27 holes with my Crazy 460/Miyazaki white today

Robb40

Played 27 holes today with this new driver. Ok to start this is my home course. So distance comparisons are accurate compared to my last 2 drivers. The Crazy 460 really suits my eye. I love the look of this head from address and everywhere else. A real eye catcher. I really like the sound and feel of this club. For me the Crazy is more forgiving than my Ping G20. This surprised me a little but it was obvious. I only had 1drive that got away from me other than that I hit a lot of fairways today to shoot 2 over for 27 holes. The Bad- this hyped bomber is not any longer than my g20. In fact my R11 3 wood was only 5 yards shorter than the Crazy from the tee. Our course is a 9 hole so I was able to hit and compare on the same holes. I really feel that the Miyazaki Kusala white is not the shaft for this club. The 460 is a higher launch head and this shaft is not a good match. I need a lower launching shaft that is not a heavy shaft. I do not care for anything beyond 70 grams. I really want to give this head another try but I need the right shaft. My ss is 102 to 106. I normally play stiff flex. The 7.2 in the crazy shafts was a little too stiff feeling for me. I had several drives ballon on me today. I was only able to get it down by moving ball back in my stance. Not many long balls today which was disappointing considering this clubs claim for distance. Help me out please!

Edited by Robb40

Played 27 holes today with this new driver. Ok to start this is my home course. So distance comparisons are accurate compared to my last 2 drivers. The Crazy 460 really suits my eye. I love the look of this head from address and everywhere else. A real eye catcher. I really like the sound and feel of this club. For me the Crazy is more forgiving than my Ping G20. This surprised me a little but it was obvious. I only had 1drive that got away from me other than that I hit a lot of fairways today to shoot 2 over for 27 holes. The Bad- this hyped bomber is not any longer than my g20. In fact my R11 3 wood was only 5 yards shorter than the Crazy from the tee. Our course is a 9 hole so I was able to hit and compare on the same holes. I really feel that the Miyazaki Kusala white is not the shaft for this club. The 460 is a higher launch head and this shaft is not a good match. I need a lower launching shaft that is not a heavy shaft. I do not care for anything beyond 70 grams. I really want to give this head another try but I need the right shaft. My ss is 102 to 106. I normally play stiff flex. The 7.2 in the crazy shafts was a little too stiff feeling for me. I had several drives ballon on me today. I was only able to get it down by moving ball back in my stance. Not many long balls today which was disappointing considering this clubs claim for distance. Help me out please!

Rob: I think it's time for you (and I!!) to get professionally fitted. Too much guess work with different head/shaft combinations and at least on my end while I love to tinker I also have a day job:) Youre also like me in that you're a bit impatient....need to give it at least 3 weeks of play before deciding.

The G20 is a long club. Which crazy 7.2 did u use? Ur SS will about 1-2mph average lower & I use the cb46 7.2 & the flex is fine. JMCMB recommended 1* stronger than ur normal & he had the Royal Deco & from his post, he is bombing it.

Edit: my ss average lower

Edited by Eca

Hey Robb

This is my first post but have been reading the forum for quite sometime. My swing speed is 100-105. From my experience, I had a prgr 455 10.5 shaft with diamana ahina 60 s flex. Ball flight was mid high with much lower spin. Dispersion also decreased. In my opinion, if u r looking for a lower launching, high kick shaft, ahina is a good choice. However, I try putting this shaft with ryoma 9.5 v-spec and did not work. My smash factor decreased and loose a lot of carry. Had the crazy 6.7 cb46 also installed but did not gain much distance.. Right now I shaft my ryoma with bassara w-series and seem to be working best in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I was able to try a Cb46 in 7.2 in a Ryoma vspec. Just could not get enough out of it. I did not like the Ryoma head either. I had an Oban Kiyoshi in my g20 but I sold it to pay for this combo. Maybe I will give the Ahina 60 a go. I had it in an R11 and it had a great kick. I am tempted by the Crazy tj46 Nero. I have been to a fitter so I know what launch angle and spin to look for in real conditiOns. I could tell by ball flight and lack of rollout and total distance that this was not a good combo.

The game of shaft roulette is fun and expensive isn't it? I would recommend sticking with what you have and play it for a few weeks. Let yourself settle into the setup and then see what you have. Then you can find a shaft that does what you want as you have a solid baseline. In any case, it seems as you are looking for big distance gains over the G20 which may not be possible. In the world of drivers, 10 yards is massive as the technology in the heads really has been maximized for distance. The shaft is where it is at. Many also could benefit from choosing the proper ball for the combo. Many times a ball works better with one driver than another. Think launch and spin.

Robb, as bogeydog mentioned, I think getting the right shaft profile is the key for you. I'm surprised that you found the CB46 7.2 stout. I swing much slower than you & just came back from gaming a 6.7 w/o any range time. I found it quite easy to load & I just let the shaft kick through impact. I actually came away quite pleased with the bombs I hit with it.

Robb,

Do you know if you have a tendency to release early? Handsy?

Robb, as bogeydog mentioned, I think getting the right shaft profile is the key for you. I'm surprised that you found the CB46 7.2 stout. I swing much slower than you & just came back from gaming a 6.7 w/o any range time. I found it quite easy to load & I just let the shaft kick through impact. I actually came away quite pleased with the bombs I hit with it.

Could have been the combo. Just did not have the feel I was looking for.

Robb,

Do you know if you have a tendency to release early? Handsy?

Every now and then I will get off and release too early. My biggest point of concern was the good swings with center head contact. Just did not produce the ball flight and distance. I normally have 3 or 4 good drives in a round 285-295. My other drives range in the 250 to 270 range. I do not go for it on every drive. I hit several pure drives today and could only get 275 out of these. I can get 260 plus with my 3 wood when the swing is pure. I just feel in my gut that this head will produce big distance with the right shaft.

Every now and then I will get off and release too early. My biggest point of concern was the good swings with center head contact. Just did not produce the ball flight and distance. I normally have 3 or 4 good drives in a round 285-295. My other drives range in the 250 to 270 range. I do not go for it on every drive. I hit several pure drives today and could only get 275 out of these. I can get 260 plus with my 3 wood when the swing is pure. I just feel in my gut that this head will produce big distance with the right shaft.

So, very straight but not that long? Sounds like a spin issue, the Kiyoshi is a pretty low spin shaft, not as low as the Devotion but I can see that the Kiyoshi is a good fot with a big high launch head like the G20, or the Crazy 460 too for that matter. You need either a lower loft or a higher kicking shaft, so a Devotion might be it, or the Kiyoshi for that matter. You want to stay away from 70+ gram shafts so I'd recommend the TJ46Nero that is both light and stiff enough to keep the ball flight from balooning, or maybe a Kai'li.

So, very straight but not that long? Sounds like a spin issue, the Kiyoshi is a pretty low spin shaft, not as low as the Devotion but I can see that the Kiyoshi is a good fot with a big high launch head like the G20, or the Crazy 460 too for that matter. You need either a lower loft or a higher kicking shaft, so a Devotion might be it, or the Kiyoshi for that matter. You want to stay away from 70+ gram shafts so I'd recommend the TJ46Nero that is both light and stiff enough to keep the ball flight from balooning, or maybe a Kai'li.

Good info. Thanks. I think the Kiyoshi or the Miyazaki black may be my next move. At least I can try these without dropping another $600 on blind hope.

hmm how abt this for a possible reason.

is it cold where u are now?

id be very shocked if u did this same experiment in july-august and didnt say wow, huge.

i say this bec i hit the ball as good as i can on sunday

and i coulnt get the ball out past my average distance. and i absolutely hit it as well as i can with a small draw.

now, i had the crz 460 with a crazy 50 sigma 7.7 in july and i was hitting the ball easily 20+ yards farther than what i did yesterday.

easily 20 yards , and i wasnt connecting a well as i did on sunday. not even close. the ball flew the length of what i was i hitting on sunday.

the 460 is def a bomber. and an easy to hit bomber.

has anyone esle encountered this , the cold makes the ball fly a lot less than the heat of july ?

hmm how abt this for a possible reason.

is it cold where u are now?

id be very shocked if u did this same experiment in july-august and didnt say wow, huge.

i say this bec i hit the ball as good as i can on sunday

and i coulnt get the ball out past my average distance. and i absolutely hit it as well as i can with a small draw.

now, i had the crz 460 with a crazy 50 sigma 7.7 in july and i was hitting the ball easily 20+ yards farther than what i did yesterday.

easily 20 yards , and i wasnt connecting a well as i did on sunday. not even close. the ball flew the length of what i was i hitting on sunday.

the 460 is def a bomber. and an easy to hit bomber.

has anyone esle encountered this , the cold makes the ball fly a lot less than the heat of july ?

Oh hell yes!! I think I told you guys I was on a trakman the other day and got very depressed about my distances...weather was about 48* and windy as all heck, but of course I didnt really factor that in. Makes a huge difference.

Temps are everything.

The ball, they all respond and work differently at colder temps. Most premium balls hate the cold.

The Air, colder = dense= less distance.

You shaft, it doesn't flex the same at 40* as it does at 80*

Muddy, soft, you get to play lift, clean and place because you're ball plugged....

there's more..... :)

In fairness it was about 55 degrees with a chilly wind. What upset me was hitting my R11 3 wood with the GD ad-di 7S almost to the same spot as the Crazy 460. I really think it is the shaft and I am searching a for Miyazaki Indigo or a Black to try next. I really like the look and feel of this head. I do not want to give up on it.

Edited by Robb40

what about a kaili?

A little too high launch for. I did consider the Ahina but I really like the Miyazaki line

my R11 3 wood with the GD ad-di 7S almost to the same spot as the Crazy 460. I really think it is the shaft

What about one of these as it seems you do get along with it quite nicely. Would also give you a good comparison....

and it's one heck of a good shaft.

What about one of these as it seems you do get along with it quite nicely. Would also give you a good comparison....

and it's one heck of a good shaft.

Good thought, I did consider the Ad Di but I read that it can launch a little high as well. With this head I believe a lower launch shaft for me would do it.

Don't know if this will work for you, but I have a Graphite Designs 9003x available.

Cheap!

PM me if this sparks your interest.

now thats a very good shaft. more so in a wood or a short driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I gamed the Crazy 460 today for another 27 holes. This time it was with a Miyazaki Black tipped 1/2 inch at 44.5 inches. I really liked the launch and ball flight. huge improvement over the Miya white. The club feels great in my hands so I had a confident feeling all day. There was no ballooning with this combo. This head is really a keeper for me. I really want to justify it staying in the bag. I love the looks and feel of this head, plus i have the upgraded head cover that is really sharp as well. I hit several today pure so it was a good day to judge the new shaft. It was sunny here and 46 degrees with a 9 mph occational wind. I was very happy with everything except the distance. The pure shots were still nothing to brag about. I think my longest drive of the day was 270. Two of my regular playing partners were right with me even on the pure hits. With the Callaway RHTour I was 15 to 25 yards in front of them. A few times I hit it pure and just knew I was 20 yards in front only to find their ball close by. Again I played all year with these guys so I know their game and distance. Also I was still 2 clubs difference everywhere else so I have to believe that the Crazy 460 is still being held back. I may be in denial but I have to believe that the Miya Black is not letting this head produce its max results. I want to order a Royal deco but I just dont know. At that point I would have $1425 in this combo. Seems insane unless I truly get the big bomb yardage I was expecting. I do not want to go back to the RHT because of the forgiveness. What do you all think? Time to let the Crazy go and go back to Ping or Callaway?