My friend's big adventure to Tokyo

Henry

So my very best friend will be visiting Tokyo next week. Although only an occassional golfer, he does want to see some Japan only golf stuff. The good news for me is that he wants to bring me back a present!!

2 questions.

1. Any mainstream department stores or sporting good stores that have a good selection of JDM golf clubs that I can point my friend in the right direction?

2. Any suggestions for what he can bring back to me that would be easy for him to carry on the plane or put in luggage. I was thinking of a dozen golf balls (Which ones? --looking for a distance ball) or even a pair of golf shoes that you can't get in the states (I am a size 7D-what size would be equivilant?).

Other suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

Edited by Henry

We are working on a sticky for the ultimate guide to JDM golf Tokyo Edition.

If you do a search in the forum you will also be able to find some info as this is a popular question.

That said if you see something you like in Japan we can beat any price at any shop on new gear provided its delivered to a hotel and or to a foreigner on travel.

One of the fun things to do in Tokyo is to browse all the golf shops for all different stuff. I normally don't buy clubs as I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere. It's all the eye candies and the latest gear that makes the trip fun. I would go there to buy some golf clothes on sale and golf shoes. I need EEE or 4E and they are only available from JDM. All department stores has golf section but for pure viewing pleasure, can't beat going to Victoria.

Edited by Duffer19

Thanks Chris. Thats great to know!!

super newing.................... get super newing balls!

I second that. Very hard to find in the US and the shipping will kill you. Excellent ball.

i stil dont know if theres a longer better feeling ball ever made than the premium brill

those things go miles, and off the putter face., oh god..

when it gets colder here, i still play them, therey are incredible balls.

If you're going to ask for shoes, put on your golf socks and trace your feet on paper. The salesmen ought to be able to measure the perfect size from those tracings and your shoes have a very good chance of being a perfect fit. I've been doing it this way since I was 5 years old, which was probably a couple of years ago. :)

Shambles

Can't see the super newing in the store?

Have seen the TSG new club release pics and they always use the newings for scale

Can TSG get these?

Would love a trip to Japan, but might have to wait a couple years till the girls are older and do a family trip.

I love Super Newing balls! TourStage/Bridgestone makes the best balls imo. Yes even better than Titleist.

Some of you may remember Bridgestone Japan's lawsuit against Titleist on the ProV1 and ProV1x. They won.

I play Newing balls with better results than I play the fancy X01 balls, I do really like the V10 balls too, I think a little more than the Newing.

I'm surprised the Newing balls hold up to stews swing, I have a friend who is a scratch player who swings 103mph and launch monitor shows the newing actually increases spin more than most balls which is why people love them so much in Japan. Spin is good in some cases

Stew you try the X01 and the X01Z? I have not yet but remember them requiring beast mode to gain advantage on them.

We will get the new balls into the proshop soon.

Don't forget Mizuno balls, big improvement over when they first started.

my week in /out balls for years have been the x-01 range,

its now the x-01z

they are a litle firmer, and they are slightly longer than last yrs x-01 which are also magnificent balls i n the cold.

and they are so soft around the greens i really think they stand out.

ive tried every ball imaginable , and at chrissy last yr i took 10 boxes of x-01s back to sdyney to play in the windy firm greens, they are tops , i was using callaway black somthing or others, which are def longer, but no where near as good in close or off the putter face. in fact they are hideous to putt with , clikc, like hittign a marble, binned em real quick..

the super newing i cant not use in t he winter tho u get so much more distance., and they go much higher.

the last time i looked golf balls were made from rubber compunds.

so it prob stands to reason , to use a ball that is made by a rubber company..

just a thought..............,

Yep I hear that Stu, I haven't had much experience with bridgestone, but have used Srixon from time to time (dunlop) is also another rubber company and I always find them very good for a mid range ball, I like them even more on some of the goldy tracks when I lose hundreds :)

Water water every where.

How do they compare to the srixon, I am a mid caper so like a distance ball with nice feel, I also hit a high ball, bad shot is a slice, bridgy recommendations?

Have always wanted to try the newing!

Curently play V 1x

Edited by hutchy

So my very best friend will be visiting Tokyo next week. Although only an occassional golfer, he does want to see some Japan only golf stuff. The good news for me is that he wants to bring me back a present!!

2 questions.

1. Any mainstream department stores or sporting good stores that have a good selection of JDM golf clubs that I can point my friend in the right direction?

2. Any suggestions for what he can bring back to me that would be easy for him to carry on the plane or put in luggage. I was thinking of a dozen golf balls (Which ones? --looking for a distance ball) or even a pair of golf shoes that you can't get in the states (I am a size 7D-what size would be equivilant?).

Other suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

I have been Tokyo April. I enjoyed trip thanks to Chris, Supo, and Craig.

1. I visited "Victoria Golf" and bought some stuff. Your friend can get there easily by google map or tripadvisor.

Good place to shop various kind of JDM golf goods, though some expensive.

2. How about 'character' headcovers?

If I buy JDM ball for my friend, I'll take "Tourstage" or "Honma".

I don't know about international flights but on domestic flights here in the Philippines you're not allowed to bring golf balls as carry on.

Japanese shoes will tend to be narrow, even the "wide" are not that wide. To determine size just add the 2 numbers. Size 26=8, size 29=11. Don't know what they do for size 12 and bigger.

I would suggest headwear and shirts. Even the Callaway clothing is different. They generally run half a size small.

My friend advises me he may be interested in playing a round of golf. Any recommendations for places in the suburbs of Tokyo to play? I assume you can rent clubs?