Epon AF-701 Iron Review

gocchin

Played 9 holes today, and I am very happy with the AF-701's. Paired with the Graphite Design Tour AD, they are winners. Smooth and far more forgiving than I expected. I hadn't been out to the course in a couple of weeks so my swing was a bit off and I only birdied 1 of 9 holes but the irons were a pleasure to play and were very forgiving for me.

I actually like the feel of the irons, yes there is a click but it's softer than what I expected from the AsRoll face. I really like them, the stronger lofts surprised me as I over hit a few, further than I expected by 10 yards or so, however they were very straight.

So far so good.

Played with these again yesterday... very happy with the performance overall, smooth and easy, just the way I like it. I can really say I'm enjoying this set of irons. (^_^)

Played with these again yesterday... very happy with the performance overall, smooth and easy, just the way I like it. I can really say I'm enjoying this set of irons. (^_^)

Gocchin:

what is your swing speed?

Since I'm considering to switch AF-701 with graphite shaft too, my ss is 92mph, currently hitting PRGR T3Red M43, PRGR TR910 and Epon 3W 13.5* w/ Roddio W6WA SR(love it the most)

However, my swing coach doesn't think I should go with graphite shaft, should stick with lite steel shaft NSPro950GH or others. If I insist with graphite, he suggest Roddio I-6 stiff, or I-10 R.

Do you think I-8 S or SR is better fit for me.... :atsg_logo_anim::tsg_smiley_crazy:

Edited by BMWM6

My swing speed now is between 85-90mph (it was like 80 earlier this year)... I use R flexes in all my woods and I prefer the lighter graphite shafts in the irons as it allows me to generate more head speed. The great thing about the current crop of JDM graphite shafts is you lose nothing in performance to steel. I was a NS Pro 950 and 850 user before and I have lost NO accuracy but gained great smooth feel and less overall weight with graphite.

Do you personally like a heavier iron? What shafts are in the TR910's now and do you like them? It's a personal preference thing really, some people like a heavier shaft weight. I think graphite pairs well with the AF-701's because of their strong lofts.

If you have the money to spend, go for the graphite, and if you like them you can keep them for future sets and sell heads only. The I-6 with low 60g weight is pretty light, similar to my Tour AD. I actually think the I-8 SR would be good for you. They would still be lighter than even NS Pro 850gh. You would have one kick ass set of irons! (^_^)

I just ordered a set of the AF-701 with NS 1150 Stiff hardstepped because my concern was hitting these irons too high. I have a set of Taylormade R7TP with the GD tour AD 115 graphite shafts. They are solid but when they got hot during the summer I would gain 5-10 yards or more in distance. I will keep the clubs in case my Tennis elbow flairs up but am hoping the forgiveness of the AF-701's along with a smooth steel shaft like the NS 1150 will work.

Those are some beautiful irons! Glad they are working out. :-)

• 1 month later...

Here you go BigBen, I posted this in another thread on GD but will post here again:

Okay, the Black G's were originally prototypes and then offered as Professional level shafts and are still used by Shingo Katayama in his Nike irons. Then GD released the Tour AD and created two lines of irons the Tour AD AD series of irons for regular users and a Tour AD Pro for low handicap and professional players.

The AD is a constant weight shaft available in 65 75 85 and 95g models and the the Pro is an ascending weight shaft starting with the 2 iron shaft at 100g then increasing 2-3g every shaft all the way down to the shortest iron at 118g. The Tour AD AD is designed for distance performance while the Pros are very much built for aim and control as witnessed by their steel like torque numbers.

The Tour AD AD was so popular though, some low handicappers complained that there were no heavier versions so GD came out recently with the Limited AD 105 and AD 115 constant weight shafts... that are customizable in color and cost a fortune, twice the amout of the Pros.

Now all the Tour AD shafts above are mid kicking shafts. The Black G's which are available in 3 models are constant weight shafts with higher kick points resulting in lower trajectory than the Tour AD's.

Expensive shafts but they look awesome...

newtourad.jpg