wmclarenf1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

97ish. Carry about 240.

My model is a S 9.5, Messenger SR flex, .5 open, 45.25". I do not know any specs beyond that.

I have had many drivers over the years including many of the iconic ones here except never has a Crazy or Jbeam head. Plenty of experience with shafts.

Today I played a round with about 10 practice drives at the range. It is a course I only played once before. Most holes require placement of the tee shot.

Here are my initial takes on this combo.

Looks - The head is pleasant to look at. It has a very round back which is different than other drivers I have played. The finish is a metallic color and it seems to be high quality. It frames the ball nicely.

Feel/Sound - I list these together as they are closely related. Sound is muted but not quiet. It has a slight metallic sound at times. Mostly when hit high on the face. Not disturbing but rather nice. Solid sound though. The feel is very solid yet soft. The combo works well and leaves nice results when hit.

Forgiveness - I think the driver and shaft really shine here. As forgiving as anything I have owned. Tario is correct saying the Messenger shaft is forgiving. It is just plain easy to play. My miss is a toe hit. I could feel it but distance was still pretty good.

Distance - I don't have any real data but it is long. I was keeping up with guys who are usually substantially longer.

The greatest thing about this driver is how easy it is for me to get good results. I like that it isn't too demanding for me to play. A moderately good swing produces outstanding results. I can play it high or low, right or left however I don't need to put all my effort into doing so. I like a good race car like everyone else however I don't want a car that demands me to thrash it to get the best out of it. I feel like I can get a lot of club on the ball. Any club that does this with ease yet still is sleek and sexy is a winner in my book. I have 2 more rounds this week and I am looking forward to reporting more to you guys.

Awesome feedback B, the TRPX and Messenger combo is turning out quite nice for lots of players. You hit on a lot of very good points here. Both the shaft and the head are forgiving which make for an easy combo to play and easy distance + stability.

The key as I noted before, TRPX designed the Messenger not with stiffness, distance or control as the priority, but timing. With timing comes all of the above. If a shaft does not have good timing, you don't meet the ball well or square and you don't produce results. The drivers are already great heads but the Messenger adds to its greatness.

T -- I've sent my Messenger and backup t388 to Goodsie for tuning. Looking forward to seeing what that combo will be like. Will report back.

I just received the S head and messenger S. so far so good. I usually know right away if I am going to like it or not. Looks like this is a winner combo. Hit about 10 balls on the range, and some with my normal driver, Crazy 435 with CB80. TRPX was easy to launch without ballooning, and able to go straight, left or right. no problem. surprising was that it appeared to be equal or longer than the 435 on the fly, this is the first driver I have tried that I have been able to equal the 435 on distance, not sure about the roll yet. Thank you T for help with selecting the right set up for me.

i have a D 10.5 at 200 grams and it also came out around D0 to D1 (TOO LIGHT) . with the Ratris Ravie S shaft at 45.75 inches. Since the head was made by JBEAM, I took the rear weight out of the 435 and put it in the TRPX replacing one of the lighter weights on the heel side since the face was lagging a bit open with the Ravie shaft setup. . Now its up to D5 at 45.75 inches and feels much better.. .I see the CRAZY Weight kit is on sale at the site. It should be compatible (maybe TSG can chime in here). if so I would like to have more weight options. The Ratris Ravie S is similar to the Royal DEC, it feels smoother but plays a bit softer than the same flex in the Royal DEC. This might be a better shaft option for me in the winter season in 35 to 50 degree temps. , The TOUALE S or SX is probably a better fit in prime season for me. I will test the TRPX today with the added 435 weight on the heel side and report back. .

It has been longer than expected to post a followup to this as I have been playing thru a foot injury the last 3 weeks. Just not a viable test scenario. I am to the point where I can make a decent pass at the ball though not 100 % but close enough to give a followup evaluation. I have put the heaviest extra weights 2 - 6 grams up front, and 2 grams in the back. NO QUESTION THAT THE TRPX head feels more solid and substantial with the weights up front. . I'm getting the desired T388 low mid trajectory with very good rollout on soft fws (7 inches of rain the past 6 days.). This setup is very forgiving with a great overall average distance. The Fourteen CT112 is still the benchmark this year for wow factor drivers for me (near 47 inch shaft might be the reason). but Ive tried long light setups before and not had the same results. Something about the CT112 head just meshes with the way I swing. Back on point I had a a great overall driving round today with the TPLX, and have great confidence in the package that I will use it in a local tournament next week.

That said now that Ive tweaked this setup as a new baseline the S-013 IS NEXT ON THE QUEUE.

Edited by driverhead

Interesting. I think this is giving me the most run of all the drivers I've owned.

If the weight is moved up front the spin and trajectory lower dramatically.

I have played with two drivers this season: 435+TJ-80 7.4, and Mystery CF-460+Diamana X 70X. As some other members, 435 was my longest driver (275~280). Mystery played more straight yet 10~15 yds short.

My D-013 was arrived yesterday, I hit about 50 balls at range.

I would like to say every impressions are very personal. (I know there were some discussions of feeling, sound, and distance.^^)

1. Spec

D-013, 10*, 1.0* open, X-line SX, 45.25", 314g, D2.5, 278 cpm

2. Appearance

Easy to allign with target line, since the head has very straihgt face and crown. Actually, I don't like the driver with bulged face.

And, I had a plan to repaint this driver into pure black color, but I could hardly recognize metelic color finish.

This driver just looks great at address though it not traditional shape.

3. Feeling & Sound

I prefer solid (or hard?) feeling to soft feeling. I think TRPX has also solid feeling, but less metalic and springy than 435.

And...it has very unique sound: some metalic, but not so high, and little loud. I think some Callaway FT series had similar sound.

Let's put aside with the factors, because I'm not so sensitive with these aspects.

4. Distance & Ball flight

In short, distance of 435 and accuracy of Mystery!

I understand how other TRPX users hit so many fairways.

435+TJ80 was long, but the ball usually curved at the end. Mystery Diamana 70X combo is a little bit stiff and heavy for me, but it brought me deadly straight ball.

Perhaps I must test at course, today, I could make long driver with good line. I'm sure TRPX performs outstandingly.

Trajectory was little high that I prefer. I think it is matter of weight, 10~15 grams lighter than my former drivers. I'll try to change grip and weights.

5. Forgiveness

There were some shots at the toe, but the ball flied well. Definitely, some loss of distance, but not curved radically. (tolerable fade)

6. X-line

Big thumps up!

Firist, I can swing comfortably, as X-line is lighter than other shafts with similar flex.

And, I can hit the ball hard, since the shaft have no unnecessary movement during swing. Very firm shaft, but not so stout like crazy CB-50.

7. T

I knew this driver would work very well before it was delivered, because Tario recommended and set the spec for me.

If you need new club, just let him know your distance, tempo, swing style, etc. You will get the right clubs.

T, as always, you're the man!

Three rounds under my belt and no doubt this is the easiest combo I have ever played. Maybe not the longest but very close. Imo I hit an incredible number of fairways each time with little stress. Real nice when you have a second shot from the fairways. The distance is a bonus. Obvious the combo for me isn't the best for everyone however this beats anything I have owned for an all around combo. Fairways have been wet here so I am curious how it goes when dry. I haven't moved the weights around.

7. T

I knew this driver would work very well before it was delivered, because Tario recommended and set the spec for me.

If you need new club, just let him know your distance, tempo, swing style, etc. You will get the right clubs.

T, as always, you're the man!

Thanks for the kind words!

You are always very easy to help which is what makes it easy!

Glad you like the driver and that it is performing for you!

Three rounds under my belt and no doubt this is the easiest combo I have ever played. Maybe not the longest but very close. Imo I hit an incredible number of fairways each time with little stress. Real nice when you have a second shot from the fairways. The distance is a bonus. Obvious the combo for me isn't the best for everyone however this beats anything I have owned for an all around combo. Fairways have been wet here so I am curious how it goes when dry. I haven't moved the weights around.

Great to hear B. Considering how many drivers you have tried over the years, the TRPX sounds awesome for you!

Really? Mine is 201 g head it launhes low but tend to balloon.

V, you had gotten head only so perhaps the shaft is not optimal for the head?

Try doing the weights and see what happens though the weight in the back should already be the lightest.

Ill send you a pm shortly regarding a shaft. Looking for a crazy shaft to suit. ATM bb7s spins like mad. Prolly a bit tipping will do.

Wel then....it seems ive found my antidote for this head

The shaft is spot on init its so rediculously forgiving its quite special

The thing is when u hot any driver out of the screws its gling to be senational

It is however a better judge when one doesnt get themiddle everytime which is what us mortals have to put up withAnd this driver i gotta say is magnificent. Iahd it on range with 2ryomas and a kamui pro all with the same shaft and the trpx was just sensational.

The misses just kind of wander left or right

Its so confidence inspiring to really have a go at bec the misses are great

I re did the weight config once more

4/4/4... 202 gram head makes it distictly heavier swing weightand the flight is now mid

And a really tame driver .

The dead centered shots were going miles but so does everything like i said

Its when its not quite on that this thing shines In my.book

Finally got the right weightings for this head at44.875 inch.

and 2-4 grams make a HUMONOGOUS differnce, in every way to drivers.

198 gram head to 202 is very significant to swing weight and head speed and launch.

i had my ryoma stinger at the clubbuilder on friday night its 45.5 inch and i HATE that length .

i never play this thing beceasue its too long nad its a total waste of a driver for me....

ive gotta get this to my playing specs., by cutting the buttt 1/4 inch it brings the swing wight from d2.5 -d1.5 if want to go to 45 inch, which is the LONGEST iwant any driver............ im gonn end up with it at about c9........that spells disaster to me.

i think hes going to have to rebuild it completely and make the head heavier as its only 197.5 grams at the moment.

bec when the ryoma with stinger is built properly there no better driver ive ever hit.....none.

i think a lot of builds guys get and dont like are due to incorrectly researched builds. u cant just hand a driver to a builder and say here put this together, and expect tour performance, the builder must know what ur swing characterists are like to make it work well

ive been working with my guy for 6 years , he sbuilt me something like 500odd clubs all up, sets of irons , drivers, wedges, putters. u name it . my file , almost needs its own cabinet.

get a builder and speak to him for a long time and half the clubs here that i see gong inot BST bec they "dont work" will work i brilliantly f a correct build is made for that guy.. a simple cpl of grams here or there makes it a totalyl differnt club .

Edited by supo67