The quest ....

chuck4golf

The quest is for that scintillating iron that has some real glue to stay in the bag. Or just to accept I am a ho who is always going to try something new.

Me: a 5-7 index, actually improving. Down from a 14 in 2 yrs at age 62. Just picked up swing speed with the shaft on plane. (Driver SS is now in low 90's up from mid 80's.) Feeling good about my game. Want the most satisfying clubs for this. I have decided blades are not prudent after thinking seriously about getting a new set of them. Plus I have a set of Macgregor 1025s that I really love and practice with already.

I play Epon 503s. Thinking about Epon 302's, Mirura CB-2007. Also the Miura 5005, but they might be a little too demanding.

Criteria: Thin top line, decent sole for all kinds of turf (I am not a digger), reasonable offset, solid feel at impact (not too soft, like to feel the ball compress and feel the transmission of power).

Why swap? No good reason, frankly. The 503's are great clubs. I hit a lot of greens with them. I think I want something that is right on the edge of my skill level with a little more feedback on less good swings. I want the good shots to feel great and the mediocre swings to not punish too much, but not disguise the reality of the swing.

Before I pull the trigger, anything else I should really pay attention to? Any thoughts about the 3 on my mind (302 vs 2007 vs 5005)?

Edited by chuck4golf

302's wouldn't be a bad option. Might lose a little distance. I do feel like they give feedback while also being extremely forgiving for a CB. Your already familiar with the leading edge grind and its versatile like you want. I'm ~105 with the driver and wouldn't mind finding a 4 iron 503, you play 5-pw? Sorry can't compare the others but figured I'd chime in with a 302 review.

Thanks. Yes, good addition to the list. I have seen a lot of enthusiasm for these. I will look at them in depth.

Does the phrase 'not too soft, like to feel the ball compress and the transmission of power' have any meaning? You're probably the best to suggest, if what I am describing makes any sense. ... I know really soft clubs don't give me the feel of impact I am trying to describe, but I am not sure how to describe the sensation. Not clicky and hard, but where you really feel the mass hitting the ball and the ball giving way.

Does all that rambling lead to any suggestions or differentiation among these clubs?

PS: The regaining of club head speed, but with a more fundamentally sound and reliable swing is also a big deal for me.

Thanks. Yes, good addition to the list. I have seen a lot of enthusiasm for these. I will look at them in depth.

Does the phrase 'not too soft, like to feel the ball compress and the transmission of power' have any meaning? You're probably the best to suggest, if what I am describing makes any sense. ... I know really soft clubs don't give me the feel of impact I am trying to describe, but I am not sure how to describe the sensation. Not clicky and hard, but where you really feel the mass hitting the ball and the ball giving way.

Does all that rambling lead to any suggestions or differentiation among these clubs?

PS: The regaining of club head speed, but with a more fundamentally sound and reliable swing is also a big deal for me.

Seem like you just describe the feel of OnOff and Yamaha irons....

Tomcat, seems like I've seen a lot of sus316 on the used club for sale markets. Can't be a good sign. And even though people say the personals are very easy to hit for blades, I have shut the door on the blade lust for now. But it's always on my mind.

Ed, these both look tempting.

The iron that I like the look of from the address position (from pics) is the cb-2007. I haven't seen any heads that I can recall with that 'w' bar design. Anyone playing them? If so, what do you think? They and onoff are leaders in the club house, but the yamaha's are really interesting too. Lot of choices in their line up including blended set, which is intriguing. The 2015 RMX Tour CB look especially great.

All three seem so incredible looking. So let me focus on these three. New options will just strain my brain, and I'm too old to think too hard.

Cb-2007. Onoff kuro. Yamaha tour cb. These are the finalists. My impression is they are about the same forgiveness, same distance wise, except onoff has stronger lofts.

Any suggestions about how to compare them?

you should try yamaha irons, they have that feeling that you described. the epon af-302 has a pretty soft feel.

Not sure if you would be interested since they are only considered "Semi JDM" I guess....

But I still trust Mizuno MP line to provide the solid feeling you've described as well as the right balance of forgiveness.

And, if you are looking for something special, you can order custom finish with slightly modified grinds for a reasonable price

Can't go wrong with MPs.

Tomcat, seems like I've seen a lot of sus316 on the used club for sale markets. Can't be a good sign. And even though people say the personals are very easy to hit for blades, I have shut the door on the blade lust for now. But it's always on my mind.

The iron that I like the look of from the address position (from pics) is the cb-2007. I haven't seen any heads that I can recall with that 'w' bar design. Anyone playing them? If so, what do you think? They and onoff are leaders in the club house, but the yamaha's are really interesting too. Lot of choices in their line up including blended set, which is intriguing. The 2015 RMX Tour CB look especially great.

All three seem so incredible looking. So let me focus on these three. New options will just strain my brain, and I'm too old to think too hard.

Cb-2007. Onoff kuro. Yamaha tour cb. These are the finalists. My impression is they are about the same forgiveness, same distance wise, except onoff has stronger lofts.

SUS are everything but difficult to play.

They are my gamer for 6 months now. They might cost me 2 or 3 shot per round, but I'm playing in the 20's so that's something I am ready to accept. ;)

Idea #1 - Beautiful setup, great feel/feedback, fairly forgiving for it's compactness.

#3 & #4 Yamaha Tour Model PB

#5-PW Yamaha Tour Model CB

Idea #2 - a bit larger setup than the Yamaha, softer feel, very forgiving for it's size

ONOFF Kuro Forged 3-PW

The in between is the CB358.

Nob's does have a point also the with Yoro Craft's, this is what I have on order:

- MP-15

- Double Nickel Satin Finish
- W Sole Grind
- Grind sharper toe and straight top line
+0.5mm Face Progression (less offset)
- Dark blue (Mizuno blue) paintfill for logos
- D3 Swing Weight
- Standard Length/Lie
- Mizuno Blue Grip

- Modus3 Tour 125 Stiff

I love my Epon 302's but they are a very soft feel. You barely feel impact when you hit the sweetspot. This does not describe what you are looking for.

Nob's does have a point also the with Yoro Craft's, this is what I have on order:

- MP-15

- Double Nickel Satin Finish

- W Sole Grind

- Grind sharper toe and straight top line

+0.5mm Face Progression (less offset)

- Dark blue (Mizuno blue) paintfill for logos

- D3 Swing Weight

- Standard Length/Lie

- Mizuno Blue Grip

- Modus3 Tour 125 Stiff

Oh Maaan! Those 15s are going to be amazing!~

Do take pics and share when you get them!

How does the 15s compare to 59s? Mizuno site shows them to be a little more demanding. The 59's were one set I wish I hadn't traded away. I have always shied away from custom. Not sure I know enough to start screwing around with grinds. But this is a good new entrant. I think the onoffs are too similar to my 503s and would be kind of redundant.

No love for the miura cb-2007?

ONOFFs are not at all like the 503's. They feel much better and different, there is also no undercut and they are smaller with less offset, just more pure all around. think semi mid sized. I'd say closer to the 302 than 503.

CB2007 or any Miura iron doesn't pack the same forgiveness for size.

Yamaha and Honma are also good forgings with excellent feedback at impact.

Thanks. Very helpful input.

What you describe, IMO, is the Mizuno feel.

One set I regret selling was the Mizuno MP-59's. That was dumb. I was looking at Chris's specs on his 15s. Question: why did you add the W sole grind? What does it add/do to the sole interaction? Who is it for and what does it do?

I sold my 302s and keeping the 316s in the bag.... both unbelievable irons...

One set I regret selling was the Mizuno MP-59's. That was dumb. I was looking at Chris's specs on his 15s. Question: why did you add the W sole grind? What does it add/do to the sole interaction? Who is it for and what does it do?

I ordered it to show off what's possible with the Yoro MP-15 Irons not because I need it as I've got clubs up the ying yang and really don't need anymore so it's to shoot photos of and to talk about really.

But to answer your question. W sole is the combo of a couple of grinds, the trailing and leading edge grind and similar to wedges they function the same way, leading edge grind is good for softer conditions or people who find they dig or come in steep and need that killed leading edge, trailing edge in irons is a bit different than in wedges it creates less interaction with the turf but also allows for a fraction more workability. None of it really necessary but I figured why not If I'm ordering to show what can be done minus well max these puppies out.

The good thing about Yoro vs say Buchi is that Yoro will not be overly drastic in the mods that it will hurt the original and intended design, so with Yoro you can go all out and feel safe it won't have as much as a negative effect.

Thx.

Haha. When I read your post re the 15's I really thought 'this guy is like the chief ho.' Would that make you a golf madam?

The last club I want to think about is Honma world tour v. Can anyone characterize feel on these? Pics look awesome. SO MANY GOOD OPTIONS! Not to be too graphic, but to continue the metaphor, this site is like a very high end brothel. Tempting beauties everywhere!!

Agree with those who have said the Yamaha's sound like exactly the feel you're describing looking for. I'm playing the 2014 RMX MB's and love that feel they give off. Also the etched waffle lines on the face give something really unique to both feel and workability. I was a Miura lover prior to these, and I have to say the Yammies offer something that is one-of-a-kind. They also have both leading and trailing edge relief, and I find they play well off the kikuyu at my club, both rough and fwy. Good luck with whichever way you go.

Kikuyu should be illegal! You must be in so cal, too. The problem is, every set I am considering (yamaha, onoff, honma, miura, mizuno) - are each things of beauty and really fine tools for enjoying the game. Thankfully work has me swamped, so I can let all this input percolate. But you just made a very compelling case. Kikuyu!

Thx, and to all who took the time to comment, many thanks. It's fun to think all this thru. When I was a kid in rural Arkansas I would look thru the Sears catalog toy section before Xmas, over and over. That's what this reminds me of. Especially this site's store is great to read thru. Makes me just want to back the truck up to the warehouse and fill it up. I mean, I have at least one moment with each option where I have thought, 'ok, this one.'

Yup, LA area for me, too.

And I know that back-the-truck-up feeling well. (Think probably everyone here does... <g> )

Good luck. You won't go wrong with any of them.