chiromikey

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chiro

you played a couple of nice courses there.

How do you rate them in the overall scheme of what you have played

Edited by Craig

Hey Craig, they were amazing. I play most of my golf in and around the Scottsdale area which is home to an accumulation of some of the best courses in the states and I believe the second most courses per state. That makes it hard for me to come across a course that leaves me speechless...but there's only a few courses up north around the Flagstaff area that can come close to matching the backdrop of what I saw in Japan! I really wanted to take more pictures but with Stew making me hit 3-5 balls per shot I just didn't have the time! Lol!!!

I can't remember the course names right now but the first course was a great layout. It really made you think about your shots and made you play a variety of shots. Unfortunately I didn't get to warm up and I was playing the A-Grinds/Modus 125 X that didn't fit my swing at all and I struggled on the front. By the turn I settled down and found Stew's Egg driver and made him swap my irons for the Masda/Modus Pro combo and things got a lot better. I'd love to think my way around that course with my own gear. It would be a fantastic challenge!

The second course really favored a draw player so it just set up to my game really well. I was familiar with the Egg for that round and although I wanted to try more stuff, I stuck with it so I could enjoy the round. I don't think I missed many fairways and I had a lot of fun with the R9 TPs/Modus 120 Protos. I hate TM but those irons are like cheating. Good grief are they easy to play and that unreal Endo feel! Because the course suited my eye I think I could score well there with a few rounds to familiarize myself.

Bottom line, both courses were top notch and enough to make me look forward to another trip!

we were at a mountian jack nicholas course sat near an active volcano about 90 mins out of tokyo

very good tthinking track plays 6800 from the blues and has some killer par 4s.

most par 5s are reachable if u get a good drive away.

chiro literally stepped off the train onto the tee box. No warm up at all.

sunday was at one of my world faves, it is a , robert von hagge course. in its heyday this was one of the pinackles of golf here, it was spectacular, but lack of funds has had an issue and its a little unkempt, but its still a killer layout. chiro scmhoked it around there with his shot tracker draw swing.!

next time were gong to fuji, think ull like those ones!

we cudnt get on there this time too busy with annoying members.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update.

I was notified last week that my shaft should be completed on the 23rd so the Quadra FEX WBQ was pulled and the 435 was shipped off to 7D for mating. We're getting close!

• 4 weeks later...

When I decided to visit 7D, I did it with the idea that my money was going towards a tourist attraction. This was just a chance to do something I've never done and couldn't do anywhere else in the world, at least not to this extent. Getting a product that was cool in the end was just a bonus. We're all bombarded with promises from the golf industry every day so when 7D made theirs (straighter and gain of 15+yds) I didn't put much faith in it. I was there far more for just the experience.

My only criteria for them was to build me a distance shaft that eliminated my draw/hook. I told them the swingweight and length I prefer but that's it. The shaft came back spec'd to 72.5g and X flex. It is a work of art, not only visually but to the touch as well. Flawless with nothing to hide.

Ok, on to my first range session this morning.

First off my 435 is set up much differently than my backup Ryoma V-Spec that I've been playing for the last several weeks waiting for my 7D. So I couldn't really get my swing grooved while on the range. Secondly, they put an Elite grip on that sucked for me. I play gloveless and finally had to dig an old glove out of my bag just to hold on to the damned thing. It's over 100* here in AZ so sweat is a big factor without the right grip. I went through my normal warm up hitting irons then woods before moving to the driver. I must have hit about 30 balls with the 7D before giving up due to the heat and exhaustion. Everything was thin and what felt like a push with a fade. In reality, they were straight but I'm very used to aiming right and drawing it back. Anyways, I was surprised that I couldn't turn a ball over right to left no matter how hard I tried, but the overall range session was a pretty big disappointment. As I left the range to head over to the first tee, I was unsettled realizing I needed more time with this combo and wishing I had the Ryoma for the round...

So, first tee...OB right, double bogey start. That's a first...I'm NEVER OB off the tee and NEVER EVER miss that far right. A few more holes go by and I can't avoid the right rough. For one I'm still not used to aiming anywhere else (unless I'm rarely trying to play a fade) and two I just can't make the contact I should. I finally realized that this shaft isn't drooping like most shafts so I teed the ball up a bit higher. I also moved the ball back to the normal position in my stance (one of my ways to fight my hook was to move the ball back a bit). Out of nowhere I hit the straightest bullet I've ever hit. Wow, I haven't felt a drive that good in over a year. Gps...332yds!!! For the rest of the round I'm planting ball after ball 300+ exactly where I'm aiming. 17 and 18 I tried to get greedy and swing harder. Results were a high push but still on the right side of the fairway. And i mean HIGH. But when I get to my ball both were still over 300yds on the gps. How can a ball fly and roll out this far without draw spin???!!! I finished the round reaching two par 5s that I haven't reached in years and two under for the round in spite of my double bogey start.

Maybe this is just the honeymoon phase but I can't argue with the outcome so far. 7D promised me they'd cure my hook and get me back over the 300yd mark (I was hitting 285 on their monitor). I scoffed off their promises with a chuckle under my breath but now I'm a firm believer.

So my initial thoughts are this, if there was ever a holy grail in golf...Seven Dreamers is it! I sure hope this wasn't a fluke!

Edited by chiromikey

It gets better. Amen.

great writeup Mikey. The shaft really does get better. I really love the fact that i can go as hard or as soft as i want with this shaft and keep it under control.

I assume you with with the 7D distance shaft?

I can't imagine it getting better but if that's the case look out!

Yep, mr.h...this is the distance shaft...that is more controlled and accurate than anything I've played so far!

oh maaan! I can't wait for my fitting!

I am in Japan now and I brought my Epon 153 head with me and got it shafted yesterday with a used Diamana W at a local Golf Effort shop.

Nice assembly work they did. This will be my baseline driver I will bring along to the fitting.

Not exactly the same shaft I use back home currently but I suppose its representative of what I typically choose . ( high kick, lower trajectory ) Still have a couple of weeks before my fitting so I am going to build up another driver with a different head. but similar specs.

Thinking of Grandista Version S for a head to head comparison. Winner gets the 7D treatment!

I don't want to leave off any potential distance in this investment if my Epon is indeed inferior to newer heads.

That is a great detailed write up Mikey & It reminded me of Jeffs Kamui when i 1st hit it.. block right.. looonnng & since i fight the left side, It brought a smile to my face. I can almost feel & as if i'm going thru what you're describing!

I guess this is the last piece for me too... might take a while though..

Unless I played the Diamana X in one of your Eggs, I've never played it and can't compare.

What I can say so far is that this feels like an X flex but it's way smoother and I don't feel a specific high, mid, or low kick point like I do on other shafts. The whole shaft works seamlessly together. It has a MUCH later release than anything I've played but it releases extremely fast. I feel like most S flex shafts unload too late or even too early if my tempo is off but many X or above don't load enough then unload too early to deliver full power. This one loads really well for X and unloads very late but delivers everything all at once at exactly the right time in my swing. It's a totally different feeling than anything I've ever experienced.

Unless I played the Diamana X in one of your Eggs, I've never played it and can't compare.

What I can say so far is that this feels like an X flex but it's way smoother and I don't feel a specific high, mid, or low kick point like I do on other shafts. The whole shaft works seamlessly together. It has a MUCH later release than anything I've played but it releases extremely fast. I feel like most S flex shafts unload too late or even too early if my tempo is off but many X or above don't load enough then unload too early to deliver full power. This one loads really well for X and unloads very late but delivers everything all at once at exactly the right time in my swing. It's a totally different feeling than anything I've ever experienced.

sounds interesting. has anyone frequencies their 7D shafts? I'm curious to know yours.

I thought the specs might be in the booklet but they use a different system (kg • x/m2)

Mine spec'd at 15.2.

X = 14.5-15.4, XX = above 15.5 according to their specs.

Don't know if that helped...lol

I thought the specs might be in the booklet but they use a different system (kg • x/m2)

Mine spec'd at 15.2.

X = 14.5-15.4, XX = above 15.5 according to their specs.

Don't know if that helped...lol

not really:)

So I hit the gym pretty hard last night and tried to play s round this morning. Couldn't even hit my wedges let alone driver. So the true test today was putting a bad swing on this thing and still ending up safe. There were several holes that I know my swing should have put me in the desert left but instead I was just in the rough. Even with the bad swing going, there were still 4 drives that put me in positions I've never been in. This thing is long!

I can't imagine ever missing a fairway again with their control shaft...!!!

Edited by chiromikey