Pro Preference Model Golf Clubs ** PPM **

TourSpecGolfer

Thanks, idrive.

I also disagree with what Joe Kwok said. He said he would not recommend it on regular irons where golfers did full swing. I could not understand the logic. He also said that the grind would create inconsistent trajectories on inconsistent lies. Then, why would he did it on the wedges? Wedges are used in many different type of lies even on the same golf course, right? Trajectory is very important for wedge shots too, if not more important.

I respect Joe Kwok as a very knowledgeable clubmaker; however, this kind of things requires high speed video camera at close up to determine how the double soles actually work. So, Joe Kwok's opinion is just that-his opinion. It could be just a gimmick, but who cares, there are million of gimmicks on golf club head designs. A good club from 15 years ago could be as good as a good club of today; it is difficult to improve on an excellent design. I said this once, I have said it a thousand time-my MP29 plays as good and forgiving as any modern blades of today, the AF-Tour included. However, I belileve the shafts actually determine the playablity and feel of a golf club.

Anyway, this kind of grind is not something new. Mr. Shinagawa might or might not be the person who first designed it 30 years ago. I have seen it on older Honma and Mizuno models from the 70's. Honma irons have always been casted, so the special grinding probably did not cost it that much.

Also, I just learned that Mr. Shinagawa did not do the grinding himself because of old age; it was his son (Shinagawa Jr.) who really did the fine job.

Thank you for giving us a link to the US$999.00 for PPM. For that amount of money, I would no longer need to know where the PPM was forged. I would call my local distributor today and ask if he could match that price with the KBS Tour shafts. If yes, the PPM will be mine. :tsg_smiley_drool:

• 1 month later...

I have had the PPM's in play for about the last 5 rounds. I have tried (and have) to put them through all the lie's and situations you run into on the course.

Out of the rough: they simply excell. The ball comes out easier and cleaner from the tall grass compared to any other iron I've hit.

Actually, lets just get right to the chase. These are the best blades I have ever played and have knocked the AFTours out of the bag. Still love the AFTours but these are just more playable.

There isn't a more solid, better feeling or performing blade. You guys have 48 hours to snatch the set on ebay or I'm going to. They are just that good.

Obviously... this is just my opinion...

Thanks idrive for the reviews. Last weekend, I tried PPM, AF Tour, and X-Blade 901, against my tried and true MP29 again. I'd hit a total of 300 balls all together over a few hours. The result? I changed my mind and did not go with the PPM. I used MP29 as a bench mark because it is a traditional blade of yesterday technology.

Here is my brief review.

Balance (COG placement from head to toe for my hand action only)

1 X Blade 901 and MP29

2 PPM

3 AF Tour (Although Epon claims it to be perfectly balanced, I think too much weighted is placed toward the toe, more like a game improvement design.)

Distance

All the same except the AF-Tour is a bit shorter due to weaker loft.

Feel

1 AF Tour = the softest yet very massive impact, really premium feel indeed.

2 PPM and MP29. About the same.

3 X Blade 901. The 901 provided very crisp yet soft feeling, but no, it was not as solid as the others. Some people may like this feeling though.

From rough or tangled weed lies

1 X Blade 901

2 MP29

3 PPM & AF Tour (because it is the biggest of all)

Contrary to what idrive found. I personally felt that the groove in the sole created more contact space and more resistance. I felt the clubhead was kinda slowed down or snaged instead of gliding through like other blades.

Value for money

1 X Blade 901. Here in Thailand, I could get a 4-PW for about US$ 1000.00

2 PPM (for the price on Ebay yes. I would never pay US$ 1800 for it.)

3 AF Tour. I am reluctant to put this last because the feel is so great. Anyway, performance wise, it is not any better than a much cheaper models like AF301 or the TS 901.

Just my personal opinion. (Gotta be very careful as the PPM was a topic of heated discussion on Golfwrx.) :tsg_smilie_laugh:

Forgot to add that I'd changed my mind about the TS901. I think I am gonna buy it. :tsg_smiley_heart: