force to spare matching any previous setup I have.

So.. . Since we are having fabulous weather for the DC area thru Sunday with May / June Temps 85 to 88, I am having a 3 way shootout between the PTUNE, TPLX , and 435 this weekend.

The ptune was on my radar until the trpx came on the scene. Wish I could join you on the range for this shootout!

Btw, I added about 10g of cotton inside my 435 and it sounds and feels as good as anything right now.

Edited by chiromikey

Still getting the D-013 with X line dialed in but so far it's a super stable shaft. Going to get a comparo with the following this weekend

Ryoma Maxima V-Spec-CB50

JBeam Tour-425-LY-02

Maruman Conductor LX Deep-BB7S

Epon Zero-Diamana Stinger

Epon 460ZR-Diamana blueboard

Ryoma 435LX - Fire Express Proto

Still getting the D-013 with X line dialed in but so far it's a super stable shaft. Going to get a comparo with the following this weekend

Ryoma Maxima V-Spec-CB50

JBeam Tour-425-LY-02

Maruman Conductor LX Deep-BB7S

Epon Zero-Diamana Stinger

Epon 460ZR-Diamana blueboard

Ryoma 435LX - Fire Express Proto

Your setup came out quite stiff as I wasn't sure what to expect as your X-Line build was one of the first.

Glad to hear it is stable as that is the point of the X-Line.