Made the Switch to Crazy Toyoshima's

TourSpecGolfer

In the last 6 months I've been somewhat of a wedge fanatic. It all started back at the 2012 Japan Golf Fair or what we at TSG call the "Tokyo Show" where so many new Forged Japan only offerings were highlighted by Major OEMs. The most exciting were the Taylormade Japan Only "FORGED" ATV wedges in a beautiful Dark IP Satin finish in contrast the standard release was cast and didn't have such a sexy finish. Then there was the Japan Only "FORGED" Titleist Vokey TVD and after some serious delays and back orders I finally got a custom set built to my specs. When it came to surprises at the Tokyo Show these two forged wedges hit the mark.

The Forged ATV, Its forgiving, modern, and beautiful not to mention very easy to hit. It has a wide sole that you could still play it off of tighter lies. I also tried the 64* lob and still to this date is it the easiest bunker club I've ever experienced, From anywhere else though a 64* is a pain in the butt and requires perfect angles of striking. Although this forged model felt better than the standard release cast version and looked much better it still didn't have the soft rewarding feel I am accustomed to hitting in Japanese wedges and irons. If it did I would probably still have them in the bag. These lasted a couple of months in my bag, very good wedges indeed.

Vokey Forged: It's soft forged of S20C by ENDO and feels superb. This one is an extremely hot seller here at TSG with many back orders but customers were patient and now they are readily available again. The word I would use to sum these up is Versatile and especially when it comes to opening the face. It's as if the grind would fit a tour pro but it's forgiving enough to hit clean for any level of player. The face isn't overly compact and It's pretty much in a nut shell the softest & best feeling Vokey TVD Titleist has ever produced. Comparing these to the Forged ATV's I enjoyed the feel of these but the forgiveness of the sole of the ATV's. I'd still take these Titleist any day over anything other than the Crazy's.

So It's obvious I chose the Limited Edition Crazy Toyoshima wedges. I played them for over 6 months back 3 years ago when the first version was available. These things sell out within 30-60 days most of the time. The grind is simple and visually reminds me of the ONOFF S-Forged but they play nothing alike. The Tokyoshima's have such a soft heavy feel to them and are compact yet more forgiving than both the JDM ATV & Vokey. They setup perfectly for my eye. The leading edge is blunted but not overly rounded, conditions have been soft here and one of my concerns about these was digging but so far that hasn't been the case. After my very first round with these they made the cut. I'm on round five or six now and consistency of chips and bump shots have improved greatly. I'm playing them with Satin KBS Tours at 1.5* flat with Crazy Iomic grips. More pics below:

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

I don't think you're supposed to play with them.... they look way to sweet!!!

Sweet wedges. Also like the butterfly cut out on them in light of the fact that a butterfly is my visual when hitting nice soft wedge shots.

Doesn't look like much bounce on these??

How much?

Edited by swisstrader

Any reason you didn't go with the Crazy iron shafts?

gee that pear shpae reminds me of the maru tourtsage wedges i play but the top line looks thicker like the onoffs.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................................,

I game the same wedges and can concur they are simply amazing. I play with crazy target wedge and the consistency of flight and feel is incomparable.

I was gutted to find out they won't be making any more....

I had the first gen of Crazy wedges with the cut/grooved soles.... found them a tad heavy for my taste but great feel and needless to say great looks.

I had the first gen of Crazy wedges with the cut/grooved soles.... found them a tad heavy for my taste but great feel and needless to say great looks.

Corky, I would buy them back. PM me!

Sweet wedges. Also like the butterfly cut out on them in light of the fact that a butterfly is my visual when hitting nice soft wedge shots.

Doesn't look like much bounce on these??

How much?

The 52* is 6* bounce and the 58* is a 12* bounce.

Here the link to the shop: http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=4349

Love how clean these wedges are, haven't got a chance to try them and can't wait to! I like how compact it is, I may have to boot the vokeys as from the top of my list. ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm playing the crazy prototype but there ain't any glare issue and they are both conforming. Hope that helps?

I've had almost every rendition of Toyoshima's wedges from the concave sole to the limited previous models.

They are all pretty similar, he has his own style. Crazy wedges have dominated my bag more than any others.

His latest wedges have an impact that reminds me of the Epon 302's. It's just as versitile and forgiving as the JDM vokeys.

expensive and very hard to get though. I'm also ordering a custom set of Gold's Factory wedges, the ones that Tario recently posted about.

Thanks for chiming in. Can you compare them to say Miura, Epon or whatveer wedges you previously played? I see in your WITB sig you're not playing them?

How sad am I...

As well as the Crazy wedges I have play..... I play them rarely.

Happy to just hold and stare at them.

Yeah... I ran a search here and I think some of the limiteds went for USD900+ a pair and some even over a grand a pair. Is that just for the limited or the Prototypes as well?

I'm not even sure if we can still get them new, gotta as Tario on that one. The limited or proto's are all the same price. That's still cheaper than the new GF wedges although with those you have options of finish, milling, etc..

I'm not even sure if we can still get them new, gotta as Tario on that one. The limited or proto's are all the same price. That's still cheaper than the new GF wedges although with those you have options of finish, milling, etc..

One of the searches here threw up a post from T I think about the Protos going for about $200+ a head then.

For "reasons", until today, I had not hit a ball for five weeks. First club I got out of the bag was to 52 Toyoshima - home at last! Just an awesome club and that's why I have three sets.

Tario - please let me know when the Master decides to grind some more!

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys i entered this thread and wont leave it without some form of crazy wedge from T-san

ok lets say i could get the WingeD c prototype and the latest toyoshima CB104 which would you

choose?

are they all the same because from what i understood in the proshop they are re-released run 1 and run 2.

so is this latest toyoshima the same run albeit with special grooves and satin finish or is it a totally new ground head?

for those that have the Toyoshimas, are you using headcovers with em? planning on getting a set for my bday

When I ordered in Nov time frame, Tario had convinced Crazy to make one last run. I believe that run to be sold out too, so no more to be made soon. Got my pair several weeks ago and they still have the plastic on the heads. Had them built with the CBI EVO II soft stepped X. Intend on putting them in the '13 Yamaha bag. The '13 bag is shaping up nicely. Got the 18* Yam UT so the only thing left is a 21* UT and it is a complete bag.