Jbeam 425 vs Epon Zero

mpuk

Hi all,

I find smaller heads so much easier to turn over and get that perfect baby draw so I wondered which is better between the Jbeam 425 vs the Epon Zero ?

I'm smashing the Epon Zero with a non JDM shaft (Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.3 Stiif. Plays 260 CPM @ 45" to D5 with 5" clamp) but my swing coach advises that my 157mph ball speed, 12.6* launch and 1800rpm spin would get more distance with a degree or two extra launch.

I have a Modart D 10* with Crazy CB Noir 80 7.4 LS and Jbeam 535 11* with Quadra Max WBQ 75 X coming but might find a spot for a Jbeam 425 as well if feedback is positive.

Cheers in advance

Matthew

Edited by mpuk

I honestly believe Jbeam 425 is a better head in the wind. 10.5* plenty of loft for me. I would't play anything else on links courses. My favourite all round performance head of all time. With the right shaft it is unbeatable.

I honestly believe Jbeam 425 is a better head in the wind. 10.5* plenty of loft for me. I would't play anything else on links courses. My favourite all round performance head of all time. With the right shaft it is unbeatable.

I believe you are getting a J Beam 535 also? Would love to hear that comparison.

Edited by Jeffrey Tan

when hitting the j beam 425 or the epon zero, do you tee the ball high and have a 3-4 positive angle of approach in order to maximize results?

also, any experience with hotmelt in either head

ok..,
the 425 tour is prob slightyl more true to flight, 10* is more like 9.5- 10*

the zero is 10.5* but lower morel ike 9.5*

the 425 is straighter more point shoot BUT u can defiantly make it go left right a bit if u choose. (more so that with the 435.)

the zero is almost an anti left driver. damn hard to make that draw unless u have a natural draw shape to ur swing (comapred to the 425 tour.

the zero is miles better sounding /feeling.

length .hmmmmm not sure they both get it out there ways no probs, id back the 425 tour slighty more consistanly tho bec of its unwavering accuaracy

in the wind unquestionablty.......... the 425 tour , unlees u drive with fredy funk like esque accuracy .

one is not better than the othe IMO. and if u saw the guy in my comp yesteday hit his zero with diamana X.. ud prob say the stuff i just wrote ,was crap,. the guy was awsome with it ,but his only big miss was a HUGE high slice.

if udraw the ball the zero is tterrific

So from what I am reading, the Epon Zero and Jbeam 425 are very similar in; workability, penetrating ball flight and distance but the Epon Zero feels and sounds better.

Based on the above, the Epon Zero wins ?

I posted this reply in the other thread, but seems more appropriate here:

never hit the 425, but while the Zero is a huge winner compared to many drivers when it's behaving, when it's not, the mis**t for me is a big wayward block/slice to the right. it's also very tough to get consistent results with this club unless your swing is dialed in, IMO. Unforgiving is really the perfect word to describe overall general experience, but when things are cooking, its amazing.

Can anyone quantify how much more forgiving the Jbeam 425 is to the Epon Zero ?

I hit one out of the heel with the Zero and I was surprised how far it went.

Anyone with launch monitor comparisons between the two ?

I actually like the feel of the 425, it's reminds me somewhat of the classic TourStage heads pre X-Drive.

I would say the 425 has lower spin, straighter, more mute sounding.

Zero has more spin, more hollow and soft, but to me much harder to hit.

The CG in the 425 seems higher and more forward, expect a lower traj from the 425 and more run out head vs head.

I would assume the Zero has a bit more carry.

Okay, the consensus is that the Jbeam 425 is more forgiving.

Anyone have a 10.5* JBEAM 425 for sale ;)

Edited by mpuk

zero is prob lower loft for loft.

but u will get more run with the 425.

i think ur right Chris, the 425 seems a bit lower spin, so be advised to go with a slightly higher loft than lower one.

i had an 8.5* 425 head and it was hard to control.

jbeam is more forgiving , yes

Between the 435 and Zero for me, I found them to be similarly mid-forgiving, mid launch, and both very long with the Zero slightly longer (and with better feel). I have never hit the 425 but I also hear great things. The Zero is one of those special bombers out there though if you can tame it...

There was love early on for the Jbeam 425 but the Epon Zero came back strong.

A true clash of the Titans :)

Never hit the 425, but did not like the 435's feel, sound, or performance. Tried many things including weights and shafts. None made the 435 perform for me with any kind of consistency across several rounds. The Zero on the other hand feels great and has a nice sound to it. Also can get many good consecutive driving rounds with an occasional erratic performance. Completely swing driven though.

If you want Zero like performance, sound and feel that is a little more forgiving I would encourage you to track down a Yam V203 Tour...

Hi

I have my J beam 425 10 deg with 45.25" Crazy Tour black La Bomba 65sx at D4.5. I reckon the heavier swing weight changed the feel of the club a huge amount for the better. Forgiveness wise I think it has plenty in reserve.

Only thing is I don't hit it particular low. I can send it on a high trajectory or mid. But the longest drives I have done is with a mid flight as you get the killer roll on landing.

Wondering are J Beam coming up with a new series of compact head similar to the 425?

Love to try the Zero too.