Epon AF-701 Iron Review

gocchin

Okay finally picked up my irons from my clubfitter yesterday. They were sitting there for a week including getting a new Graphite Design Pearl Blue SL series shaft in my Epon 460 and some tweaking on my other clubs. I took some pictures of the AF-701's this morning before heading out to the range this afternoon for some hitting impressions that I will post on this afternoon.

af701.jpg

If that set up performs half as good as it looks your handicap is

going to come way down.

Congrats on a sweet custom set. Looking forward to the reviews.

Okay avatar back to Sayumi (^_^)!

I sure hope these bring my handicap down... sadly I'm running out of time as the season is nearing an end.... I should go back to Okinawa and play all winter! Otherwise I'm happy with the strides my game has made this year, a lot of it thanks to enjoying both the game and gear I play! (^_^)

Hey Gocchin,

Nice pics - of both your girl F and your new irons. Both looks great and you know it :tsg_smiley_secret:

You need to make an Epon smiley and put it in the smiley section of this board. The new Epon irons all look stunning - they would be a hit in the US and Europe, no matter if the price is $1k for a set of sticks. Quality and great design never goes out of fashion in my world.

Initial range impressions:

Well spent the last two days at the range hitting the 701's and they are more different from the Type X than just looks. They obviously have been redesigned with a new shape and undercut, with tungsten weights forged into the sole. The design is more modern looking and size wise is a tad smaller than the Type X. Mid sized but not chunky at all. Very nice view at address. the sole is not wide, but it's leading edge is pretty forgiving a I'm a steep swinger and had no problems with it unlike some sharper leading edges like Srixon's i506. The tungsten and meaty undercut in the long irons do indeed help get the ball up.

The 701's have a different feel from the Type X, due in part to the new AsRoll face material they are using. While the Type X gave a click kind of sound at impact, the 701 is almost a subtle tink like hitting titanium. Very subtle and I didn't really notice it until I purposely listened for it.

The AsRoll face performance wise is a winner, more forgiving than the Type X. My bad iron shot is usually toward the toe as I can tense up and pull the club towards me... I hit a few close to the toe and I had to check to see if I did because they went almost just as far as hitting the sweet spot which apparently is huge. Distance wise the 701 is slightly longer, the face, while no softer than the Type X seems hotter. And AsRoll seems durable, after two range sessions, I wiped the irons clean and they look like new, the face doesn't mark, they look like they have never hit a ball.

With the strong lofts and design for high trajectory, they pair well with the mid kicking Graphite Design Tour AD shafts. Very smooth and great feel.

So far the irons look awesome and seem to perform great. I think players of any level can play this iron. Forgiving enough for the still improving player and at the same time offering enough feel and balance between forgiveness and playability for the more seasoned mid-low handicapper.

More when I get out on the course and still need to take side by sides with Type X and ViQ Forged.

i know this is a jdm forum but is there a place where people can ompare JDM stuff to USDM stuff, like the X-Forged by Callaway, I like that iron and hit is as good as my Type S.

Sure you can bring up USDM compared to JDM, it's all about us finding what's best for ourselves so if it involves testing usdm equipment, why not?

In fact I have hit the X-Forged. I went out of my way to hit them since they are from Endo. Great shape and pretty good feel but not forgiving enough for me. The AF-701's are far more forgiving. The 701's are as forgiving as the ViQ Forged which are bigger and chunkier and performance is about equal (lofts are very similar).

thanks, i hit the xforged with px6.0 yesterday and I like the way it sets up and was easy to hit for me. could be the combo.

although i like the type S, somehow the xforged seems easier and more forgiving, not really sure why.

Initial range impressions:

Well spent the last two days at the range hitting the 701's and they are more different from the Type X than just looks. They obviously have been redesigned with a new shape and undercut, with tungsten weights forged into the sole. The design is more modern looking and size wise is a tad smaller than the Type X. Mid sized but not chunky at all. Very nice view at address. the sole is not wide, but it's leading edge is pretty forgiving a I'm a steep swinger and had no problems with it unlike some sharper leading edges like Srixon's i506. The tungsten and meaty undercut in the long irons do indeed help get the ball up.

The 701's have a different feel from the Type X, due in part to the new AsRoll face material they are using. While the Type X gave a click kind of sound at impact, the 701 is almost a subtle tink like hitting titanium. Very subtle and I didn't really notice it until I purposely listened for it.

The AsRoll face performance wise is a winner, more forgiving than the Type X. My bad iron shot is usually toward the toe as I can tense up and pull the club towards me... I hit a few close to the toe and I had to check to see if I did because they went almost just as far as hitting the sweet spot which apparently is huge. Distance wise the 701 is slightly longer, the face, while no softer than the Type X seems hotter. And AsRoll seems durable, after two range sessions, I wiped the irons clean and they look like new, the face doesn't mark, they look like they have never hit a ball.

With the strong lofts and design for high trajectory, they pair well with the mid kicking Graphite Design Tour AD shafts. Very smooth and great feel.

So far the irons look awesome and seem to perform great. I think players of any level can play this iron. Forgiving enough for the still improving player and at the same time offering enough feel and balance between forgiveness and playability for the more seasoned mid-low handicapper.

More when I get out on the course and still need to take side by sides with Type X and ViQ Forged.

T,

i agree with your post. however i find the type x to have the better overall profile. the type x also seems smaller than the af701. one thing i also immediately noticed is that the x has a more muted subtle feel compared to the 701 which i hoenstly find more clicky. when i say clicky i dont mean this in a bad way but i can certainly notice a difference. also imho could just be me but the type x seems a tad softer but this may be influenced by the intitial sound at impact.

overall though i find the af701 to be more forgiving especially in the longer irons compared to the x. both though are great irons and the 701 could certainly be the ulitimate game improving irons out there. they are that easy to hit and has a more modern look comapred to the more traditional type x.

Hehe I don't have a Type X here with me right now, but I was going from memory that I thought the AF-701 was smaller. The AF-701 definitely has a tink or more metallic click to it thanks to the AsRoll face. I personally like the way the 701 sets up. Type X is a tad softer, but the 701 is as we said more forgiving.

Hehe I don't have a Type X here with me right now, but I was going from memory that I thought the AF-701 was smaller. The AF-701 definitely has a tink or more metallic click to it thanks to the AsRoll face. I personally like the way the 701 sets up. Type X is a tad softer, but the 701 is as we said more forgiving.

yupyup. not to mention the af701 doesnt have a forged face like the type x which would explain the more metallic sound at impact. to date the 701s are one of the most forgiving irons ive tried id say they felt similar to my mx23s.

The click that you hear on the 701, type X and S and 501's is normal for any undercut. The face material may affect the tone of the click but the click will always be there with an undercut. The new AsRoll material on the 701's is said to provide higher cor ie a hotter face for faster ball speeds equaling more distance. The 701's do seem longer than the Type X.

The TC-550's from fourteen look amazing. One thing I do love is the clean look and fourteen is notorious for being soft... this once again proving that Endo just simply makes some of the best irons on the planet or universe for that matter.... (^_^). I want to get a set... yeah I do. (^_^)

I am really interested in the design of these irons. I swing a 90-92mph 5 iron and am wondering if these irons are going to produce a lot of flyers. I like the forgivness and quality of construction but don't want to be wondering if my distances will be consistent. Anybody who has played these irons have any issues of flyers especially out of the rough. Thanks,

Brian

Ok, looking at the 701's sole and the fact that the tungsten weight is added to it, I'm assuming the ball flight is somewhat high. I was thinking of putting some black golds in R flex on them. Black Golds from what I understand a low trajectory shaft. My question is with this head/shaft combo, what kind of flight would you expect to have?

I am really interested in the design of these irons. I swing a 90-92mph 5 iron and am wondering if these irons are going to produce a lot of flyers. I like the forgivness and quality of construction but don't want to be wondering if my distances will be consistent. Anybody who has played these irons have any issues of flyers especially out of the rough. Thanks,

Brian

:atsg_smilie_roll::excl: Any iron might produce flyers from rough, right (regards of makes)? Is there a correlation between forgiveness and flyers?

:atsg_smilie_roll::excl: Any iron might produce flyers from rough, right (regards of makes)? Is there a correlation between forgiveness and flyers?

I know that any iron can produce flyers but not every iron has an undercut cavity that looks fairly large. I am not knocking the design. I would just like to know if these irons will produce consistent distances or should they be considered more game improvement. I guess I am hoping someone with a single didit handicap has hit these and can shed some light on the type of ball flight and response that they provide. Thanks.

Imo, depends most on your swing and the shaft you are using, The 701 lofts are jacked up so I wouldn't expect a high ball flight. When testing clubs and giving feedback online its very difficult because some players are taking lessons and have their swings dialed in not to mention they have a pure understanding of why a certain result occurs when they do this or that, while other guys are swinging at a ball and are more into gear than the swing + fitting + gear and the goal of being the best golfer they can be.

A 701 with X100's may do one thing for one golfer and a totally different thing for another. Its tuff to say and in most cases its very hard to tell ball flight by having a CG half or a full mm lower than another club.

Thanks Chris. I guess I'll just have to find out for myself this year if all goes well. Just trying to learn a little until then.

Edited by SureShot81

yes, you really need to find out for yourself. i have the type s and it suits my current game well, not hard to hit and can still work the ball when I need to. The sole isn't too thick and the best of all is the way the head looks at address, thin top line, compact head shape. It mates with the 1150 stiff well. The only thing I'm trying to work out is sometimes I would get a ball that goes too long. My typical 6 iron is 165, but lately it's going about 165 to 175 and today I got one that went 190. Makes no sense to me, it's not roll or wind. Maybe it's just my swing. I think the new EPon models can only get better.