27 holes with my Crazy 460/Miyazaki white today

Robb40

Okay I gamed the Crazy 460 today for another 27 holes. This time it was with a Miyazaki Black tipped 1/2 inch at 44.5 inches. I really liked the launch and ball flight. huge improvement over the Miya white. The club feels great in my hands so I had a confident feeling all day. There was no ballooning with this combo. This head is really a keeper for me. I really want to justify it staying in the bag. I love the looks and feel of this head, plus i have the upgraded head cover that is really sharp as well. I hit several today pure so it was a good day to judge the new shaft. It was sunny here and 46 degrees with a 9 mph occational wind. I was very happy with everything except the distance. The pure shots were still nothing to brag about. I think my longest drive of the day was 270. Two of my regular playing partners were right with me even on the pure hits. With the Callaway RHTour I was 15 to 25 yards in front of them. A few times I hit it pure and just knew I was 20 yards in front only to find their ball close by. Again I played all year with these guys so I know their game and distance. Also I was still 2 clubs difference everywhere else so I have to believe that the Crazy 460 is still being held back. I may be in denial but I have to believe that the Miya Black is not letting this head produce its max results. I want to order a Royal deco but I just dont know. At that point I would have $1425 in this combo. Seems insane unless I truly get the big bomb yardage I was expecting. I do not want to go back to the RHT because of the forgiveness. What do you all think? Time to let the Crazy go and go back to Ping or Callaway?

Hi robb,

Good to hear th at the Black is bettre for you. I'm still waiting for mine to come in to try with thr V-Spec Ryoma.

Should you move away from the Crazy? I don;t know but if you are hoping that it will give you 20 yards more consistently with the RD or any shaft, I don;t know... if we believed every claim of more distance by ball, shaft and head manufacturers, we'd all be driving 700 yards by now LOL. But of the Crazy combo gives you more confidence with each drive no matter how narrow the FWis and gives you a consistent increase in fairways hit while maintaining your previous distance consistently, I say stay with it. If not, I think you have sunk quite a bit already. Just my 2 cents...

Hi robb,

Good to hear th at the Black is bettre for you. I'm still waiting for mine to come in to try with thr V-Spec Ryoma.

Should you move away from the Crazy? I don;t know but if you are hoping that it will give you 20 yards more consistently with the RD or any shaft, I don;t know... if we believed every claim of more distance by ball, shaft and head manufacturers, we'd all be driving 700 yards by now LOL. But of the Crazy combo gives you more confidence with each drive no matter how narrow the FWis and gives you a consistent increase in fairways hit while maintaining your previous distance consistently, I say stay with it. If not, I think you have sunk quite a bit already. Just my 2 cents...

Yep I am in pretty deep already, well deep for me. I have never dropped $900 plus on a driver. I really like the head but I do want to maximize its potential. It feels so sweet when you hit it pure. Good sound to.Sharp to look at to. Really want to keep this one.

Well I am off to play 18 holes with the Crazy tomorrow. I had the Miyazaki Indigo installed with no tipping. The shaft is stiff and I have the playing length at 46 inches now. 44.5 was good but it just did not feel right. Too short. I hope this is the one. The Indigo is a low/mid launch shaft with low spin. Nice looking shaft. Miyazaki is the real deal. I have an offer from Goochin to try a Crazy TJ46. That may be my next step or you may see it in the BST.

In my First Ryoma Premia I installed a TJ46.

Monster

My friend hit it. It's still in his bag. He won't give it back.

I hate when someone loves a club and feels that's enough reason for them to keep it. It's happened to me many times.

I think its really the shaft. Trust me i have gone through heaps. I love the miyazakis but it aint the longest. my CRZ with the Basileus is a Bomb. Even if the shots are not pure it still goes longer than my R11 + Miya Black when i hit that right. I guess you should have just gotten the Crazy in the first place instead of experimenting around LOL. Stew mentioned to me before that Crazy Driver loves Crazy shafts well i guess thats true considering they will use their own drivers to test the shafts to get optima;l results.

Anyhow , i am loving the combo atm although it is a little to heavy for my liking. Maybe a CB 46 SX on its way.

Any updates with the Crazy setup ??? The Crazy and Ryoma were on my to do list but ive got some serious magic working with my Kamui right now so all drivers on my to do list have been halted !

I gamed the Crazy/Miya indigo for 18 holes. Okay the temp was 39 degrees. We had 3 inches of rain that stopped the day before. No roll unless you landed in the rough and then maybe you got a little, maybe. I tried lower compression balls to combat the temps. Ball was Nike Power soft. It does help. Ball flight was better, shaft is fairly smooth but no longer than the Miyazaki black. At least in terms of carry. On pure hits I was in the same places as before. It's time to dump the head or order the Crazy tj46 Nero that Goochin recommend. Just not sure but I still do not want to give up on this one.

Sorry to hear the Miyazaki is not working out for you.... While I've not tried Crazy head, but base from what I read around, I also think the shaft is the issue here.

Then again, does this means fitting Crazy shaft into just about any head will gives us that extra distance??

I spoke to a club builder about my problem. With the Indigo it seems I have screwed up again in reverse. The Indigo is a 56 gram shaft. Not heavy enough for a high launch head. I am still having trouble forking out $500 or more for a Crazy shaft. I may try a GD tour ad-di or a Motore Speeder Tour spec. Both of these are very good shafts and should produce much better results. The Indigo would probably have delivered the goods in a heavier version. I played 18 holes yesterday with this combo again. At least one thing has come out of this so far. I really like the feel and sound of this head. Not ready to give up on the head but I am tired of the shaft search. It was fun for a while but now I just want to settle in and get this head the shaft that it deserves.

Happy New Year Robb.

Per comment "Not heavy enough for a high launch head". I find this interesting and would like to know your builder's rationale behind this and if this is opinion or fact. I don;t agree with this and high launch heads I think were targeted for less than perfect golfers to begin with to help with carry and of course distance.

I finally got my Kusala Black and its is low launching and spinning. Still getting used to it.

From his rationale the harder I swing with the lighter shaft it increases launch. Both outings seem to support this. My carry was good but there was little rollout at all. Yes my swing speed has increased but with a 102-106 swing speed it does not work. Tario talked me out of a Royal D Crazy due to my aggressive transition and SS. From the advice I have received a 65 to 70 gram shaft would fit my swing better and allow me to achieve a better launch angle. I am glad you like the Miya Black. I think the reason it failed for me was the 1/2 inch tipping that was done before I purchased it. The Black according to Miyazaki reps should not be tipped. Miyazaki actually advises people to not tip their shafts period. Who knows a non tipped Miya Black may be the way to go. I am afraid to tip the Indigo because they are hard to resale when you start chopping them.

Hi Robb,

I think it is not so much the weight but the kick point and kick pionts of heavier shafts generally are higher than light weight shafts which help with keeping the ball flight down a bit. With a more aggressive swing, the heavier weight, lower torque and added stoutness may help but weight in itself I do not think affect ball flight.

I'm finding the Black to play stiifer to flex. Will try to run-it in at the range for a while more but if that does not work, I may need to switch out to the DI-5 I have in my Epon. I just can;t load the Black consistently enough throughout the round but on good hits, the launch is mid low and it rolls like mad and on courses in my part of the world with the heavy rain of late, that is very good. This is defnitely the shaft for those looking to lower launch and spin. the feel however is good for a stout shaft. And the Ryoma head feels and sounds very very solid.

I let an aspiring amateur playing off a 6 hit the combo a couple of nights back to help run-in the shaft and every shot (no kidding, every shot) was a gentle draw and longer than his R11 Ozik setup which TM fit him out with. I reckon if I had a stiff Black in there, he could swing as per normal and get more out of it.

Thanks for the input. I keep coming back to a GD ad-di. I think the 6s or 7s would work. I don't know why these are listed as high launch shafts because I see more of a mid launch from the 7s in my 3 wood. The Miya black is as listed, low and low. I had one in an R11 and it was by far the best combo. Now I must admit that is was not a smooth feeling shaft. The Indigo is smoother.

Oh yes I agree on the Crazy 7.2. It was too stiff for me when I really think about the sessions with it. I top out at 105-106 so a 6.9 or 6.7 is where I need to be. If I knew the crazy would dramatically change this heads performance I would order one. Several regulars from this site have PM me and let their true feelings be known. I am not a wealthy man so dropping $500 on a shaft just for a slightly better feel or a feeling of exclusivity is not worth it to me. I am trying to salvage the head because it has many qualities that I like over any other that I have tried. Most golfers that I play with have stock shafts in all of their woods. I am already an enigma because I do not.

Several regulars from this site have PM me and let their true feelings be known. I am not a wealthy man so dropping $500 on a shaft just for a slightly better feel or a feeling of exclusivity is not worth it to me.

That is interesting to hear Robb. And yes, I think you have put in quite a bit into this club already. I say if you really want to keep the head, go back to a shaft you are familiar with and has worked for you. That way, you can really see if the head is better. I've just done that with the Ryoma V-Spec last night. Will have a couple of range sessions and a round this weekend to see if the V Spec lives up to the hype but from what I have seen so far with the Black, the head design gives better distance and forgiveness than the AF 101.

That is good to hear. I believe in the JDM quality. Again the Crazy 460 head is a keeper for many reasons but there are so many great shafts available for so much less. I am not a JDM basher. The quality is second to none. I believe they make heads as forgiving and long as any out there. But when you start talking about $600 to $950 shafts I have to pause and consider everything that is available. Yes the head was a big leap of faith but so far it has given me hope that it is a super forgiving,great to look at and as long as anything out there so far. Keep me posted on your Ryoma. I may have dumped the Ryoma too quickly due to the stiff 7.2 shaft. I am trying to resist the 10. prem on here.