Nippon Shafts vs. True Temper Tour Concept

mauiatheart

Anyone compare the True Temper Tour Concepts to the Nippons? I have a set of Miura Tournament Blades with the Tour Concept shafts and was thinking about changing them out. No particular reason, I just see that a lot of people are using the Nippons and thought it may be a good idea to take them for a spin. Any feedback would be great since the shafts are not cheap. Thanks.

Both are as good as it gets. I have both in many sets; soft feel and wonderful control. Six in one and half dozen in the other if you ask me. Just as an FYI; I play X-flex in the Nippon 1150's and S3's in the TC's. I will never ever use anything but these two options (unless they stop making them!).

Edited by BigBen

I've the 1150GH Tour in the GD NC-1s and TC S3 in the GD MBs. The S3 is a few grams heavier. Feel on both are almost the same. Ball flight with the S3 is a bit flatter. As for distance, the S3 is about 5-7 yards longer (152 versus 145/146). For unknown reason(s), I pulled/hooked the S3 more than the 1150 ... may be due to flatter ball flight. Both are wonderful shafts. Black/Gold is the next shaft I want to try.

Whatever you do ... do yourself a favor and try the AeroTech Steelfibers before deciding. Fantastic iron shaft in my opinion for the money and results.

I'm about to replace my trusty Fuji Vista Pro's with these and that's after having tried the Rifle Project X's and Nippons.

The best of both worlds really with graphite AND steel combining for a great shaft.

I'd have to concur with BigBen. My X-blades have the 1150's in x-stiff and I really like them. I have a Tour Concept S3 in the Epon 3 iron. I did it just to give the shaft a shot. I like it. Works well in the set. Still getting accustomed to it. In my opinion, can't go wrong with the 1150's. Absolutely superb shaft. Solidly set in the bag.

i chose the tc r3 for my epon x as oppossed to the nspro 1150. for me i like the additional weight of the tc but find it a bit taxing to use as i am not accustomed to something this hefty. previous experiences were all with graphs and rifle 90 shafts. overall i love the tc and they look trick to. i noticed that my ball flight has a more piercing trajectory compared to my other shafts and distance gained is about 5-7 yards over previous ones.

i am yet to try the 1150s and i will most likely try some in the next few months. been also curious about the black golds and have newly installed ones in my old mx23. will go to test in range later and see what all the hype is about

i chose the tc r3 for my epon x as oppossed to the nspro 1150. for me i like the additional weight of the tc but find it a bit taxing to use as i am not accustomed to something this hefty. previous experiences were all with graphs and rifle 90 shafts. overall i love the tc and they look trick to. i noticed that my ball flight has a more piercing trajectory compared to my other shafts and distance gained is about 5-7 yards over previous ones.

i am yet to try the 1150s and i will most likely try some in the next few months. been also curious about the black golds and have newly installed ones in my old mx23. will go to test in range later and see what all the hype is about

Have yet to try the Black Golds in the "regular" iron shafts, but in wedges, they're UNREAL!!

Just perfect.

Have yet to try the Black Golds in the "regular" iron shafts, but in wedges, they're UNREAL!!

Just perfect.

i have your reviews on the black gold + wedge combo memorized. i have an extra piece of black golds that i am planning to put on my mx25 sw but will likely not as i hardly ever use stock wedges of my irons. will get the BGS when i get 52/56 epon x wedges in the distant future

• 3 weeks later...

I've played Dynamic Golds, Rifles, Nippon 950 and 1150, and Tour Concepts. My favorite? By far, it's the True Temper Black Golds. In my hands they seem to have the control of the Dynamic Golds, but with much more feel and smoothness, like the Nippons. Both the Tour Concepts and Nippons gave me problems with distance control. The Black Golds have allowed me the best distance and directional accuracy I've ever experienced, with a nice, smooth, controlled kick that gives highly predictable distances. I now have them in my Scratch wedges, Wishon 560 MC irons, and I've reshafted my Mizuno MP UX 2 hybrids from Nippon to Black Golds, too. I have gotten far greater consistency and accuracy with the Black Golds on my Mizuno hybrids than I ever got with the Nippon 950's.

Edited by dorkman53

I play PX and I love them. I've only tested BGs. I would probably switch if BGs came in around 115 grams like my PX 5.5s.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that I also tried a set of Project X's, too. I found that they felt great on a perfectly hit shot. They really have to be "ground loaded" by a sharply descending blow. I hit with a shallower angle of attack, and take a smaller divot, so they really didn't load properly some of the time. On a mis-hit, they are VERY harsh feeling; much worse than Dynamic Golds.

It really depends on the type of swing you have, Strikers with an aggressive tempo and transition usually do better with S300, S400, X100, Black Gold, Tour Concepts while the aggressive tempo with smooth transition would do best IMO with S200 S300 SL and NS1150.

Slower swingers will really enjoy NS850 and NS950 and 1050.

I've played Dynamic Golds, Rifles, Nippon 950 and 1150, and Tour Concepts. My favorite? By far, it's the True Temper Black Golds. In my hands they seem to have the control of the Dynamic Golds, but with much more feel and smoothness, like the Nippons. Both the Tour Concepts and Nippons gave me problems with distance control. The Black Golds have allowed me the best distance and directional accuracy I've ever experienced, with a nice, smooth, controlled kick that gives highly predictable distances. I now have them in my Scratch wedges, Wishon 560 MC irons, and I've reshafted my Mizuno MP UX 2 hybrids from Nippon to Black Golds, too. I have gotten far greater consistency and accuracy with the Black Golds on my Mizuno hybrids than I ever got with the Nippon 950's.

Interesting point you make with the hybrids. I have the stock Nippon 950 in mine, however it is the wrong shaft. I was thinking along the lines of replacing it with a GD 95 hybrid. I'm really interested in the difference the BG has made as the 950 feels weak to me.

Interesting point you make with the hybrids. I have the stock Nippon 950 in mine, however it is the wrong shaft. I was thinking along the lines of replacing it with a GD 95 hybrid. I'm really interested in the difference the BG has made as the 950 feels weak to me.

jack let me know what you decide on the hybrids. i was thinking of using nspro 950 on mine but the black golds wouldnt be a bad idea either as i am loving them in my miz mx 23s

I have always played rifles, normal, flighted and PX. Recently got some jdm with Nippon 950 in S flex. I normally like to play rifles in the 5.5 built region. The Nippons are very very very smooth! The light weight has and is taking some getting used too for me but they are a quality shaft with a smoothness that is hard to describe.

I would suggest to order and try one first perhaps not the 950 as I would have liked to have gotten the 1150's to have a closer weight to what I was used too. The 950's are fantastic for me from PW to 7 iron but 6 and up are causing me erratic distance and dispersion problems. Also the flight is too high if there is any wind blowing for these longer irons. I reshafted 6 and up with PX 5.5 soft stepped once and it is much better.

I also have some TC r3 coming and will try these out as well to see what all the fuss is about.

I am hoping that they are smooth like the Nippons, have the flight of the PX and the tight dispersion as well but without the harshness. Maybe the answer will be Nippons in 1150 for me. They certainly are a very nice feeling shaft whatever the term 'feel' actually means?

Edited by mickyboy

I started with the CWR Rifles, which always felt unfeeling and unpredictable. I then switched to the X100 which were worlds better, so I thought. At the same time, I put a Project X in a 2 iron to test it out. I liked it, but not enough to replace the x100. It was a little unfeeling but very controllable and predictable. In comes the Black Gold's--MAN! Very predictable, controllable with the kick of the X100. I feel as though it's made for both hitters and swingers. I consider myself a hitter even though I've become a less aggressive hitter as of late. I'm still able to hit a high shot as my normal flight but when I go after it, I get that piercing flight that I need. It is a must try shaft!