2010 groove rule.........

Ok.. i just  had a discussion  and found an article  (  which  i think  is saying  ) the 2010 groove rule is ONLY for expert players  ,basically  the  USPGA and equivalent tournaments. so pre 2010 irons/ wedges, (especially wedges) are ok for us non experts to play in  general and in club competitions  still , now  and add inifinitum.

Correct me if im wrong BUT  the general   thinking and consensus , certianly i was guilty of  was that those old clubs are /were  illegal  from 2010 .........

it seems they  are NOT.............. they are playable  by normal golfers now 

"The USGA hasn’t been elusive about its goal – to make it more important for Tour players to hit the ball in the fairway. For the rest of us, this is really a non-issue as far as whether or not your wedges can continue to be used.

If you are a professional golfer on one of the top tours, or if you plan to try to qualify for one of the three Open Championships, you’ll probably need new conforming wedges by Jan. 1, 2010.

If you plan to qualify for any other USGA championship, you’ll need new conforming wedges by 2014. This might include the top amateur events in the nation as well.

If you don’t play those specific events, you are good to go until at least 2024 " 

can anyone  elborate on this  for IRONS   pls , i presume its the same ? 

Edited by supo

Yep, wedges and irons have the same rule. 

The rule only applies to professional or elite amateur competitions. 

In the US ... if it is a USGA or PGA sanctioned event, then this applies.   Like a State Mid-Am or a qualifying event for US Am or US Open... etc...

The rule does not apply to Men's club events at your local course nor Club Championships unless they decide to include it to their local rules. 

G-2 Groove and Punch Mark Specifications

Purpose. Effective 1 January 2010, the Equipment Rules were revised to provide new groove and punch mark specifications for all clubs other than drivers and putters. Until at least 2024, clubs made before 2010 are not required to meet these specifications.

But a Committee may choose to adopt a Local Rule requiring players to use only clubs that meet all the specifications included in the current Equipment Rules. This is recommended for use only in competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional and elite amateur competitions).

An Informational Club Database can be found at www.USGA.org to assist in finding which clubs may be used.

An exception was made for certain Ping Eye2 irons made before 31 March 1990, as stated below. The exception should not be inserted for competitions where an agreement has been reached to exclude it.

Model Local Rule G-2

“In making a stroke, the player must use clubs that conform to the groove and punch mark specifications in the Equipment Rules that took effect on 1 January 2010.

An Informational Club Database of fairway woods, hybrids, irons and wedges which have been tested for conformance to the current Equipment Rules is found at www.USGA.org.

[Exception – Ping Eye2 Irons Manufactured before 31 March 1990: Ping Eye2 irons manufactured before 31 March 1990 with a groove spacing to groove width ratio of 2.3 to 1 are allowed for play under the Rules of Golf, even when this Local Rule is in effect.

In using this Exception, the player is responsible for proving when the club was manufactured. If the player cannot do so, the club must conform to the groove and punch mark specifications that took effect on 1 January 2010.]

Penalty For Making a Stroke with Club in Breach of this Local Rule: Disqualification.

There is no penalty under this Local Rule for carrying but not making a stroke with a club which does not conform to these groove and punch mark specifications.”

Awsome.... thanks  nobs, i just found the corresponding info on the Rand A  website. 

so......as i read it  , it  means  the  pre2010 irons and wegdes are fine for normal play by mortals  untill 2024 in all  club comps. when post that date we all  have to change to modern grooves,  if ur not playing comp then it doesnt matter a toss

u beauty..

i will have to tell the lads  their  old grooves are fine, we all had the mistaken  idea they  were "OUTLAWED  from 2010 ,

cant tell you how manly sets of yammy tours/ prgrs  went  bec of that failure to read /understand the bloody rules properply!

not sure if i feel happy or mad that i ousted  so many  sets  but i can and will rehshaft my oldies and faves .

actually ........................  let me  ask you  an opinion ,

IF  ur paying for sheep stations  ( significant money) like we do in nassau  at times,

where wud u say this rule applies ?

i took the  less  aggressive,  higher  ground saying no one can play t hem unless we all do   bec i  wasnt fully informed ,   if  we all do it then its fine of course, but if one does and the rest dont  ??????

persoanlly   i think   we arnt good enough to notice any discernable differnce   in reality  but as soon as you add money all sensibilites cac change  if someone gets tanked.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh see local rules law, we make our own law ? 

local rules are dictated by the club.    My men's clubs throughout the year play preferred lie within 1 club length on fairways and 6 inches in the rough which makes our lives a heck of a lot lot easier compared to just using pre-2010 clubs.  🙂   

even this "preferred lie/pick up and replace" local rule is often debated in my club.     

I personally think amateurs should be allowed to use pre-2010 irons and wedges.    it should not make a difference in our scores. 

What I find hilarious in the above rule is that they still call out Ping Eye2 irons as exceptions...    

WTF!!   They some how think that an elite amateur or professional would consider using Ping Eye 2 irons in this day and age?  

hahahaha..  yea.. i saw that and thought there must be somethinbg id misssed!!!!

i agree there  is Nno way i can see any discernable differnce in my  shots   from 2010 to now. , zero.,  the balls put paid to any  differential the grooves can make anyway.

good ,  im back playing  my oldies. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, supo said:

Awsome.... thanks  nobs, i just found the corresponding info on the Rand A  website. 

so......as i read it  , it  means  the  pre2010 irons and wegdes are fine for normal play by mortals  untill 2024 in all  club comps. when post that date we all  have to change to modern grooves,  if ur not playing comp then it doesnt matter a toss

u beauty..

i will have to tell the lads  their  old grooves are fine, we all had the mistaken  idea they  were "OUTLAWED  from 2010 ,

cant tell you how manly sets of yammy tours/ prgrs  went  bec of that failure to read /understand the bloody rules properply!

not sure if i feel happy or mad that i ousted  so many  sets  but i can and will rehshaft my oldies and faves .

actually ........................  let me  ask you  an opinion ,

IF  ur paying for sheep stations  ( significant money) like we do in nassau  at times,

where wud u say this rule applies ?

i took the  less  aggressive,  higher  ground saying no one can play t hem unless we all do   bec i  wasnt fully informed ,   if  we all do it then its fine of course, but if one does and the rest dont  ??????

persoanlly   i think   we arnt good enough to notice any discernable differnce   in reality  but as soon as you add money all sensibilites cac change  if someone gets tanked.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh see local rules law, we make our own law ? 

Dude you aren’t a mortal?