Used Driver Head - Which One?

sjdavies47

The season here in the UK is just about over, so what better time to look for a new dirver!!!!! I currently have a V-Spec 9.5 which is a low launcher (with Fubuki Alpha 70S). I'm looking for a new used driver head to go with another Fubuki Alpha that I in the garage. I what something that is square or slightly open, forgiveness is important (although don't want to lose too much distance compared to V-spec) and that launches a little bit higher than the v-spec.

Can't afford something new new, so looking at slightly older models from BST, what do you guys suggest?

If I went for another D1 (say the standard or Premia) should I go for the 9.5 again? What are the thoughts on the Romaro or S-Yard XV?

I owned your driver head with cb46 & with the fubuki alpha, it will be low. I hit the 10.5 also with cb46 & its much bette launch.

I don't have a lot of experience with JDM drivers but now

using a Crazy fx bm 435 @ 10.75 & loving it.

I think its plenty forgiving, just horrible feel & sound when you miss but the distance is a diff story. I swore a few times after impact only to see the ball go in play with good distance after a miss**t. Hit it in the sweet spot & its another story. A friend here outdrives his ryoma hi-cor & my shaft is too stiff for him :)

Lots of really good stuff though. Have fun with your search.

the fubuki, ive just learned ,( the alpha. ) is one super stong , good playing shaft. i recently built one for a guy and didnt want it to let it go truth be told .it was in a yamaha tour head form 2009. i had it agaisnt my current 2013 model and if i had to chosee one it wudda been the odler one .

so i can STRONLY reocmond tha yamaha heads, u wil get one of those very cheap.

10*......,

or a newer model. id def think the XV is a control head, i didnt find it ovely long but boy it went nice and straight.

if u want a bit mroe diatance try an older jbeam...

Edited by supo67

Maybe a 10* 435, would give you a higher launch than the V Spec and tons of distance, might want to think about the Syard 388 in 10.5, the 9.5 is a fairly low launcher, but the 388 head gets way out there and goes DEAD straight, it feels and sounds wonderful as well. For a real bargain that performs like an absolute champ I agree with Stew on the previous models of the Yamaha Tour's in 10*, you can find them at silly good prices, performance is top notch and feel is outta this world, not the most forgiving drivers around, but excellent performers, if you can find a Yamaha 440 Power Length from 2011, that would be a winner, more forgiving than the tour models, and VERY long.

Thanks all for the replies. I know that the V-spec is known as being a (very?) low launching head, so not too sure which loft I should be looking for? The combo I have is very playable and I will be keeping it, it is just with the softer fairways at this time of year I need something which spends a bit longer in the air. Would a 10deg in an AF-103 or XV be about right or launch too high?

Always fancied a Yamaha, what is the view on the v203. At 440cc how forgiving is it? From all the above would a 10deg be about right? I find the cupped face an interesting concept (high level tech is one of the things in JDM that I love), does it work? Is it only Endo forged heads that come with it?

Every one here has made very good suggestions and all the above would probably work for you, its more about what you would feel confident with; and off course price. I think af103 would be a good mix of forgiveness mixed with accuracy and distance if you can find one.

You might also want to ask T about the TPRX head as it is very well priced at under $600 shipped, you then get to choose your own specs...! other than those I just mentioned I think there is a beautiful looking yammy 10* head in the BST for a crazy price.

I am also from the UK and winters are just to long man, I am in oz now :) in QLD, no winter only sunshine but you can only play golf in the winter, it gets to hot in summer especially for us poms

Good luck with your search man.

Yep all ozzys seem to be fair weather golfers, I don't mind it as was born and raised in the north east, sometimes wish I was playing in the rain just to cool down, If the old fellas here you should defo make the move; surf, golf, fish, and lots of cold beer..!