Epon AF-Tour vs Miura 1957 Baby Blades vs ?

viperact

If you've ever hit a Miura, this is the purest feeling Miura.

If you've hit Titleist CB or MB, you've hit the Epon AF-Tour. I found the Epons have a 'click' to them at impact.

However, if you do get either set, I highly recommend KBS over Nippon.

Why do you recommend the KBS? Is it because the KBS shaft is heavier? From what I've learned, the Nippon shaft gives a somewhat softer feel, which you might prefer. Might sound stupid, but is it wise to use the KBS for the long irons and the Nippon for the wedge, or is it better to stich with one type of shaft?

playing off a 9 hcp i would definatly go with the AF tours probably the most forgiving blade iv ever hit. I havent hit the baby blades but they look more like a older traditional style blade. KBS are a good shaft but not even close to the feel and control of the nippon super peening.

I know stuie (supo67) has both sets........along with just about every other jdm iron on the market!!! ;) im sure he will chime in with his opinion on how they compare

Why do you recommend the KBS? Is it because the KBS shaft is heavier? From what I've learned, the Nippon shaft gives a somewhat softer feel, which you might prefer. Might sound stupid, but is it wise to use the KBS for the long irons and the Nippon for the wedge, or is it better to stich with one type of shaft?

Well...to be honest I started off with the Nippon 950s in my Miuras and found that the ball flight was significantly higher. Yes, it is absolutely soft, but if you factor a bit of performance into the iron, the KBS goes a lot further than my Nippons IMO. At the same time, I personally found the KBS to have a better and 'smoother' feeling than that of th Nippon. So much so that I have put the KBS into wedge as well.

Nippons are soft, but KBS are smooth with feedback.

playing off a 9 hcp i would definatly go with the AF tours probably the most forgiving blade iv ever hit. I havent hit the baby blades but they look more like a older traditional style blade. KBS are a good shaft but not even close to the feel and control of the nippon super peening.

I know stuie (supo67) has both sets........along with just about every other jdm iron on the market!!! ;) im sure he will chime in with his opinion on how they compare

....Only tried Nippon 950s, not super peening. Got to try those out sometime.

Yep got both sets and they are both great

the miura with flighted satin project x This shaft makes them incredibly.easy.to hit. my mate has the miuraisms with DG s200 and they feel horrendous harsh as a railway sleeper.

the epons ive got with kbs.tour which ordinarilly im not mad keen on , and ive swapped them out of about 4 sets this yr , just dont like them ,no feel, BUT in the epon af tour, they are sensational!, this set go perfectly together.

the epon are simply the easiest softest blades to hit and By a Mile .

the miura are the most enjoyable to hit and the most workable. they are REALLY REALLY small, but don't be afraid by their size , they actually make hittting the ball easier i think, they frame the ball so well and u hit down o n it so much easier, i didnt bring the af tours to oz with me, i brought the miura and that was a great result.

soft ease simplicity=epon af tour nothing close , daylight

work target achievement =miura 1957

neither are better.............,

i prefer the miura tho.

Edited by supo67

Oké, thanks Vertigo.

I am on the brink of purchasing an Epon set (I want the 502). Session with the club fitter end of January. Keep the KBS shaft in mind, see how it goes. Little bit of topic, but any suggestions for a grip to go with that?

I play 1957 Babies with KBS tour shafts. I had NS Pro Super peenings but found the conforming grooves didn't give me enough elevation. Soft stepping the KBS's solved that. The blade itself is very strong and incredibly solid and the look is to die for. In my honest opinion, anybody above a 5 handicap might find the Baby blades a bit too demanding. Addictive out of the middle but there isn't much middle!

Merry Xmas.

Pete

I play 1957 Babies with KBS tour shafts. I had NS Pro Super peenings but found the conforming grooves didn't give me enough elevation. Soft stepping the KBS's solved that. The blade itself is very strong and incredibly solid and the look is to die for. In my honest opinion, anybody above a 5 handicap might find the Baby blades a bit too demanding. Addictive out of the middle but there isn't much middle!

Merry Xmas.

Pete

And a merry xmas to you.

MG 5003 with NS 1150 here. true blade, pure joy to hit. forgiveness in terms of contact and turf interaction is not there and they wont cut you no slack.

Yep if your playing a lot of links type golf on really firm tight fairways the Miura blades would excell

I have had the opportunity to use a variety of blades.

Epon = Great Feel, Best Forgiveness, A little less workable than Miura 5003.

Miura MB5003 = Best blade Miura has ever produced! Great Feel, Moderate Forgiveness especially with top notch graphite shafts. Very Workable

Yururi 2010 Flat Black's = Best Feel ( it's RAW ) Moderate Forgiveness, Very Workable

Those 3 are tops in my book, you can't go wrong so I would just suggest going with your visual and brand preference.

Wonder if anyone used these before and maybe give a quick comparison? Or is there something even better? Am looking at these babies and not sure which to get! Thanks! :tsg_smiley_drool:

I have also owned both (Baby blades and the Epon blades); don't have alot to add to the views already expressed, but the Miuras are one of the "top 5" set's I've owned that I have REGRETTED selling. And I know it is a cliche, but I truly have owned quite a few "high end" JDM and non-JDM iron sets in my day. Sigh..........

Edited by Lennie

• 4 weeks later...

I have the AF Tour's and the Miura Baby Blades. The AF tour's I have shafted with Aerotech i110's and the Miura's I have Nippon Peening Reds. They both feel amazing, but the Epon's are more playable, and feel perfect. The Miura's to me always feel a little more crisp to me regardless of the shaft. I realize that I have steel fiber in the epon's, but they are softer. Before I decided on shafts, I shafted the 6i in both the Miura's and Epon's with different shafts. Nippon's are really smooth shafts, KBS were just not for me at all way too harsh for me, but the steel fiber were the best of both worlds. Now having said that I have a set of Monoco's in some Callaway Proto's and those are some amazing feeling shafts. To me KBS is not a good fit for such a soft feel in irons, the nippon's or the steel fiber are a better fit.

• 1 month later...

I have the AF Tour's and the Miura Baby Blades. The AF tour's I have shafted with Aerotech i110's and the Miura's I have Nippon Peening Reds. They both feel amazing, but the Epon's are more playable, and feel perfect. The Miura's to me always feel a little more crisp to me regardless of the shaft. I realize that I have steel fiber in the epon's, but they are softer. Before I decided on shafts, I shafted the 6i in both the Miura's and Epon's with different shafts. Nippon's are really smooth shafts, KBS were just not for me at all way too harsh for me, but the steel fiber were the best of both worlds. Now having said that I have a set of Monoco's in some Callaway Proto's and those are some amazing feeling shafts. To me KBS is not a good fit for such a soft feel in irons, the nippon's or the steel fiber are a better fit.

Those Aerotech shafts are interesting, not sure if its true but my clubfitter recons tiger tested a set in the off season but eventualy stuck with the x100s has anyone else heard this

Those Aerotech shafts are interesting, not sure if its true but my clubfitter recons tiger tested a set in the off season but eventualy stuck with the x100s has anyone else heard this

that seemd to ring a bell.

he tried a buzzillon driver shafts .

someone shud give him a crazy 80 xxx in a jbeam 435 head

he might hit a fricken fairway this yr!

and itll be 500 yardsdown the centre. that might help his "its a process' along a wee bit.

Edited by supo67

Yup MB5003 is IMO best blade Miura has produced and I would choose those over the AF-Tour, in fact I have in the past.

I played my MB5003 with Roddio graphite. I have a set of new MB5003's with NS950's at a steal if you PM me.

Yup MB5003 is IMO best blade Miura has produced and I would choose those over the AF-Tour, in fact I have in the past.

I played my MB5003 with Roddio graphite. I have a set of new MB5003's with NS950's at a steal if you PM me.

the 5003 are they the baby blade in the US..?