Nippon 1150s v KB tours

Guys I haven't seen a post on this one, but on the basis that the KB tours are hot at the moment I was looking to geta comparison between the two from the people who have used both.

I've played the NSPro 1150's(and 950's) in a couple of different irons. I seem to be one of the very few that don't really care for them.

To me they feel boardy. I don't seem to get that smooth feel that most people talk about.

I recently had the KBS Tours (5.5) installed in my Gold's Factory CB's. They had S200's in them.

The difference is amazing. The feel, consistency and accuracy is outstanding. I am a believer and will only be using the KB's from this day forward. I've never really had an iron (steel) shaft make this big of a difference in the performance of a club.

Because of the shaft, the GF CB's have knocked out my AF301's with Black Gold shafts out of the #1 bag. I'm going to have the AF301's shafted with the KB's.

I have another set of (raw) heads that are waiting for the KB smoke shafts to arrive...

i've had one of my iron sets swapped out with KBS 5.5 and they were nice, not as soft feeling or smooth as the 1150s. the KBS felt tight but i didn't experience what many have said, that it prevents hooks. i can still hook it like any other shaft.

i've sinced moved to the flighted rifle 6.0 by accident and prefer this over the others, for now. so i guess in the end, try them for yourself and make your own conclusions. i also didn't like the fact that they swingweight a few points lighter due to it's design. i like a heavier shaft like a flighted rifle 6.0 and it doesn't feel boardy.

I've tried the KBS Tour in 2 different set of irons, didn't like them at all. I know they are the "shafts" of the moment and are getting a lot of positive reviews...just not for me. Rather "dull" feeling to me, difficult to explain feel, just didn't have a crisp feel. I read many comparisons to Project X, but I don't see or feel that comparison at all. They may perform similar but they do not feel the same to me. Many people talk of the "smooth" feeling of the KBS's, the feeling to me is more "dead".

My opinion only! If you're a long time 1150 user, I don't see you liking the feel or performance of the KBS Tour, but then again, a lot of people seem to like them and you might....the only way to know for sure is to give them a trial.

Thanks guys, as usual brutally honest opinions.

I have the 1150s in my studio hand mades. Only been using them for about six months (heads & shafts) but they are really getting dialed in and I love em.

Based on the advice, I won't be changing my combo any time soon.

i have tried the 1150s and even the project xs i am leaning on the project x for now but all this talk of kb tours is making me curious. thank god they offer these as an upgrade option at epon. will be getting these installed with the new af tours:)

Well I guess I'm the opposite of the opinions here, had two sets of miuras, same heads, just one with 1150s and one with Kbs, was going to keep one set in the states and one in korea, so I had them built together.

The KBs felt better for me, by a wide margin. I say buy a single 6 iron shaft, or favorite iron, and install it and try it out. As you can see, internet opinions vary greatly LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a quick word or so on these since I am now able to comment on this topic. As some of you know I just went to the TourStage 901 w/ KBS Tour 6.5 after having played TourStage X-blade 2's w/ Nippon 1150's in x-stiff for the past three years or so. The KBS shafts were installed by a fellow member (Goodsie) who made them to exacting specs along with tuning them.

I will leave comments regarding the clubs to another post; but in regards to the KBS Tours, I must say that they are, without a doubt, the finest and most accurate steel shaft I've hit to date. Next to the KBS, the Nippon 1150's feel "sloppy" and believe me, I loved the 1150's. IMO, the KBS shafts are much more responsive. Yes some may describe them as having a "tight" feel, but I really like that. I know better where the head of the club is. I still receive great "feel" and feedback from these shafts and to me, they feel very smooth but with much more power. With the 1150's I feel I lose the head somewhere just before impact. With the KBS, I know throughout the entire swing exactly where the head is. That's more comforting to me during the swing.

In addition, the dispersion of the KBS shafts are much tighter as well. My bad shots are severe hooks and I don't hook this shaft with the same ferocity. I can't really compare the ball flight because I believe the difference in that is attributable as much to the heads as the shaft. So far I am experiencing slight distance gains but again, not sure if its due to the shaft or the head. Back to the dispersion however, it really is like throwing darts. I can work it anyway I want to, but I don't hit offline as much either way compared to the 1150's.

In summary, the KBS shafts have really impressed me to the point where these are now my shafts of choice in the steel category. While for the last few years I've very much enjoyed the 1150's and what they did for my game (increase in feel), I believe the KBS will help take my game up a notch or two and give me a much tighter dispersion pattern along with an increase in predictability of shot outcomes. I do believe lower handicap golfers will see more benefits with these as opposed to higher handicappers. Lastly, these shafts were "tuned" so I'm sure the magic that Goodsie applied to these helped matters some. Still, the KBS shafts are an excellent choice for those looking for the ultimate in shot dispersion and feel. I would suggest them whole-heartedly.

Look for my reviews on the 901 X-blades along with the 901 X-wedges with KBS wedge shafts in black-nickel to be coming to a TourSpec site near you soon.

I have the Nippon 950 and 1150 in various sets in stiff. I put the KB Tours 4.5s in Miura 202s and really like the feel. The flex is about the same to me in feel, kick and distance but the KB Tours really seem to outplay the Nippons in my view, I guess because the Nippons launch so high and the KB Tours are more penentrating.

I really do like both and for different reasons.

The KB Tours were more accurate imo, yet it appeared to have a little less carry.

The 1150's feel better for me that means softer with more kick. It is a higher launching shaft and it makes sense why it would have more carry.

NS999 is also a pretty decent shaft, To me it's close to a combo of the two with a good feel but slightly lower trajectory and more accurate than the 1150.