R7 Foam Job by Joe Kwok

BJL

Like most of you, I hated the sound of my R7 TP. So, I had Joe foam the inside of the head, which added about 13 grams.

Took it out today, and I have to say it is the first metal driver that feels truly like persimmon. Totally muted, solid wood block feel. Really uncanny how the titanium feel is totally gone.

I cannot determine yet whether there has been any impact on distance, but Joe "borrowed" the driver to bomb a 330 yard drive today.

Give Joe a call and try it out.

BJL

Ahh yes mute stuff rules!!

I'm playing a 380cc Bridgestone proto and its the mutest thing I ever hit. The 2nd would be the MR-23 Driver and other Tourstage early offerings

I could only imagine what wonders J.K would do on the R7 :love:

Joe please tell us about the foam process and how many pulls it can handle before hearing a little rattle.

hey BTW has anyone hit the R7 with all the weights removed?

BTW, It's only 327 and a lucky hit! :smile1: It was pretty much side by side w/ my 1st drive. :wink:

Basically I open all the screws and inject foam from all four hole equally and let the foam expand fully and put the right weight screws back together.

It works ok if you like to play it at 44 1/2" or shorter, Other wise the swing weight will be too heavy.

Honestly Chris, This R7 is even muter than any of the driver you mention. BJL was right on the money when he said it's like the old pessimon block feel.

With TM hosel design, It shouldn't be to bad in handling the heat from pulling the shaft out, as long as carefull enough not to over heat on the lower side.

Joe! :cool:

Like most of you, I hated the sound of my R7 TP.  So, I had Joe foam the inside of the head, which added about 13 grams.  

Took it out today, and I have to say it is the first metal driver that feels truly like persimmon.  Totally muted, solid wood block feel.  Really uncanny how the titanium feel is totally gone.  

I cannot determine yet whether there has been any impact on distance, but Joe "borrowed" the driver to bomb a 330 yard drive today.

BJL

I had some rattling in my 510 TP and had it filled about a month ago with foam and I also love it. It doesnt' sound tinny anymore, and it feels so sweet when hit solid.

Like most of you, I hated the sound of my R7 TP.  So, I had Joe foam the inside of the head, which added about 13 grams.  

Took it out today, and I have to say it is the first metal driver that feels truly like persimmon.  Totally muted, solid wood block feel.  Really uncanny how the titanium feel is totally gone.  

BJL

I had some rattling in my 510 TP and had it filled about a month ago with foam and I also love it. It doesnt' sound tinny anymore, and it feels so sweet when hit solid.

It also depends on what you are used to. I grew up playing persimmon, so I like the foamed feel and sound. For those that have always played metal, they may not like it.

In foaming the R510 TP, how did you offset the gain in weight?

Guys, you really should think about using cotton balls. Believe me I must play muted woods. I put 4grams of cotton balls into the R7 through the weight ports and it feels AT LEAST if not better than any Titleist driver I've ever hit. I'm sure foam takes it to another level, but 14 grams is a s**tload of weight. The cotton works. I've had it in for about 4 months now and I haven't had any issues.

Cool, but guys I'm wondering what's up with these "loud" R7 TP's? Mine is as quiet as my R510 TP, solid and very muted, no loud report on contact so what gives???

Cool, but guys I'm wondering what's up with these "loud" R7 TP's? Mine is as quiet as my R510 TP, solid and very muted, no loud report on contact so what gives???

I agree. My R7TP was very muted as well. I had a Japanese one from Chris.

Have to agree w/ FAQ... mine is the Japanese version on the GD I65 and it is not tinny at all. Very solid.

Have to agree w/ FAQ... mine is the Japanese version on the GD I65 and it is not tinny at all. Very solid.

Just noticed you play a Nak380. Can you compare against the TP? Thanks

Hey guys, I got a bunch of PM's about stuffing cotton into the R7.

So here's the deal. Take 4 grams of cotton balls. Make sure you weight it first so you know how much you put in it. Then rip it up into tiny pieces. You can try and stuff it in there, but you will learn like I did (again and again) that the cotton is too thick and gets stuck. Then you spend the next 20 min trying to get it unstuffed. Basically all I did was I found the pointy object (in my case it was a dart) and just stuffed it in there.

Some concerns, reshafting. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do it. Incidentily this is how you remove the cotton. Heat the head and it just burns up and you can empty the ashes. I'm not exactly sure how else to do it.

Now as far as the muted feel, I've hit a couple of R7's and personally I think they all felt the same. I'm just really picky about how my driver feels. Some of you that are wondering what's up with the ting, probably just aren't as picky as I am. Good luck and remember SMALL pieces!!!!

Just noticed you play a Nak380. Can you compare against the TP? Thanks

Sure...

I have hit the R7 four times at the range but have yet to play a round with it. I have found it to be longer by 5-10 yards for me. I know it doesn't make sense - both club faces are .83 or so, but the I65 shaft seems to allow me to swing harder than the NV65 I have on the Nak. When I really go after the NV65 I get a bit quick and snap hook left. Slow it down a bit and it is long and straight. When I first got the R7 / I65, I thought it was way too whippy for a quick tempo. But there is something very special about the way the I65 loads, and I do not overpower it at all. I have not even fooled around with the weights in the R7. I have it set neutral but heavy (30 grams) and it seems very easy at the range to get into the zone with it. But the Nak is a sensational club. I have easily had my best season off of the teebox, and I have hit many fairways with it. Hope to play a round with the R7 and then see, but long term as I improve I expect it to be my first driver.