new wedge!! which one??

oukk

New season is coming and I need new wedges to get up&down with.

I was originally thinking Epon AF wedges but they were sold out!!

I also was thinking about Epon KZG wedges but the bounce angle is too much for my swing.

Please suggest me some wedges with crazy spin and hopefully doesn't shred the ball too much.

EDIT: Forged JDM wedges please~

Edited by oukk

New season is coming and I need new wedges to get up&down with.

I was originally thinking Epon AF wedges but they were sold out!!

I also was thinking about Epon KZG wedges but the bounce angle is too much for my swing.

Please suggest me some wedges with crazy spin and hopefully doesn't shred the ball too much.

EDIT: Forged JDM wedges please~

Sieda wedges, super soft and super spin w/black gold shafts.

So many great wedges right now...

It would be hard to go wrong with just about any JDM wedge that was set up for you. It may just come down to the one that offers the specs (bounce) you're looking for.

Tourstage

Miura

Fourteen

Yururi

Yamaha

Sedia

I will only suggest Japan forged wedges to you, most of the suggestions are.

Tour Seida

Raw Gekku Wedge

Fourteen Limited Edition

Royal Collection

Golds Factory

My#1 wedge suggestion and my personal gamer is the Epon 208KGX new model from Epon.

No doubt in my mind!!

Tour Sieda!!!!!! FTW

Its my favorite wedge right now!!

The Yururi black raws shafted in AeroTech i125 with a nice grip has been awesome for me. Kicked my KZGs out of the bag.

Thank you for replies.

I checked out fourteen, RC, Epon, Yururi

but doesn't seem like they have 60/06.

I think Epon AF wedges had 60/06 but they are sold out.

for 56, i think Epon KZG are fine but what should I do for 60????

Thanks in advance

Thank you for replies.

I checked out fourteen, RC, Epon, Yururi

but doesn't seem like they have 60/06.

I think Epon AF wedges had 60/06 but they are sold out.

for 56, i think Epon KZG are fine but what should I do for 60????

Thanks in advance

Its Epon 208 or KGX sir not KZG.

There are 3 bounce angles on the sole of the KGX 6/10/8, Heel is 6, middle is 10, toe is 8 all on one single wedge, I suggest you try it.

There are 3 bounce angles on the sole of the KGX 6/10/8, Heel is 6, middle is 10, toe is 8 all on one single wedge, I suggest you try it.

Wow. didn't know that.

what would be the effective bounce angles for normal shots(sqaure face) and flop shots(open face)??

Thnx

damn! i did not even know that:) i will give it a shot on wednesday.

what benefit does this have if there are difference bounce variations on HEEL and TOE? Or should it be leading and trailing edges so that there is less bounce off fairways and more bounce for say bunkers?

what benefit does this have if there are difference bounce variations on HEEL and TOE? Or should it be leading and trailing edges so that there is less bounce off fairways and more bounce for say bunkers?

The benefit of this bounce variation wedge is versatility. Remember, bounce is the angle between the leading and trailing edges.

Example: If you take a standard wedge with say 6 degrees of bounce, and you open it up to play a flop shot you actually increase the bounce angle. This is something you don't want because typical with a flop shot you're trying to slide the club under the ball of a fairway lie. With this new wedge, when you open the face the bounce angle is set at 6 degrees making it the perfect amount of bounce (IMO) to play the high-soft shot. With a shot out of taller grass or the rough, you want some bounce to be able to slide through the grass.

Then when, you're in a bunker, you have 10 degrees of bounce which is great in the sand and now you don't need to mess around opening the club face. You just swing behind the ball, letting the bounce of the club do the work in getting the ball out. This is actually a very popular method on tour now with guys using 60 degree wedges in bunkers and not opening up the face.

As far as the 8 degree bounce on the toe, I would say there again is a benefit, particularly if you play chip shots by setting up with the heel of the club slightly off the ground. This would effectively make the club contact the ground with the toe of the club. Again, this is one method which helps to not make contact with the ball before hitting the ground; essential to making a good chip. If you have less bounce on the toe, logic dictates a better hit.

I would think on full shots, there should be no problem with a standard club face position and 10 degrees of bounce. One is using a lot more force in striking the ball and the bounce won't really be that much of a factor on the hit. Its with all the other short game shots where I think this wedge with its bounce variations will shine. Most of the other shots I described are not hit with full force and its in these situations where the bounce can affect the shot.

The benefit of this bounce variation wedge is versatility. Remember, bounce is the angle between the leading and trailing edges.

Example: If you take a standard wedge with say 6 degrees of bounce, and you open it up to play a flop shot you actually increase the bounce angle. This is something you don't want because typical with a flop shot you're trying to slide the club under the ball of a fairway lie. With this new wedge, when you open the face the bounce angle is set at 6 degrees making it the perfect amount of bounce (IMO) to play the high-soft shot. With a shot out of taller grass or the rough, you want some bounce to be able to slide through the grass.

Then when, you're in a bunker, you have 10 degrees of bounce which is great in the sand and now you don't need to mess around opening the club face. You just swing behind the ball, letting the bounce of the club do the work in getting the ball out. This is actually a very popular method on tour now with guys using 60 degree wedges in bunkers and not opening up the face.

As far as the 8 degree bounce on the toe, I would say there again is a benefit, particularly if you play chip shots by setting up with the heel of the club slightly off the ground. This would effectively make the club contact the ground with the toe of the club. Again, this is one method which helps to not make contact with the ball before hitting the ground; essential to making a good chip. If you have less bounce on the toe, logic dictates a better hit.

I would think on full shots, there should be no problem with a standard club face position and 10 degrees of bounce. One is using a lot more force in striking the ball and the bounce won't really be that much of a factor on the hit. Its with all the other short game shots where I think this wedge with its bounce variations will shine. Most of the other shots I described are not hit with full force and its in these situations where the bounce can affect the shot.

Thanks for the effort and detailed reply. I guess the heel and toe bounce here I normally refer to as relief. Case of semantics I guess. I took a look at the head yesterday and will take aoher look a it tonight. Not sure if what you say works against what I see in the head and the sole. But just me though.

Great detailed analysis B! i have a bad habit of opening my face in bunkers. will defintely try the tips you mentioned. thanks

Great detailed analysis B! i have a bad habit of opening my face in bunkers. will defintely try the tips you mentioned. thanks

That's actually how the sand shot was taught for a long time and still is to some extent. However with the 60 degrees wedges and even 58's now, I notice I see a lot more players using those from sand without opening the face and letting the bounce work for them. I myself still use the 56 from the sand and I do open the face a little or a lot depending upon the shot I'm trying to hit. I do not use my 60 from the sand a whole lot just because it has very little bounce. I have from time to time but for me, its usually the 56. However, now with all the special grinds and variations in bounce on just one club, that one club becomes much more versatile. Could possibly even help to eliminate a club from the bag to make way for a different one.

Did someone say, "Bad habit of opening the face of their club in the bunker"? I hope not, because if you read the 2008 February edition of Golf Digest, the number one player in the world and maybe of all time writes that he opens the face of his wedge in the sand and makes sure that the bounce on the bottom of the club enters the sand first and not the leading edge. I am sure some pros are using 60 degree wedges and not opening the face up, but they practice a bit more and are just a little bit more skilled that most of us. Opening the face of the SW in the bunker has to still be the standard and the easiest way to get out of a bunker. In fact, I would have to say that most higher handicappers I play with have no idea about opening the face of the SW and therefore, are not able to get out of the sand with any success.

What's good enough for Tiger is good enough for me.

Doc

Edited by The Doc

I cant believe the chikara's have not come up yet??

I cant believe the chikara's have not come up yet??

We don't support Chikara at all here at TSG, we used to and it is a decent yet extremely overpriced Kyoei forged wedge but the info from many in Japan about the owner have proven him dishonest among other things. TSG has had a very bad experience with him as well.

that is totally understandable , but I know a bunch of guys on here play this wedge, soooo is it the best out there right now, or is it one of the above??

I have a pair of chikara's I bought from Mililani GC, where they carry Carl's wedges. I guess its no problem here in Hawaii, being that he has a shop setup near diamond head.

On the wedges, awesome grind, cuts through the ground no prob.

PS I heard he is coming out w/cavity backs and blades soon. (carl)

That is a matter of the players opinion. They for sure are not the best made wedges so that only leaves how the grind plays for you. If the grind plays good for your conditions, the feel pleases you and the style is what you desire, then they are the right wedges for you.

My preference :

1. Material, the wedge must be made of Japanese soft forged steel like 1020 also 2 x density pressed but 6 x completed press overall.

( I prefer if the billet was originally from Sumitomo before it was forged )

2. The wedge must be designed and tested by Pro's, and average players not to mention dynamic performance reaction in Auto CAD.

3. The wedge must be designed in Auto CAD and a direct tooling made insuring quality of build, consistent CG placement with no variables.

4. The leading score line must line up square to the target with no manipulation by the hands.

* Grind, and details of the wedge should depend on the player and their course conditions *

I can go on about how the tooling should be made vs others and how the hot forging cools so that the density doesn't warp around the neck area but there is no need to. Of the list i mentioned in my first post there is one wedge that 1 of the top 5 players in the world just had to have but his OEM couldn't share, secure or purchase the design from the factory. If you guy's new who it was, the nation/world would be all over it like hot cakes. :tsg_smiley_putter2:

Smaller less established wedge companies buy 4 x pressed forged heads from foundries. The billet is pressed into an overweight generic form like those raw heads I used to have for sale. Then they grind these heads to a shape and when they are done balance it to find the CG, then they engrave it and plate or finish these heads. Brands without the capability to sell over 10,000 + wedges and pay expensive die or tooling costs or have a place manufacture the wedge at the absolute highest quality have a huge disadvantage in quality, tolerance, and overall look of the product.

Everyone has their opinion here but one undisputed fact is that the new Epon 208KGX wedge is the best quality manufactured and best designed wedge EVER made. Most huge OEMs have 1-3 Cad experts and designers working on their wedge. The Epon product is usually a competition of 31 Cad Artists and Designers for who can make the best product, not to mention these designers had to adjust, enhance, or work with most of the worlds OEM's high quality forged product giving Epon a vastly superior and distinct advantage.

Another way to put it for you auto junkies is, would you rather buy a Porsche at the price of a VW, or buy a VW at the price of a Porsche?

Sorry about that.

I'll definately look into KGX wedges.

I really want to try those wedges before I purchase.

gocchin where are you????

I'll definately look into KGX wedges.

I really want to try those wedges before I purchase.

gocchin where are you????

I think he's too busy practicing his WITB Clubs...

Epon EMB - Tour AD for EMB

Royal Collection Star FD 3W - Tour AD W-50

Epon AF-201 5W - Axiv 5052L

PRGR EGG #4 - Tour AD UT-55

Epon AF-901 #5 - Tour AD UT-55

Epon AF-701 6-PW - Tour AD AD-65

Epon 208KGX 50* - Tour AD AD-75

Epon 208KGX 56* - Tour AD-75

Epon 208KGX 60* - Tour AD-75

(^_^)

:atsg_smilie_roll: