2013 TourStage 709 MC Thread... UPDATED w/Review

Where would you guys say these fall on the playability/forgiveness scale versus Yamaha v forged tours? I've only played the 2011 version of those but any comparisons would be helpful (feel as well). Thanks!

Visually it's hard to beat the MC's. Even the yammy tours can't imo. Feel wise the MC is a hair firmer in a good way. The MC's just seem a more narrow sole, sharper grind, and really tight/compact design.

I can say wholeheartedly, the Tourstage 709MC's with MCI (proto) shafts are the best all around irons I've ever played. Softest, no. Point and shoot, no. Best combination of feel (they feel excellent!) workability, feedback, looks, setup, etc I've ever played.

I can say wholeheartedly, the Tourstage 709MC's with MCI (proto) shafts are the best all around irons I've ever played. Softest, no. Point and shoot, no. Best combination of feel (they feel excellent!) workability, feedback, looks, setup, etc I've ever played.

Glad to hear. Just ordered a set after eyeing them for months. Been rotating Miura BB's, '12 Yam Tours, Miura CB-1007's, and Mizuno Yoro MP-64's and looking for something to shelve them all. Hopefully these?

I think you'll be VERY pleased.

• 4 months later...

Old thread but thought I'd update after ample time with my experiment. I finally settled on the 9-iron and PW from the 909MB, the 6,7, and 8-iron from the 709MC, and 4 and 5-iron from the 709CB, sometimes subbing in a Srixon Z-uti 3 and 4-iron. All with Modus3 shafts. (Srixon have the NS 950). This set flows seamlessly from iron to iron with all having very similar profiles and sole grinds. Had to play around with a couple of lofts, but finally got the distance down where the gaps are perfect. Just a degree or two up on the CB's is all that was needed. Now I've got a set of laser-like short irons, precise middle irons with a hair of forgiveness, and point-and-launch, easy-to-hit long irons. The perfect combo set for me. All with similar feel; solid and informative. And all with almost identical turf interaction, like a set should be. I've seen some combo sets where nothing is similar except the manufacturer, I can't imagine how that'd be enjoyable. Like a grab bag of irons you'd see in a bargain bin where nothing looks or plays alike from iron to iron. Anyway, loving it so far. Hope to use it for the year, but haha we know how that goes.

BTW, anybody need some 709CB short irons or 909MB long irons? ;)

Edited by Miuramaniac

• 1 year later...

Really old thread I know but just got myself a set of these from Japan with NS Pro 950's in them. Got a second hand, mint set of 5-PW and a brand new 4 iron separate. Bought a few sets of other shafts to try in them as I thought the 950's would be too light for me but so far they are good shafts. Easy to launch, but not too high. Don't seem to get spinny or balloon. If I make the right swing, they go exactly where I want them to go and they feel so nice. Haven't had a nice set of forged irons for a while (new to JDM clubs - previously played ping S57's) so these are a real treat. I had never hit them or even seen them in the flesh but really enjoying them so far and they are not that hard to hit. Really pleased I took the chance. Now I've got a Tourstage 709 D430 driver I'm working on as well and some of the X-wedges too. Wish I'd had found Tourstage sooner, they make awesome clubs.