Ryoma Demo Club - Feedback Forum

bogeydog

In light of the tough times in Japan lately, I feel guilty writing this review. However I understand that this may be a good diversion for some as well as promote business for TSG.

Tario sent me a demo Ryoma. I understand that I am to send the demo club to the next TSG'r which I will on Friday. The specs of the Ryoma are: Vspec, 10.5*, square face angle, stock Graphite Design SR flex shaft, 45.25". Just plain stock specs from Ryoma. This is the exact club that TourSpecGolfer played while in Japan.

During my demo, I hit approximately 100 balls at the range and played 27 holes over a few different days. It is a transitional time here as we are struggling to get past winter and into spring. Temps were somewhere around 50 degrees.

Looks - I enjoy the shape of the Ryoma from address. For a club design that is so evolved, I expected to see something crazy. Nope not really. Top view was pleasant, unremarkable and nothing crazy as expected. The sole of the club is different. Not disturbing or weird, juts different. I glanced at it and moved onto more important issues. The Vspec is all black. The first all black club I have played. Cool. The alignment appeared square as advertised.

Feel - Very good. I didn't have any preconceived notions about feel. I was overwhelmed in how powerful the club feels. The head feels hot. It is best described as solid with a punch. I played it in the wind. i played it in the cold. It always felt explosive. I am not sure it is the face design. I tend to think it is the extreme placement of the center of gravity angle.

Sound - One of my playing partners said "I like the sound of that club." Not tinny, not muted. A powerful sound. I don't recall to much about the sound, so I consider that good.

Performance - Forgiving as could be. I know that has been said by others. Take as the truth. It is super forgiving. I tend to miss on the toe. I intentionally tee'd the ball high and low. It still performed well. I couldn't quite figure out where to hit it on the face to cause it not to perform. Mysterious I think, but who cares. i don't need to know the science to enjoy the results. It is long. I hit this setup too high. I can't say it ballooned, however in my case I need a lower flight. Still big bombs were had. Maybe not a long as in my younger years, however I can't recall any club which was so automatic. Here is the strange part.....It is still workable.

I can't think what is wrong with the club head. It does as they advertise. It does as others have reviewed. Maybe it launches higher than another club with the same loft. But spin appears reasonable. In my case, I think the shaft is pretty good, but no an exact fit. It likely fits 70% of the audience, however I could "overcook" it if I wanted. I think that so many would benefit from the Ryoma head matched with the correct shaft. I could see this club being a monster with the right shaft fit. I am not sure if TSG will benefit from selling this club or not. Many will buy it and love it for a long time. the club ho'ing days for many will be over. Purist may not like the club as it is designed differently. If they actually hit it, I bet some will convert.

Please don't take this review as the second coming. the Ryoma is a great club. It does work well. I excels in the areas I need it to perform well. I do think there are likely many companies with this driver head split open on their design tables.

I am intriqued by the Ryoma. So now I am waiting for my order to arrive. Ryoma Premia, 9.5*, 200g head, square face, 45.25", Crazy CB-46 SR (6.7) flex. Time will tell.

Great review B!

How would you stack it up against your perennial favorite Yamaha driver? I'm also curious why you decided to go with the Premia instead of the V-Spec that you demoed.

Edited by FatMan

Great review B!

How would you stack it up against your perennial favorite Yamaha driver? I'm also curious why you decided to go with the Premia instead of the V-Spec that you demoed.

The Yamaha is not as easy to hit, but is better feeling. Distance can't be compared yet as the Ryoma setup wasn't optimal. I think the Ryoma could excel once paired with the right shaft. I think the Ryoma will let me get away with "normal" swings while the Yammy requires me to swing on target every time. Time will tell.

I originally wanted the Ryoma Vspec, but they are out of stock in 9.5 degree, so I just went with the Premia since it was in stock with my specs.

The Yamaha is not as easy to hit, but is better feeling. Distance can't be compared yet as the Ryoma setup wasn't optimal. I think the Ryoma could excel once paired with the right shaft. I think the Ryoma will let me get away with "normal" swings while the Yammy requires me to swing on target every time. Time will tell.

I originally wanted the Ryoma Vspec, but they are out of stock in 9.5 degree, so I just went with the Premia since it was in stock with my specs.

Hi, when I placed my order for the V-Spec in 9.5, it was also out of stock but it only took a couple of weeks for replenishment and the club arrived a couple of days ago. Of course, the situation in Japan presently may cause extended delay. I'd be interested to find out if there are any performance differences between the V-Spec and Premia.

I'm not a great player, shoot a usual mid to low 80's. I think the Premia would fit me as well and support me in fighting the unwanted fade. I hit the V-Spec very well though.

B, you just coined a new term for Yamaha's "Yammy" :atsg_smilie_niceshot:

ha hum......,

ryoma 9.5 v spec

crazy 80 "noir" 7.7

45.25 x 321 x d1.75

thinking this is too light and SW def too light

report by the weeknd.,

We've got a queue of about 6 people in line for the Ryoma Demo.

Contact me if interested and I will arrange that it goes to you.

Good idea to start this thread B.

It can be useful for those wanting to post feedback in regards to the Ryoma.

I wish more people would post but not all customers are forum members.

I have gotten a lot of feedback via email from those who have purchased the driver and all have been positive and reported gains of 10 to even 30 yards!

PLUS very good control and of course monster forgiveness.

It certainly helps that the right shaft is chosen which testers of the demo should keep in mind.

and T, id love to join the demo unfortunately i am at the other side of the pond!

That isn't a problem, after all, we are on the same side of the pond and the club originated from me originally so eventually needs to come back to this side.

Time will tell. There are a lot of variable here. If the head is heavy enough is key for the Crazy. No one has posted any feedback on the Crazy CB-46 however I think it looks promising. Distance of TJ-46 with control of CB80. I tend to do well with torque numbers in the lower 4s. As always, if the combo doesn't work, I will try a change!

That isn't a problem, after all, we are on the same side of the pond and the club originated from me originally so eventually needs to come back to this side.

great put me on the list when it gets back to our side. thanks T!

Bogeydog,

Thanks for sharing. I am Still enjoying the Kamui/ TJ46 you sold to me, but was wondering how the ryoma compared to it if you remember.

The new CB46 sounds very promising. I am pondering whether to go with CB46 or Quadra proto.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,

F

Guest kbeasley

If this Ryoma demo is still in the States, I would love to get in line for a crack at it before it leaves.

I am going to be giving myself a 50th birthday present pretty soon, would love it to be an extra 10+ yards and more fairways in regulation!

Where do I sign up?

If this Ryoma demo is still in the States, I would love to get in line for a crack at it before it leaves.

I am going to be giving myself a 50th birthday present pretty soon, would love it to be an extra 10+ yards and more fairways in regulation!

Where do I sign up?

you can pm gocchin.

why not go 8.5 on loft?

with a lower and deeper cg, get the ball into air is not a problem. And a lower loft will help to run... am i right?

I ordered a 8.5 myself, 2 hours ago...

Text me if the demo club is with you. I want to try it too.

great put me on the list when it gets back to our side. thanks T!

• 3 weeks later...

You've seen the hype, you've read the rave reviews... I don't think there is much for me to add about this driver that has already been said by others.

Just a little note: I am still putting together the pieces of my swing together after overhauling it & played very sparingly the past year or so. Which is why I was excited to get a chance try out the Ryoma demo & see how forgiving it is because I could use all the forgiveness I could get.

I had a few range sessions and a little course time to get to know it a little better. I tried to focus on the head as much as possible since the shaft didn't work for me. I tried hitting it on different spots on the face other than the sweet spot & distance loss didn't seem bad. Pretty good actually. I'm not sure yet about distance gain but, it was right there with my gamer. As much as I wished, it won't cure bad swings but, the Ryoma's as forgiving as it gets!

Feel wise is pretty good although, my Epon 151 still trumps it in that department. I was launching & spinning the demo & stock shaft fairly high but, that can be remedied by a lower loft & a different shaft.

Punch, Pop, Whallop... I'm pretty sure you'll have your own description when you feel the back weighting kick into overdrive & power through your shot.

Someone asked me if the Ryoma was worth the price tag with the stock shaft... Honestly, I believe that it would be even better & worth it to upgrade to a premium shaft (Crazy, Quadra, etc.) that fits you to make a great combo.

Edited by FatMan

I also still want to try this should it make it's way down under:

Hey Tario,

I would be VERY interested in doing a review for the Ryoma club. I have been considering purchasing one but would love to do a review and get a feel for it first. Let me know how we could arrange this.

-A&B

In light of the tough times in Japan lately, I feel guilty writing this review. However I understand that this may be a good diversion for some as well as promote business for TSG.

Tario sent me a demo Ryoma. I understand that I am to send the demo club to the next TSG'r which I will on Friday. The specs of the Ryoma are: Vspec, 10.5*, square face angle, stock Graphite Design SR flex shaft, 45.25". Just plain stock specs from Ryoma. This is the exact club that TourSpecGolfer played while in Japan.

During my demo, I hit approximately 100 balls at the range and played 27 holes over a few different days. It is a transitional time here as we are struggling to get past winter and into spring. Temps were somewhere around 50 degrees.

Looks - I enjoy the shape of the Ryoma from address. For a club design that is so evolved, I expected to see something crazy. Nope not really. Top view was pleasant, unremarkable and nothing crazy as expected. The sole of the club is different. Not disturbing or weird, juts different. I glanced at it and moved onto more important issues. The Vspec is all black. The first all black club I have played. Cool. The alignment appeared square as advertised.

Feel - Very good. I didn't have any preconceived notions about feel. I was overwhelmed in how powerful the club feels. The head feels hot. It is best described as solid with a punch. I played it in the wind. i played it in the cold. It always felt explosive. I am not sure it is the face design. I tend to think it is the extreme placement of the center of gravity angle.

Sound - One of my playing partners said "I like the sound of that club." Not tinny, not muted. A powerful sound. I don't recall to much about the sound, so I consider that good.

Performance - Forgiving as could be. I know that has been said by others. Take as the truth. It is super forgiving. I tend to miss on the toe. I intentionally tee'd the ball high and low. It still performed well. I couldn't quite figure out where to hit it on the face to cause it not to perform. Mysterious I think, but who cares. i don't need to know the science to enjoy the results. It is long. I hit this setup too high. I can't say it ballooned, however in my case I need a lower flight. Still big bombs were had. Maybe not a long as in my younger years, however I can't recall any club which was so automatic. Here is the strange part.....It is still workable.

I can't think what is wrong with the club head. It does as they advertise. It does as others have reviewed. Maybe it launches higher than another club with the same loft. But spin appears reasonable. In my case, I think the shaft is pretty good, but no an exact fit. It likely fits 70% of the audience, however I could "overcook" it if I wanted. I think that so many would benefit from the Ryoma head matched with the correct shaft. I could see this club being a monster with the right shaft fit. I am not sure if TSG will benefit from selling this club or not. Many will buy it and love it for a long time. the club ho'ing days for many will be over. Purist may not like the club as it is designed differently. If they actually hit it, I bet some will convert.

Please don't take this review as the second coming. the Ryoma is a great club. It does work well. I excels in the areas I need it to perform well. I do think there are likely many companies with this driver head split open on their design tables.

I am intriqued by the Ryoma. So now I am waiting for my order to arrive. Ryoma Premia, 9.5*, 200g head, square face, 45.25", Crazy CB-46 SR (6.7) flex. Time will tell.

The club's headed my way right now.........can't wait to try it out!

I also still want to try this should it make it's way down under:

after us bro:) should give you enough time to save. hows the quadra?