Crazy Royal Decoration and CRZ-460 Review

JMCMB

The Royal Dec is honestly the most fantastic shaft I have ever hit in a driver.... Seriously.... I have it in a CRZ 460 8.5.... The easiest, longest driver I have ever hit.... I suggest a degree lower loft than you normally play, it will bring the flight to perfection and you'll get surprisingly good run.... And it's going to carry... For days... And days....

This shaft feels amazing, think of that awesome, electric Crazy feel, but amplified, it kicks very hard, but it's sooo consistent that as a harder hitter you come to appreciate the kick as like warp speed acceleration, rather than something you have to time that requires a lot of guesswork...

But my biggest thing with this shaft, the reason why I love it so much, and rave about it is that it accomplishes what other shafts try to do and makes it soooo much easier, this shaft keeps me in the fairway through ease of use rather than just being soo stout that it's impossible to hit it left... What do I mean by that? I hit this driver longer than any other swinging considerably easier and more in control, it removes the desire to crank up the MPHs and over power the shaft by making it easier to get more distance and control without having to swing harder, I know all I have to do is put a solid swing on it and it's going a mile, and if I don't try to swing harder and over power it, it just isn't going to go left, could I over power this club? Sure, it wouldn't be too difficult, the shaft is feather light, BUT I know that I'll never need to swing that hard to get the performance I'm looking for... I'm thinking that makes this the lightest weight control shaft ever, lol...

My other gamer is a Jbeam 425 tour/Crazy TJ80 setup, and it's awesome, superman couldn't hook that club, but while it does exactly what it's meant to do control wise, it's also a very demanding club, workable in the extreme, perfect ball flight, fantastic run, good distance, but you really need to step on it to make it work for you, and that's going to lead to the occasional sloppy swing, it doesn't matter who you are, you have a better chance of making a mistake when you gotta go after it then when you don't, and that's where the Royal Decoration shines, by being easier to swing and making it far less likely that you'll make a mistake that leads to a poor shot...

I have never been the lightweight, distance driver type of guy, before this I have never hit a lightweight shaft that worked for me, they just felt sooo unstable, but this shaft fixes that feeling of instability by being very consistent and predictable... As I just mentioned, normally, a setup like this just isn't my cup of tea, but after I read Tario's review of the CRZ 460/ Royal Dec setup on the blog, a seed was kinda planted in my mind, like "maybe this could work for me", but I still probably wouldn't have went for it on that alone, but T actually suggested it kinda outta the blue a few days later and I figured it was worth a shot...

Best choice I ever made for my golf game HA! Getting the specs right was def a big deal for this setup and is def a big reason why it works so well for me... I think that numbers will say it better than I ever could though........... For the past few years I've averaged 285 pretty consistent, it was to a point where I just figured I was maxed out regardless of the club..... WRONGO!!! Lol, with the Jbeam/ TJ80 setup I immediately jumped out to about a 295 average, averaging 10 yards further may not seem like a lot, but for me it was, I was beyond surprised considering how long I had been at the same yardage, in my mind I must have found the Holy Grail at that point, I had to be maxed out, there could not possibly be a way for me to consistently put it out further than that..... WRONGOOO!!!

My first day with the CRZ/ Royal Dec I did not hit one drive under 300 yards, not during the 9 holes I played, and not on the range afterwards.... I do not consider myself a +300 guy, I swing pretty hard, but I have always looked for control, accuracy, and consistency over raw distance, I've always been the guy thinking that amateurs CONSISTENTLY generating yardages longer than a lot of pros was just not doable... Do I need to say wrongo again?

I've played this club quite a bit recently, and it's just the same over and over again, in a very good way, obnoxiously long(averaging about an 8-10 yard gain over the Jbeam), a solid mid-high ball flight that seems to handle adverse conditions well, more run that I would expect from this type of setup, decently workable, not extremely, but enough where I can count on a soft draw or fade when I need it, a very lively feel that brings a smile to my face every time I swing it, it sounds like I shot a cannon when I hit the ball.... And the fairway.... Over, and over again....

Ya know, I really notice how well they take care of the rough at Bethpage while I'm admiring it from the fairway and don't need to try to find a ball buried in it... Lol.... I think you can officially label me a Crazy fanboy... Def a Crazy fanboy....

J.

The Royal Dec is honestly the most fantastic shaft I have ever hit in a driver.... Seriously.... I have it in a CRZ 460 8.5.... The easiest, longest driver I have ever hit.... I suggest a degree lower loft than you normally play, it will bring the flight to perfection and you'll get surprisingly good run.... And it's going to carry... For days... And days....

This shaft feels amazing, think of that awesome, electric Crazy feel, but amplified, it kicks very hard, but it's sooo consistent that as a harder hitter you come to appreciate the kick as like warp speed acceleration, rather than something you have to time that requires a lot of guesswork...

But my biggest thing with this shaft, the reason why I love it so much, and rave about it is that it accomplishes what other shafts try to do and makes it soooo much easier, this shaft keeps me in the fairway through ease of use rather than just being soo stout that it's impossible to hit it left... What do I mean by that? I hit this driver longer than any other swinging considerably easier and more in control, it removes the desire to crank up the MPHs and over power the shaft by making it easier to get more distance and control without having to swing harder, I know all I have to do is put a solid swing on it and it's going a mile, and if I don't try to swing harder and over power it, it just isn't going to go left, could I over power this club? Sure, it wouldn't be too difficult, the shaft is feather light, BUT I know that I'll never need to swing that hard to get the performance I'm looking for... I'm thinking that makes this the lightest weight control shaft ever, lol...

My other gamer is a Jbeam 425 tour/Crazy TJ80 setup, and it's awesome, superman couldn't hook that club, but while it does exactly what it's meant to do control wise, it's also a very demanding club, workable in the extreme, perfect ball flight, fantastic run, good distance, but you really need to step on it to make it work for you, and that's going to lead to the occasional sloppy swing, it doesn't matter who you are, you have a better chance of making a mistake when you gotta go after it then when you don't, and that's where the Royal Decoration shines, by being easier to swing and making it far less likely that you'll make a mistake that leads to a poor shot...

I have never been the lightweight, distance driver type of guy, before this I have never hit a lightweight shaft that worked for me, they just felt sooo unstable, but this shaft fixes that feeling of instability by being very consistent and predictable... As I just mentioned, normally, a setup like this just isn't my cup of tea, but after I read Tario's review of the CRZ 460/ Royal Dec setup on the blog, a seed was kinda planted in my mind, like "maybe this could work for me", but I still probably wouldn't have went for it on that alone, but T actually suggested it kinda outta the blue a few days later and I figured it was worth a shot...

Best choice I ever made for my golf game HA! Getting the specs right was def a big deal for this setup and is def a big reason why it works so well for me... I think that numbers will say it better than I ever could though........... For the past few years I've averaged 285 pretty consistent, it was to a point where I just figured I was maxed out regardless of the club..... WRONGO!!! Lol, with the Jbeam/ TJ80 setup I immediately jumped out to about a 295 average, averaging 10 yards further may not seem like a lot, but for me it was, I was beyond surprised considering how long I had been at the same yardage, in my mind I must have found the Holy Grail at that point, I had to be maxed out, there could not possibly be a way for me to consistently put it out further than that..... WRONGOOO!!!

My first day with the CRZ/ Royal Dec I did not hit one drive under 300 yards, not during the 9 holes I played, and not on the range afterwards.... I do not consider myself a +300 guy, I swing pretty hard, but I have always looked for control, accuracy, and consistency over raw distance, I've always been the guy thinking that amateurs CONSISTENTLY generating yardages longer than a lot of pros was just not doable... Do I need to say wrongo again?

I've played this club quite a bit recently, and it's just the same over and over again, in a very good way, obnoxiously long(averaging about an 8-10 yard gain over the Jbeam), a solid mid-high ball flight that seems to handle adverse conditions well, more run that I would expect from this type of setup, decently workable, not extremely, but enough where I can count on a soft draw or fade when I need it, a very lively feel that brings a smile to my face every time I swing it, it sounds like I shot a cannon when I hit the ball.... And the fairway.... Over, and over again....

Ya know, I really notice how well they take care of the rough at Bethpage while I'm admiring it from the fairway and don't need to try to find a ball buried in it... Lol.... I think you can officially label me a Crazy fanboy... Def a Crazy fanboy....

J.

J thanks for the detailed review. now you got me thinking.... I always had bad impression of Crazy's lighter weight shafts. I have had the LY-1 then LY-2 then bought another LY-1 non suited me till i got the CB 46 then i got the CB 80 which i like the weight. like you said need a little work. Kinda sad i can't try the shaft first before going for it. But Def lingering in my mind now. I am testing my cousin's CB 46 in S flex. first time i put a crazy S flex as my gamer. Def need a little work first round with it today (not happy) hopefully after a few more range session it will dial in.

B

J.

Was thinking about this shaft myself and playing it to 46".

Even at 48g, that is light.

I think idrive is playing this. J, if you're reading, maybe chime in.

Was thinking about this shaft myself and playing it to 46".

Even at 48g, that is light.

I think idrive is playing this. J, if you're reading, maybe chime in.

Actually the longer the club you build the lighter the overall club weight/static weight.

Reason is as your club gets longer the head weight decreases to balance out swing weight.

This is why those 46.5" and 47" drivers can be like 260g cause their heads are like 180g or less!

When I tested the 46" CRZ-460 at crazy... It did not feel 46" in the sense that I could square it up so well... It really surprised me and now that I think about it, in the past all the 46" or longer clubs I tried were always stock OEM shafts.. that did NOT square up for me, which is probably why I hate long drivers.

The RD at 46" had no issues at all. It just keep smacking the ball for me... all i had to do is swing.

See for me, I thought the light weight would be an issue because I have had bad experiences with light weight shafts in the past.... But it really wasn't an issue at all... It was just very simple to swing... All I really have to do is put a good swing on the ball and it's pretty much automatic, I know the shaft is going to do the same thing every time.... Oh, I don't think I mentioned it, but this club plays 45.5 and has a D2 SW, which is the same as my Jbeam at 45.00....

Just a word of advice to anyone who is a harder hitter thinking of giving a high grade light weight shaft a shot... Go into it knowing that the club is going to feel different than the heavier clubs your used to... It's going to kick pretty hard and feel light... It is light, lol... But it's also going to be a lot easier to swing than a heavier club... I've always been someone who likes a shaft that feels very active, and I've always looked for shafts that give me the lighter weight very lively feel, with the consistency and launch of something heavier and stiffer... This shaft does most of that for me, it ffels extremely active, it's consistent to the point of being automatic as far as the shaft has the same type of feel every time you swing it, and the shaft does a fantastic job of delivering the club head to the ball with lots of acceleration and very little effort or timing needed, and with the very low lofted head it gives me a much lower launch and ball flight than I thought it would, no it isn't a low launching club at all, more of a mid-high flight, bit I was expecting a shaft this light to send the ball to the moon based on past experiences, but it didn't, it was right where I wanted it to be for this setup.... And it's just so easy lol... If your the type of player who appreciates that, then you'll def enjoy this shaft, but if the light weight really gets to you and you don't like that type of feel, then it just might not be for you...

J.

See for me, I thought the light weight would be an issue because I have had bad experiences with light weight shafts in the past.... But it really wasn't an issue at all... It was just very simple to swing... All I really have to do is put a good swing on the ball and it's pretty much automatic, I know the shaft is going to do the same thing every time.... Oh, I don't think I mentioned it, but this club plays 45.5 and has a D2 SW, which is the same as my Jbeam at 45.00....

Just a word of advice to anyone who is a harder hitter thinking of giving a high grade light weight shaft a shot... Go into it knowing that the club is going to feel different than the heavier clubs your used to... It's going to kick pretty hard and feel light... It is light, lol... But it's also going to be a lot easier to swing than a heavier club... I've always been someone who likes a shaft that feels very active, and I've always looked for shafts that give me the lighter weight very lively feel, with the consistency and launch of something heavier and stiffer... This shaft does most of that for me, it ffels extremely active, it's consistent to the point of being automatic as far as the shaft has the same type of feel every time you swing it, and the shaft does a fantastic job of delivering the club head to the ball with lots of acceleration and very little effort or timing needed, and with the very low lofted head it gives me a much lower launch and ball flight than I thought it would, no it isn't a low launching club at all, more of a mid-high flight, bit I was expecting a shaft this light to send the ball to the moon based on past experiences, but it didn't, it was right where I wanted it to be for this setup.... And it's just so easy lol... If your the type of player who appreciates that, then you'll def enjoy this shaft, but if the light weight really gets to you and you don't like that type of feel, then it just might not be for you...

J.

Did you mention your TJ80's flex and what you have on your RD? Thanks

Did you mention your TJ80's flex and what you have on your RD? Thanks

7.4 on the TJ80 and SX on the Royal Decoration for J.

The trend seems to be one flex up depending on the length you install at.

Thanks T,

now decisions , decisions................

I didn't want Jason's great feedback of the RoyDeco shaft to be lost in the Ryoma pre order thread so I broke it off here. I love this combo and I think it deserves its own attention.

So, when using the RD shaft, do you swing as hard and fast as you normally do? Or does the lighter weight make you swing smoother and maybe a tad slower? Unconsciously I mean? Have you noticed such tendencies? I have tried a few of my friends light shaft drivers recently, some even in R flex and I can still control them pretty well, and hit them a long way, with much less effort. I noticed that I naturally swing less hard with that kind of driver.

Plus, is the 8.5 degree CRZ 460 head custom ordered? If I remember they only go down to 9.5?

So, when using the RD shaft, do you swing as hard and fast as you normally do? Or does the lighter weight make you swing smoother and maybe a tad slower? Unconsciously I mean? Have you noticed such tendencies? I have tried a few of my friends light shaft drivers recently, some even in R flex and I can still control them pretty well, and hit them a long way, with much less effort. I noticed that I naturally swing less hard with that kind of driver.

Plus, is the 8.5 degree CRZ 460 head custom ordered? If I remember they only go down to 9.5?

That def could happen, today i brought out 2 drivers with me, one with 9.5* Epon AF101 with Rombax F in R flex it goes along way as i know that its R flex so i am not swinging as hard thus the better results.

It's 8.5 real loft which is the lowest head they had at Crazy.... And I 100 percent notice that I swing smoother, which is one of the big reasons I love this club, because I can take my foot off the gas and it still goes further than anything else I have ever gamed hitting harder and swinging more aggressively. I have always played a slightly lighter flex than my SS and tempo fits into for two reasons, to get closer to the feel I like and so I can dial it back easier when I'm not playing well, it's not something that will work for a lot of people, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone except myself, but for me it works, and the Crazy shafts make it even easier for me to do that because they're really very consistent shafts...

Generally I fit an X in just about any shaft on the planet, but with the Crazys, I can play a Stiff in the heavier, extra stout TJ80 with zero problems at all, and I really cannot over power it even if I want to which really surprises me, and an SX in the Royal Dec which is even more of a surprise because it's sooo light and active that I would never think it would play sooo perfectly for me in SX, to me, that's really a testament to how well Crazy makes there shafts and how consistent they are that it's so easy to step back on flex and achieve better more consistent performance than a heavier shaft from other makers in a stiffer flex... I seriously wonder what they do over at Crazy to make such wonderful shafts...

In the near future I'll be trying out a Quadra FEX Proto in 75sx and a Bangvoo premium in X to compare to the Crazys, i just can't seeing anything being better overall than the Crazys though....

J.

For distance I think crazy is top's

For max carry I think crazy is tops

For accuracy I'm a big fan of the Bangvoo

I haven't shafted the Royal Deco yet. Appreciate the review JMCMB! you've got me excited!

For me, it's the feel of the Crazys coupled with the performance that does it.... I got a chance to play both sets of irons I just had shafted up with the Crazy steels today.... I won't go into detail yet since I still wanna get to know them a little better, but they are def very, very good.... These are not going to be iron shafts for everyone though, I'll def say that... But so far, excellent stuff....

J.

We have the first ever Royal Deco shaft's coming in that custom white soon.

I was just thinking about that idea the other day when considering colors for the Ryoma Gold head.

I thought the Royal Dec wasn't going to be available in the pearl white finish? I def want one... Anyone know if the Crazy ute comes in the white finish?

J.

T what about the labomba white shafts, can u get hold of those?

I am pretty sure T can get hold of almost any Crazy shafts :)

I am pretty sure T can get hold of almost any Crazy shafts :)

Yup. Have two FW-80s in white on order from T.

T what about the labomba white shafts, can u get hold of those?

Yes thats what those are... all the white shafts are technically "la bomba" editions named after their long drive pro who prefers white shafts.

So we can special order any model (except irons and UT shafts) in white.

Yes thats what those are... all the white shafts are technically "la bomba" editions named after their long drive pro who prefers white shafts.

So we can special order any model (except irons and UT shafts) in white.

So safe to say that they can do in RD now right?