2007 Yamaha Inpres X Wedge Impressions

gocchin

So it's winter here... life sucks. Snow and ice... I've been shoveling every day. I've been sick. I am not happy.

However I was lucky enough to have my brother in law ship over a set of used Yamaha Inpres X wedges for me to try out.

I've set up my training area in the basement. Big Moss green for chipping and putting. Hitting mat and net. All this so I won't go insane.

I've personally always liked the look of the Yamaha wedges...black and sexy... being an owner of a set of Yamaha Inpres X 460D irons and a 460D driver, design and quality have always been top notch.

Remember these wedges are used so they do look that way in the pics. Obviously the previous owner did not use headcovers on his wedges (yes I do) and it shows.

The Yamaha wedges have an unconventional kind of design with what they call a 3 box cavity where they remove weight from the bottom cavity to push CG higher. This is to create a lower more stable trajectory favored by many who want to control and attack the pin with heavy spin. First thing that stood out to me was the grooves.... whoa they seem deep and sharp. Yamaha boasts near right angle box like grooves and boy do they look it. They boast 10,100+ RPM backspin on a 50 yard approach shot with a 56* SW. That is nuts.

The finish is a black oxide that definitely wears with age. If it were my wedge it's still look good but the previous owner obviously neglected it a bit and touch signs of rust in the grooves and letters on the back of the wedge show. Also the Black Ox has rubbed out in areas where there was obvious bag chatter and on the sole of course from play. Overall though, reasonably durable, but those expecting their wedges stay perfect forever need not apply. I try but the reality is... wedges are meant to get down right and dirty. (^_^).

The Yamahas have three options from the factory for shafts, NS PRO 950, DG S200 or yes my favorite Graphite Design Tour AD 75 Graphite! Yeah but my brother in law is tight on the wallet so NS Pro 950GH it is.

So an afternoon in the basement, light chip shots from 25-30 feet, the wedge has a nice touch. I actually hole quite a few. I hit it against a few other sand wedges, XXIO, Sky dream Jump, Mizuno, Fourteen.... The S10C EXTRA MILD CARBON is pretty darn soft. I try a few flop shots, really get under the ball to spin it and yeah they stop on the big moss even with a 1/4 swing or so.

I move up to 1/2 swings into the net... to gauge feel. Soft, I like the feel, shaft is a bit heavy for me and I think it would feel even better with my usual Tour AD shafts but I'm not complaining. This is one nice wedge. Unfortunately I cannot test full swings without risk of destroying the basement and will not do any full swings upstairs on carpet... no I will not. Anyway got an extra Tour AD 75 going in the 56*.

Once again, I add to my list of too many nice wedges and I don't know which to bring today dilemma. Those preferring a lower trajectory wedge with serious grooves for spin control and nice feel should definitely consider this wedge. Tried to get in as close as I could on the last pic to show the grooves.

inpreswedge2.jpg

damn beautiful wedges T! yamaha has something special here. been eyeing these for quite sometime now but this will have to wait. been over my quota for wedges to last me 2 years:) btw your picture of the grooves clearly show how deep and right angle the box grooves are. they almost look illegal

BTw let us know how it feels with the tour ad 75 tnx

Just recieved my 52 and 58 950 gh stiff yesterday. Headed out to Turtlebay Fazio course first thing this morning. Layed up on almost all the holes just to hit the wedges.

My first impression after 18 holes w/the wedges: Very satisfied w/spin control and trajectory control. Softer than my spin milled w/way way way more spin. The windy course was perfect to try out the trajectory, I hit the 58* wedge full shots around 75-80 yards today with a amazing control from spin and trajectory. The 52 is a great approach wedge and I found it alittle different from my Miura51*. Setup is not as eye catching, I dont' like the square wedge design anymore (my Mirua) I kinda got used to the yamaha's after just 18 holes but the feel and sound compared to my Miura is completely different. I find the Yamaha alittle more enjoying to hit. (Fun prolly because of the trajectory and spin) Compared to my Seida, not as soft, more spin then the seida, and not as hard to hit.

My playing partner today complimented me on the wedges after sampling the 58, and also acknowledged the feel and trajectory is pretty good.

Endo forge? no wonder :atsg_logo_anim:

Played Kahuku in the afternoon. Tee off w/the 52 on a short 118 par 3. Talk about soft!! I teed up 2 sleeves just to make sure it wasn't just me.

Edited by xchangmanx

Grear feedback T, they definitely look great and thanks for confirming that the spin lives up to Yamaha's claims....

I think Yamaha has a winner here for sure, people are only realizing outside of Japan recently that Yamaha has some awesome clubs...

I'm glad you were able to get out there to really test them out!

Too many great wedges! What are you getting next? :atsg_logo_anim:

Need to use this soon:

post-8383-1197696949.jpg

post-8383-1197696956.jpg

post-8383-1197696961.jpg

Grear feedback T, they definitely look great and thanks for confirming that the spin lives up to Yamaha's claims....

I think Yamaha has a winner here for sure, people are only realizing outside of Japan recently that Yamaha has some awesome clubs...

Too many great wedges! What are you getting next? :atsg_logo_anim:

Thanks T,

(on the bag) Holy shugar!! I've never seen that BAG!! It is beautiful. Re: I have a pair of scratch wedges comin in from ari before xmas. Other than that, wanna try out prgr epon af wedge. It looks stunning in all finishes.

Thanks T,

(on the bag) Holy shugar!! I've never seen that BAG!! It is beautiful.

Yeah it's a sweet bag.... it's their pro staff bag. It's pretty pricey.

I just added it to the pro shop today. It's one really great looking bag. The white and red just look amazing!

After 4 straight days of golfing w/the impres x wedges side by side w/my tourstage marus, spin milled wedges and my Miura wedges, I can say this> "Holy mother of golf ball spin! Yamaha Rules"

I played Coral Creek on Sunday 2 rounds. All morning I was spinning the ball off the green. In the afternoon the shot was great as the greens hardened I was able to hit Medium trajectory dead shots that landed and created huge divots. I went through 2 sleeves of taylormade tp reds in the morning round because the the wedge tore the cover off the ball. (literally tore the cover off)

I think the best thing I like about this wedge is the spin and trajectory. Even w/the 950gh, I am able hit a very low trajectory dead shot w/the 59* (had the 58 bent to 59 same as my maru and miura) which was perfect because of the 30mph gusts we had this past weekend in hawaii. (Exactly what I was missing in my shot back) Normally w/my spin milled 60, miura 59, clevelands I can hit it low, but the spin will only effect the ball travel after the second bounce. I can get it to stick on 3 bounces, but w/the yamahas I am successful at getting that ball to stick on the first bounce or even bounce and spin back, "talking like 5-10' back". Further, I have never experienced a wedge that ate a ball on a half wedge shot the way this yamaha does. Father and Brother and the rest of the playing partners were joking around after the round and said that yamaha's grooves are illegal after experiencing the wedges for themselves.

I'm completely satisfied, it is a great wedge endo/yamaha put out, I will probably order a second set soon for backup, and an additional set for my brother who is now constantly asking me to borrow mine.

I have to say, I never thought a wedge like this right off the rack would kick my Marus out of the bag. o_O

Edited by xchangmanx

your review almost sounds like my impressions of my epon kzg wedges. havent been able to spin a ball backwards til i got these. im willing to try the new yamahas next year on looks alone. not only can it dance but it looks damn fine too! considering a 60 soon

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Makaha resort today, and had the pleasure of golfing w/ 808_divotmaster another TSG member. He witnessed my 52* bent to 51 from 114 out on the 14th par 5. My third shot, pin located right in the front, I hit a low 120 shot on the green, my ball bounced once and rolled back to the hole and knocked in. The amount of spin I achieve w/this wedge is just not right. In the wedge "spin" dept, this one has outdone itself.

It made my day and I was simply overjoyed, as this was my first birdie hole in from 100 yards out =) Couldn't be happier w/purchase of this pair of wedges. =))

Its to damned fun when you can make the ball spin that much. o_O I really didn't even care what I shot. I just wanted to hit those wedges again.

These wedges are quickly gaining a crazy reputation for their 10,000 plus rpm spin in Japan.... what more can you ask for? Good looks, good spin, great feel....

• 3 years later...

So it's winter here... life sucks. Snow and ice... I've been shoveling every day. I've been sick. I am not happy.

However I was lucky enough to have my brother in law ship over a set of used Yamaha Inpres X wedges for me to try out.

I've set up my training area in the basement. Big Moss green for chipping and putting. Hitting mat and net. All this so I won't go insane.

I've personally always liked the look of the Yamaha wedges...black and sexy... being an owner of a set of Yamaha Inpres X 460D irons and a 460D driver, design and quality have always been top notch.

Remember these wedges are used so they do look that way in the pics. Obviously the previous owner did not use headcovers on his wedges (yes I do) and it shows.

The Yamaha wedges have an unconventional kind of design with what they call a 3 box cavity where they remove weight from the bottom cavity to push CG higher. This is to create a lower more stable trajectory favored by many who want to control and attack the pin with heavy spin. First thing that stood out to me was the grooves.... whoa they seem deep and sharp. Yamaha boasts near right angle box like grooves and boy do they look it. They boast 10,100+ RPM backspin on a 50 yard approach shot with a 56* SW. That is nuts.

The finish is a black oxide that definitely wears with age. If it were my wedge it's still look good but the previous owner obviously neglected it a bit and touch signs of rust in the grooves and letters on the back of the wedge show. Also the Black Ox has rubbed out in areas where there was obvious bag chatter and on the sole of course from play. Overall though, reasonably durable, but those expecting their wedges stay perfect forever need not apply. I try but the reality is... wedges are meant to get down right and dirty. (^_^).

The Yamahas have three options from the factory for shafts, NS PRO 950, DG S200 or yes my favorite Graphite Design Tour AD 75 Graphite! Yeah but my brother in law is tight on the wallet so NS Pro 950GH it is.

So an afternoon in the basement, light chip shots from 25-30 feet, the wedge has a nice touch. I actually hole quite a few. I hit it against a few other sand wedges, XXIO, Sky dream Jump, Mizuno, Fourteen.... The S10C EXTRA MILD CARBON is pretty darn soft. I try a few flop shots, really get under the ball to spin it and yeah they stop on the big moss even with a 1/4 swing or so.

I move up to 1/2 swings into the net... to gauge feel. Soft, I like the feel, shaft is a bit heavy for me and I think it would feel even better with my usual Tour AD shafts but I'm not complaining. This is one nice wedge. Unfortunately I cannot test full swings without risk of destroying the basement and will not do any full swings upstairs on carpet... no I will not. Anyway got an extra Tour AD 75 going in the 56*.

Once again, I add to my list of too many nice wedges and I don't know which to bring today dilemma. Those preferring a lower trajectory wedge with serious grooves for spin control and nice feel should definitely consider this wedge. Tried to get in as close as I could on the last pic to show the grooves.

inpreswedge2.jpg

I know this is a really old post. I was wondering if there is anyone that has some of these wedges laying around (in great condition) or that can possibly get them still new (???). I would like to have them. I personally own a 56° myself and it's fantastic. Crazy amout of spin. I'm actually looking for a 52° or 60°. Not even sure they had a 60° LW in that line up back then.

wow what a timely repost! i actually am looking for the same 52/56 combo heads only for my main set. if anyone has any that wants

to trade for some epon wedges or a flat out sale let me know. have a 208 satin kgx 50 head used and a 208 60 deg new head just laying

around

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Too many great wedges! What are you getting next? :atsg_smilie_roll:

Need to use this soon:

post-8383-1197696949.jpg

post-8383-1197696956.jpg

post-8383-1197696961.jpg

tario iwant this bag mate,,where do i get it?

That bag is soooooooo cool

Loving the Bag!!