Check it out! My new weapon has arrived!!

nobmontana

In 2013, I had played the PG-313 for an entire season which doesn't happen very often for me.

I had a FEX Max WBQ in it and it worked wonderfully.

I hit most drives very well with the 313 with occasional misses as pulls. It's my swing , I know ....

I loved everything about the driver but I was also seeking just a bit more forgiveness.

Since then, I probably tried and played 5 to 6 different drivers in the last season and did play the Ping G30 for a couple of months towards the end of the season. The G30 definitely gave me the forgiveness I was seeking with the distance performance to go with it. But as many of you know, the sound on those heads are just annoyingly loud. After a couple of tournaments, I just said "no more" of that loud "CLANK" sound. So off to the bay it went. From late last season in to winter, I have been seeking a driver that would provide me good forgiveness with good sound and feel plus enough weight so I don't have to go super long with the length. I settled with an Epon AF-153 and paired it with Waccine GR 77 and is currently my gamer and very satisfied with it. Then a month ago... a new limited edition shaft was introduced by Triphas. AAA 2015.. only 500 made!! . Interesting. OK.... so I go buy a copy of Turbotax did my taxes over a weekend and found out I am getting some tax back.... great timing!! :) Don't get me wrong. I am totally happy with the 153/Waccine combo now but the inner Ho in me keeps wanting yet another "backup" driver .... Alright... let's get the AAA shaft!

But what head do I use? Another 153? maybe... naaa that's too boring. But I still do want the properties of the AF-153. Big and forgiving, good sounding/feeling head but perhaps a bit hotter faced.

Epon heads, as Chris might also attest, do not have the hottest faces on the market.

OnOff 358 driver looked pretty promising.... I want a build with the AAA and unfortunately OnOff does not offer custom shafts outside of their OnOff and Roddio range of shafts.

I even thought about some USDM heads like 915D2 etc... Do I really want to use such a premium JDM shaft in a plain USDM head? Absolutely not!! Not a good match in my book.

After a weekend or two surfing on the web to find a good head to pair up with the AAA shaft...

I remembered the great success I had with the P-Tune a couple of years ago and I knew about the newer model they had released last year. " PG-414"

Compared to the PG-313. the 414 is 10cc larger head at 450cc. A bit more shallow design.

Hmmmmm..... okay.. 11 deg at neutral? .. probably a bit high for me. I can adjust it.

When I had the PG313 it was set to 10 deg and I only remember mid to low penetrating flights with that driver. Did some additional reading on the 414 and determined that the loft was not going to be an issue. This is the head I want!!

As usual, Chris helped my tremendously in the order process and exactly 14 days since the order my driver arrived! Thank you Chris!!

Have not even removed the shrink wrap yet :)

I do notice significant improvement in the overall quality compared to the PG-313.

I think their QC has matured in the last 2 years. I am very happy with the build and look forward to trying out the driver hopefully tomorrow.

In addition to the driver, I also found out they just came out with a new FW head the "PG-FW V2"

So I got a 3 wood head in 16 deg. Wow!! This is by far the most beautiful looking fairway wood head I have every seen!! Has just the right amount of size and deep face ( not too deep ) It is perfect! Looking forward to shafting it and trying it as well.

In the meantime, please enjoy the pics comparing against the 153 as well as the FW wood head pics

post-14163-0-64050300-1426740280_thumb.jpost-14163-0-29742400-1426740310_thumb.jpost-14163-0-10627800-1426740314_thumb.jpost-14163-0-31541100-1426740256_thumb.jpost-14163-0-66702200-1426740259_thumb.jpost-14163-0-54081300-1426740266_thumb.jpost-14163-0-85623300-1426740269_thumb.jpost-14163-0-29858200-1426740273_thumb.jpost-14163-0-60475600-1426740276_thumb.j

Edited by nobmontana

That's a beauty..... I always think P-tune is one of the most underrated driver out there. Still have my 313 and till today their quality is so much more superior to other brand drivers I've seen/ played.

Keep us posted how it goes, especially compare to 313 and 153... If it's as good or better than the 313, might put mine on BST and pick up one of those babies...

Edited by EdGolf

Will definitely keep you posted.

I agree that they are very under rated. Probably because the company is so small and do not do heavy advertising.

The "P-tune" name also does not sound too performance oriented either. :)

With the right marketing strategies , I think they could grow their business tremendously.

The face angle is slightly closed at the "N" setting ( I think 0.5deg... ) but I will try all the positions to get the best result.

Size looks perfect. Definitely shallower than the 313 and slightly bigger from the top so it inspires confidence.

When setting it side by side with the 153 , the Epon looks smaller from the top even though the Epon is 460cc vs the 450cc of the P-tune.

Nob

Love the Ptune. Still wish I hadn't moved mine on. The AAA shaft looks great can't wait to hear what you think of it. Excellent work!

The 3 wood is going to get a Crazy FW50 Sigma which I bought from a fellow member.

I unfortunately do not have a good history with Crazy driver shafts in general ...

I either chose the wrong flexes before or something.... We'll see what happens with the FW.

2 more hours until I can go hit it!!

Nob

Love the Ptune. Still wish I hadn't moved mine on. The AAA shaft looks great can't wait to hear what you think of it. Excellent work!

I really like the matt black finish of the shaft as well as the satin gold graphics they used. Makes it look very pristine!

I previously had problems with the chrome finish on the Basileus Z where it started peeling where I regripped.

theres love for p-tune here....,

GOOD stuff fellas , ive alwayas been a bit of a fan of them and good on ya for trying things out that arnt "off the shelf"

pretty sure the designer of p tune used to be THE man for dunlop golf for eons , from memory .

fisrt one of these heads i had was with a diamana stigner was a very distinctive feel.

didnt like it at first, was so differnt but got it wired later on and really liked it.

was the p110 i think i t was called?????

and from memory these wernt cheap!

the weight placement in them was pretty indiviualistic at the time.

thier quality improved a bit i presume ?

OK went out to a 9 hole after work ... no warm up and no range time.

Result.... horrible swing. :)

About the driver. Unfortunately, I need to tweak it a bit.

1. First and foremost the head is LOUD!! If anyone has tried the KZG PFT300 You would know what I am talking about.

I need to foam this head. Chris, help me!

2. Trajectory at 10.5deg is a bit higher than I like. Will set it down 1/2 a degree with the "O" setting. That should do the trick.

3. Distance One of the longest hits I had in a while! Perhaps longer than G30. Defintely longer than my 153.

4. Feel: Very soft at impact but hot. I think if the sound gets muted, it might feel even softer.

Now for the shaft:

1. Very smooth!! Being 80T and all, I thought perhaps it would have a glassy feel. Not at all.

Smooth as a Diamana Blue or smoother.

2. No sudden surprise kicks. Swing felt continuous Was able to feel the head.

3. I would probably end up tipping it 1/4" to 1/2" to make it a tiny bit more stable.

I will give it another range session tomorrow before sending it in for a foam job.

Will let you know if I get different results.

Edited by nobmontana

Heads are on the way back to Tokyo to get a foaming job.

Will report again when I have them back!!

I still remember the first time I got a foam job in Tokyo...

Will await your feedback!

we talking about the same kinda "foam" job?! :)

More shaft info please! Have you ever used the Diamana X or Rogue? How's it compare to your Waccine?

Thanks!

I 'll do a full followup on the shaft after the head comes back.

From of the few shots i had, all the shots ended up to the right of my target. and nothing to the left.

the description specifically calls out anti left on this shaft so perhaps this is what i was seeing.

Edited by nobmontana

You are right about the sound. Like a cannon from an old spanish galleon. Can you imagine having it and the original Egg plus ear plugs.

Will be interesting how the foaming goes.

Speaking of foam jobs in Tokyo, I dont think it counts if you are on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

OK got my P tune heads back. That was really quick! less than two weeks from sending them to Japan and back to Montana.

Thanks again to Chris for arranging this. Have not taken it out to hit it yet, but bounced balls on the face a bit in the house and

sound has been muted much from before!! Might have to send in my G30 head as well...

Looking forward to taking it out to the range tomorrow after work. Will be focusing on how the AAA performs.

Good range session today even though it was below 50 deg and close to 35 deg when Ieft!! Burrrrrr....

So a word on the AAA shaft. This thing is silky smooth but stable as heck at the same time.

Feel is so refined! No glassy feel common with some previous generation 80T shafts.

Loading and unloading of the shaft feels so precise and consistent on every swing!

PG414 foamed head now sound more or less like a wooden bat with a nice !! CRAAAACCK !! sound at impact.

1000% times better than stock!

This combo is looooong and forgiving! No numbers yet but ball is coming off the face really hot!

No need for G30 anymore. it's going to the Bay.

How distance and forgiveness wise as compare to their previous model?? Thinking of letting mine go and get the newer model or reshaft it again !!

Compared to the 313 I think this head is quite a bit more forgiving. I would put it in the same league as Epon AF-153.

Distance wise, I do feel 414 is hotter than the 313. Maybe it just feels hotter due to the 8-1-1 Ti they use on the face

which is the same Ti used for Ping G25 or Titleist 915 drivers. I don't have numbers unfortunately.

I will warn you that you should really think about foaming or hot melting it from a sound perspective.

The raw sound to me was as loud as a Nike Sumo ( remember those ? )

The 313 sound was not bad at all. 414 is really loud without the foam.

Feel at impact is softer than the 313 after I got the 414 foamed.

I ordered a 10.5 loft at neutral setting and the ball flies more like a 9.5 with the AAA shaft.

I normally play 9 or 9.5 deg with other drivers and this one does not go any higher.

Good advice.... P-tune is one of the most under rated driver out there... Now only thing I need to decided is to reshaft my 313 or sell it and get the new one..!!

pretty awesome nob, can you take some video or audio next time so we can hear the sound of that foamed head?

did you also get the ptune 3w foamed too?

I actually did get the 3w foamed. I just really wanted heavier weight on that.

Was not a problem with sound. But thanks to the foam, the 3w is also a bit quieter.

Crazy FW50 Sigma is working great in that head!