RomaRo H irons and the legendary Epon Technica Pro I

wmclarenf1

Just got my RomaRo H irons yesterday and only resifted the 7I and 5I to compare with my Epon Technity Pro I irons which were laucnhed in 2004 and I have been playing for over 4 years. I put in the same NS Pro 750 shaft, same length, lie, grip etc. From a fitting point of view, these 2 are Siamese twins and hence provide the best setup for a side by side comparison. Same ball, same lousy golfer, same everything else but the heads.

This is also a very restricted comparo as I have yet to take them out to the course which I will after I reshaft the rest of the RomaRo Hs today.

I have taken side by side pics of the hosel offset, top line and sole width. You will notice that the RomaRo which I have put black ferrules with a red stripe to match the red paintfill have thinner toplines, narrower soles and less hosel offset. So perhaps these are more of a players CB than the legendary Pro Is. Does being more of a players CB translate to being a lot less forgiving?

For the 70+ range balls I hit this morning, these are my preliminary conclusions:

Feel :

OK.. let;s use Epon as one extreme to indicate soft and Miuras on the other extreme to indicate hard. I'm not saying Miuras are hard by any measure but relative to Epons, they are less soft and many of use are familiar with both Epon and Miua feel and soft/hardness. The H irons fall in between but closer to Epon softness I feel. The ball feels as though they stick to the face for that one micro second longer. Again, this is same, shaft, ball, grip and 10 handicapper.

Sound :

Both emit the same sound BUT the Romaro H has a slightly higher pitch but only so slightly making it in my audio perception universe to be consitent with the slightly firmer feel.

Ball flight:

The H launches the ball just very slightly higher for me but the extent to which I can say is not material.

Distance:

Both seem to carry the same but on pure hits, the H seemed to go further.

Spin :

I really cant tell as the range grass was long and soggy. I should know better tomorrow. I am hoping it will hold the greens as well as the Pro Is.

Forgiveness:

I would rate the Pro I as being the more forgiving but only just.

Looks :

The H irons are perhaps the first irons in over 4 years to excite me on looks. Sure, look are very subjective and personal, but I love how they look and despite the thin top line and less offset, these do not instill and fear during address.

That's all for now folks. I initially reshafted only the 5 and 7I thinking if these do not work out, I'll put the Modus 3s back in Well, I'm reshafting all of them now so you know my stand on whether they will work...

.....anyone want to buy a great condition pulled 5-PW set of NS Pro Modus 3 in STIFF flex and taper tip? 5I played to a finish length of 37.75 in the H irons :-)

post-2841-0-99233100-1356674258.jpg

post-2841-0-85775800-1356674270.jpg

post-2841-0-87492400-1356674280.jpg

post-2841-0-82863600-1356674299.jpg

post-2841-0-40000900-1356674309.jpg

post-2841-0-35952400-1356674520.jpg

Edited by wmclarenf1

nice rewiew....

i hit my techinca 301s last night with monacco X nad gamed them in sydney last week.

jee whiz these are really really nice irons. firest time ive gamed them magic to strike....

only thing that i dont really love is they are a bit off set. i tend to yank them left ever so slightly

impact is magic. i rate these as prob the nicest feel irons in my..................humble collection.............

u cud do much worse than just play thee irons i assure you!

Is it just me but does the epon look like it must weigh 50% more than the RomaRo?

Sometimes I look at irons and just wonder where the compact irons hide the weight!

Thanks for the write up look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for the review. More excited than ever to get mine shafted and out on the course

Very nice review and thanks. Was the modus from the romaro & did you happen to have a hit? Comparison to the 750?

Very nice review and thanks. Was the modus from the romaro & did you happen to have a hit? Comparison to the 750?

Yes they were. I did hit the 7I with the Modus 3 before I reshafted it and if it was in the same weight class as the 750 (high 70s), I'd play it without a doubt. I can handle stiffer shafts, it's the weight that gets to me as the round progresses.

As I mentioned above, even though the Modus 3 is much heavier (120 grams vs 78 grams +/-) and stiffer, the feel was still very very good.

Edited by wmclarenf1

Yes they were. I did hit the 7I with the Modus 3 before I reshafted it and if it was in the same weight class as the 750 (high 70s), I'd play it without a doubt. I can handle stiffer shafts, it's the weight that gets to me as the round progresses.

As I mentioned above, even though the Modus 3 is much heavier (120 grams vs 78 grams +/-) and stiffer, the feel was still very very good.

Thanks for that.. This is the irons I'm looking at when I saved enough to rebuild my JDMs.

Played 18 with the new irons today and as a weak 10.4 capper, I broke 80 today and shot 79! These are the findings or the H irons in comparison to the Epons today:

1. They definitely feel less soft but sweet its are so sweeeeettttttttttt

2. They tend to hit whereas the Pro Is tend to hit fat on bad shots. I think this is due to the leading edge grind on the H which aids this.

3. It could just be me today and how I was swinging but I correct my earlier statement that the H irons hit a tad higher. They hit lower and have a more penetrating trajectory. Bear in mind again that it is the same shaft, length, lie, loft, ball and 10 capper hacker.

4. The sweet spot of the H is closer to the toe relative to the Pro Is.

5. Can these hold the green.. well take a look.. a shot of ball and pitch mark with an 9I. The H's hold similarly up to 7I. Pin Attack!

But today's good round was also due to one new addition which I will post later....

post-2841-0-70143800-1356762463.jpg

Edited by wmclarenf1

i still love my H's! Takes the fun out of looking at TSG as I now don't want any new gear!!!!

So now, what shafts to use.

Have a set on Monaco's, NSPro Ora, kbs tours, NSPro Modus

Don't need help getting the ball in the air. Was going the put the ora in but now I'm thinking

the Monaco's. Wish I had four 7 irons and I'd try them all... might anyway.

So now, what shafts to use.

Have a set on Monaco's, NSPro Ora, kbs tours, NSPro Modus

Don't need help getting the ball in the air. Was going the put the ora in but now I'm thinking

the Monaco's. Wish I had four 7 irons and I'd try them all... might anyway.

Can't speak to the Hs but believe they only lowered the COG a little bit vs the Pro Forged. As long as you are not using a high launch shaft you should be fine...

W

Great write up there….

Edited by RIduffer

Got rained out after 14 today but I can now say with a lot more certainty that the Romaro H Irons are the REAL McCoy for me! I was playing my newly acquired Romaro 460HX with too stiff a shaft and hence straight pushed right about 4 or my drives which resulted in me being in the bunkers! THe H are a dream to hit in the bunkers! As long as the lie is good... ATTACK! The leading edge relief is great! Of all my dabblings this silly season, I can safely say I am so glad I tried and now play the Romaro H irons!

• 2 weeks later...

PLayed 18 this morning.

OK, the H irons are firmly in the bag now. I'm not a great shot maker at 10 handicap but when I did attempt fades, draws and keeping the ball down today (it was really windy on the back 9), it was a lot easier to do than with the Pro Is. Again, same shaft, setup, ball and hacker.

If you guys are looking for a new set of irons, do try give the H irons a go!

I agree and get excited for people when they buy Romaro irons and woods. They perform, feel great. Severly underrated brand and i cant wait fore more people to try them this year.

Do I get a RomaRo cart bag, headcovers, cap, belt etc for helping promote them LOL...

I dunno, I think you'll need to get in line behind a couple of Aussies and myself for who started building the RomaRo bandwagon round here...

:)

Just got my H Irons with NSPro Ora

Put them right in the bag and off to Maui we go. Have this feeling I'm going to really like these.

Also, this way I don't have to wonder if I should take the Yam Tours or Personals.

Will hopefully have a very positive review this weekend. If not the Yams are boxed up and will have them

shipped out to me!!!

Gotta say they look great, much smaller than I thought they'd be which is a relief. No doubt they look very

blade like at address.

The H's were built to my specs at the Factory before shipping. Nice to not have to put marks on your new

clubs from the bending machine.

Myself been eyeing fo Epon 502 for a while, but finally decided to pull the trigger for the Ray H, and shafted it with TT GS75.

Anyway I just realized that my H doesn't have a star mark on it, does anyone know what might be the cause of that?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5ay5t3eqlo9k9p/4O4BoR6FZa#f:20130121_175003_0.jpg

Myself been eyeing fo Epon 502 for a while, but finally decided to pull the trigger for the Ray H, and shafted it with TT GS75. Anyway I just realized that my H doesn't have a star mark on it, does anyone know what might be the cause of that? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5ay5t3eqlo9k9p/4O4BoR6FZa#f:20130121_175003_0.jpg

Hi,

First off, congrats. As for the star, idrive posted earlier that the star indicates conforming and no-star, non-conforming. There is also unfortunately, a site that sells fake/stolen etc H irons with no star. If you bought yours from an authorised dealer, I'm sure you're ok just that yours are non-conforming and not eligible for competition play.