2013 TourStage 709 MC Thread... UPDATED w/Review

Of course everyone’s saying: what about the 909 Limited Blade? that review is coming. What I’d like to focus your attention now on is the 709MC and at first glance notice how it’s all brushed satin except for the edges of the back face which are in chrome. It’s just enough right imo.

Last year it was the 707 series which were a little funky but still cool. Last years 707 Forged was noticeably larger than this years MC and had a lower CG making it a more user friendly iron. I think design wise last year TS was a bit wild and too futuristic, this year they seem to have tucked the unnecessary away to make what could be one of the best players cavity of the year. Visually it may have already won.

If we take it back to 2011 and look at the then comparable 705 model to the MC which was called the Type M That is what I would say resembles the new MC although the MC is a bit more compact with what seems to be more focused and potent mass placed encasing the back face. I’d call it some really effective perimeter weighting.

Accuracy, so I’m currently gaming two different irons right now the George Spirits Mono 3D and the ONOFF Forged 13’s. Both much larger than these MC’s and focused on feel, accuracy, and forgiveness which are kinda sacrificed in the new TourStage MC although for good reason... feedback and setup.

Accuracy by design limits workability at a certain point. You want dead straight all day steady and stable or you want to be able to work the ball with ease, nice high or low cut shots and maybe the low hook to get out of trouble & back into play. Very hard to do with what I currently use but the MC is as close to a blade as you will get for workability. I’m not the stick to really be testing this so we handed it over to Tatsuro to give it whack in the video below.

So how does it feel?

Very TourStage, If you value irons giving you superb feedback you must try the new MC’s as well as most other TourStage irons in general succeed in letting the player know when the impact wasn’t right.

I’ve said in the past its good to have one semi players CB and a blade to go back and fourth from. I take that back in this case, these MC’s are really the best of both worlds because the feel lets you know where your mistakes are made versus barely knowing with a larger softer CB.

TourStage uses Endo S20C, they can make their clubs as soft or firm as they want to. I could see this type of feel growing on me If I could greatly improve my ball striking skills.

So this year TourStage also pulled out all the stops for the better player. Limited Blades... True as True can be players cavity. even a 709CB Cavity Back model and it’s not too big. Thats the largest of the X-Blade series and its still a touch smaller or equal to my current gamers.

Even The X-Blade largest sized 460 driver can appeal to the better player. The X-series now fits a wider range of golfers yet really appeals to and delivers for those who like to hit butter knives.

Distance vs the blade, well this is one of the biggest benefits over the blade, Its a more stable head with more mass behind the impact zone meaning more inertia meat to nuzzle that ball forward into the air. More distance in other words and it’s been commonly known that game improvement irons usually have more distance, depth, and mass not to mention jacked lofts which will produce more carry. A more shallow face to back mass provides less umph behind the ball like a blade, although it allows you to work the ball with a more delicate level of control. Both is good as to each is own.

At identical lofts the MC wouldn’t be as long as my current irons but it also wouldn’t be as short as the muscle back at that loft.

Setup, I don’t think I have to say much. You look, It’s sick!

<!-- This version of the embed code is no longer supported. Learn more: https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding --> <object width="648" height="364"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=62979101&force_embed=1&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00adef&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=62979101&force_embed=1&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00adef&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="648" height="364"></embed></object> <p><a href="

TourStage X-Blade MC Irons Review ( Tatsuro )</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/tourspecgolf">TourSpecGolf / Golf To Impress</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

gallery_18_4_32392.jpg

gallery_18_4_31101.jpg

gallery_18_4_62517.jpg

gallery_18_4_129951.jpg

gallery_18_4_19185.jpg

gallery_18_4_127079.jpg

gallery_18_4_25529.jpg

gallery_18_4_79855.jpg

gallery_18_4_43205.jpg

PW

gallery_18_4_141961.jpg

gallery_18_4_9442.jpg

Wowza, these are nice. Reminds me a little bit of the Mizuno MP-64... but in a good way. Tourstage makes some of the nicest irons for sure.

Really nice looking irons. Can't wait for the review.

TS really outdid themselves this year.

Any feedback?

I don't know how forgiving 709 is but 909 is as forgiving as personals and Yamaha tour.

My first round with 909 was horrible....but the second one was sensational!!

It's dead accurate and forgiving.

And the look........ Man.... Maybe they look better than crazy mb. They are awesome irons!!

I don't know how forgiving 709 is but 909 is as forgiving as personals and Yamaha tour.

My first round with 909 was horrible....but the second one was sensational!!

It's dead accurate and forgiving.

And the look........ Man.... Maybe they look better than crazy mb. They are awesome irons!!

really bro? post some side by side pics:)

These irons were very solid! It sets up square and the compact head really makes it easy to transition to and from a full muscle back. TS did a REALLY good job this year!

Dang,,, I was hoping they'd soften up the feel this year

The "clicky"ness and the direct feedback seems to be getting a thumbs up from the staff players. It is easy to tell apart from the good shots and slight off center hits. When it's off center, you know right away, but you have that slight ease of mind knowing that its got a bit more forgiveness than a straight blade:)

• 2 weeks later...

Demo set has been sold.

The MC is out of stock at TourStage next batch end of April.

909 blade is sold out.

909 driver is only available in 8.5* now

Picked up my set of 909s from my builder this morning. There is no clickiness in these that I could feel at least in comparison to the 905. They are heaps better in feel comparatively, at least for the bucket of 5 and 6 irons I hit off the mat.

Picked up my set of 909s from my builder this morning. There is no clickiness in these that I could feel at least in comparison to the 905. They are heaps better in feel comparatively, at least for the bucket of 5 and 6 irons I hit off the mat.

what shafts did you install? I have the 909's right here but in S200 I'm thinking about putting the Recoil 95 in it or sell it as is after we shoot the review. I hit some balls with it and your absolutely right, TS did soften these up quite a bit.

I have Recoil 125 in them now… Ball flight was somewhat penetrating with ability to adjust based on ball placement.

If anybody is interested in a set of Modus 120 S 5-P, plastic still on the grips. I am not as nice as Stew but am reasonable...

• 3 months later...

I am. Simply outstanding.

Not as soft although it feels great but a better designed head in my opinion. Less forgiving but I don't know, I strike the ball better with these 709s than almost any iron i've ever hit.