New 2008 Yamaha Inpres Tour I.F.F FW w/PICS!

I've been waiting about 2 months now to buy a good 5 wood. And since then I haven't been able to make a decision. Either this Yamaha which is just gorgeous, or the Prgr m3 hit which I just hit a couple days ago. (genji's') w/the GD PT shaft. Fantastic sound and feel. Maybe I'll wait till genji sells his! lol

• 1 month later...

Anyone that is in the market for a new fairway wood....I would highly suggest you take a look at the Yamaha Tour Model. I've had one for about of month and it has been an excellent performer.

I've been searching for a fairway wood for the last couple of years and have hit a bunch with different shaft combinations. The Yamaha has won on the combination of feel and performance. A few of the fairway woods that I tried in the past 2 years.

Epon Technity (Stock and GD QT) - ok performer, a little too muted for me, hit it really high off the tee.

Srixon Z-Steel - (Stock) Good performance, good trajectory, great looks, a little metallic feel. Could easily play this one but would need to replace the stock shaft.

PRGR M3 Hit (Stock and GD PT) - Did not like the feel, too shallow for me.

TaylorMade R7 TP (Stock and Fuji Pro 95) - Played for about a year with the Fuji Pro95. Good performance and trajectory, a bit metallic feel.

Fourteen SF206 (Epic) - Good look, muted but good feel, one that I could easily play.

Royal Collection Type H (Fuji 757 and Code 8) - another solid performer, always liked the looks and feel of RC's. Another I could easily play but something was missing.

Above is just a sampling of the ones I tried/played....quite a few USDM fairways too (Titleist, Nike, Callaway, etc.)

The Yamaha wins out for me...all around solid performance, feel, trajectory. This is with the Stock shaft, which is lighter than I normally play. I purchased thinking I would immediately replace the shaft, I'm glad I didn't, it's working well.

I liked the 14 degree so much, I ordered the 17*.....must be popular, it's back-ordered! :atsg_smilie_roll:

Edited by TBone

Anyone that is in the market for a new fairway wood....I would highly suggest you take a look at the Yamaha Tour Model. I've had one for about of month and it has been an excellent performer.

I've been searching for a fairway wood for the last couple of years and have hit a bunch with different shaft combinations. The Yamaha has won on the combination of feel and performance. A few of the fairway woods that I tried in the past 2 years.

Epon Technity (Stock and GD QT) - ok performer, a little too muted for me, hit it really high off the tee.

Srixon Z-Steel - (Stock) Good performance, good trajectory, great looks, a little metallic feel. Could easily play this one but would need to replace the stock shaft.

PRGR M3 Hit (Stock and GD PT) - Did not like the feel, too shallow for me.

TaylorMade R7 TP (Stock and Fuji Pro 95) - Played for about a year with the Fuji Pro95. Good performance and trajectory, a bit metallic feel.

Fourteen SF206 (Epic) - Good look, muted but good feel, one that I could easily play.

Royal Collection Type H (Fuji 757 and Code 8) - another solid performer, always liked the looks and feel of RC's. Another I could easily play but something was missing.

Above is just a sampling of the ones I tried/played....quite a few USDM fairways too (Titleist, Nike, Callaway, etc.)

The Yamaha wins out for me...all around solid performance, feel, trajectory. This is with the Stock shaft, which is lighter than I normally play. I purchased thinking I would immediately replace the shaft, I'm glad I didn't, it's working well.

I liked the 14 degree so much, I ordered the 17*.....must be popular, it's back-ordered! :atsg_smilie_roll:

Great review and good insight. Yamaha definitely has some quality products. Curious to know how the face heighth compares to the Epon. Are they right about the same heighth, or is one taller than the other?

TBone, thanks for the review. As you may know, I have experience with some of the three woods you have played. I have always wanted to try the i.f.f tour model out, but the volume is higher than most of my past favorite three woods. I know this may not affect the look at address and may be more of how the overall head is shaped. Can you tell me how this compares size-wise to your sf206? This would help a lot to determine if it is even something I can consider.

Great review and good insight. Yamaha definitely has some quality products. Curious to know how the face heighth compares to the Epon. Are they right about the same heighth, or is one taller than the other?

No longer have the Epon, but the face height on the Yamaha is around 3.4 cm.

TBone, thanks for the review. As you may know, I have experience with some of the three woods you have played. I have always wanted to try the i.f.f tour model out, but the volume is higher than most of my past favorite three woods. I know this may not affect the look at address and may be more of how the overall head is shaped. Can you tell me how this compares size-wise to your sf206? This would help a lot to determine if it is even something I can consider.

LSeca,

I measure the face height of the Yamaha at around 3.4 cm and the SF206 at around 3.2 cm.

From the view in the playing position, they look almost identical...just a bit deeper face with the Yamaha. The face width is very close. If you liked the look of the SF206, you'll like the i.f.f.

To my eye, the SF206 may be a bit closed where the i.f.f. is definitely square.

May not make much difference, but I prefer the score lines look of the i.f.f.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I could add more.