Chrome to Satin TSG style

gocchin

I've had some requests on whether some irons and wedges that are offered in chrome can be satinized.... Chris has done a few and is currently doing a set of the r7 TP Forged...

Here are some examples for everyones reference including the crazy chromed Miura 588 forged Clevelands!!

SATIN.jpg

Wow! thats such a different visual appearance with e Fourteen TC-550 cool. My 770 need to be done that way Chris ?? :tsg_smilie_surprise::tsg_smiley_heart:

The Cleveland's look really really nice. I usually like Chrome but in this case, i'd take the satins all day long. Nice work!

Sorry if this question has already been covered in another thread, but how do you satinize a club? Can us mere mortals do it?

Me father works at Pearl Harbor Navel Shipyard in the water pressure dept. He places different finishes on pipes and other metals all day long. I'm not sure about satin, but Blasting is easy. I asked him to Blast my Friends Warrior woods to make them look like his ping g5 irons. Basic Sand Blast W/oxide pearls, did the job. I gotta get pics and post um, but his woods pretty much identical to his irons.

I'm waiting for a ping circa '60s putter I found, asked my father if he can brush the satin on that one... Hopefully I get it back soon and I'll post pics w/how he did it.

Indeed the Miura wedge looks great!!

Edited by xchangmanx

Sorry if this question has already been covered in another thread, but how do you satinize a club? Can us mere mortals do it?

I'd also like to learn how to do it. The last picture (TourStage 52* wedge) is exactly what I would like to achieve on my mirror chrom MP-33's. Can anyone teach in more detail? :tsg_smiley_heart:

I've had some requests on whether some irons and wedges that are offered in chrome can be satinized.... Chris has done a few and is currently doing a set of the r7 TP Forged...

Here are some examples for everyones reference including the crazy chromed Miura 588 forged Clevelands!!

SATIN.jpg

G – Wow did I miss something! Where did these Miura ‘forged’ Cleveland 588 wedges come from? Are these Cleveland Japan? Are the still available? They are a work of art in satin finish. Much better than chrome.

The basic tools are a buffing wheel and some compound, available at any hardware stores, and a lot of skills. Don't try this at home, unless you have junk clubs you want to experiment with.

Edited by slices

i've been reading quite a bit about removing the chrome finish on several boards and most people have been reverse plating? in any case, how ever you remove the chrome, the consensus is that there's a noticeable weight loss. I'd keep that in mind before you remove the chrome. unless of course you add something back to it. I've always love satin clubs, they exude class.

The way I do it is very simple, I tape up the face area and other areas i don't want scratched and turn the head against my buffing wheel.

The way I do it is very simple, I tape up the face area and other areas i don't want scratched and turn the head against my buffing wheel.

sounds very simple this is how you did the satinized versions of the irons posted above? they look professionaly done. what grit did you use on your wheel?

Okidoki - but how do you tape up the small areas with the stampings on - you have to be VERY VERY precise with the taping of these areas, to avoid scratching these areas during the satinizing of the club head, don't you ?

sounds very simple this is how you did the satinized versions of the irons posted above? they look professionaly done. what grit did you use on your wheel?

what you need is a buffing wheel not a grinding wheel.....most of those wheels are made of special fabric, that has some kind of compound infused in, depending on what finish you are looking for.

what you need is a buffing wheel not a grinding wheel.....most of those wheels are made of special fabric, that has some kind of compound infused in, depending on what finish you are looking for.

thank you. will do more research will prob test this on an old clyb to minimize risk and damage

Can anyone tell me more about the buffing wheel? Where can I purchase one and how much would it cost?

any home improvement shop would have one. ive seen bosch, black and decker and even dewalt in one of our local home depot outlets. you can get a basic model for under $100

I heard from my custom club guy that is also a friend and amazing at what he does, asked him about it. He said there a couple of ways 1. you take the clubs apart and put the in a tumbler with some cool stuff and it makes them that way, or 2. they keep them attached and tape up the desinated areas and blast it will fine stuff. or 3. I guess the buffing wheel way but when you buff wouldnt you take off weight of the club more then the others which just change the finish.?