ONOFF Leap Frog 70/64/52* Wedge Pics

Chris,

Finally got them yesterday and will be taking them out today for a spin at the practice range..

Quite a strange feel that the face appears to be looking straight back at me on address..

Chris,

Finally got them yesterday and will be taking them out today for a spin at the practice range..

Quite a strange feel that the face appears to be looking straight back at me on address..

looking forward to your feedback Dave. which one(s) did you get?

looking forward to your feedback Dave. which one(s) did you get?

I only got the 64* as i'm struggling a bit to play open face on 60* (i'm playing Kenmochi KW-103) in the sand.. Too inconsistent.. The channel grind in the sole seems rather intriguing..

I now played the 64* for about 5 games now. Getting out of the sand is not a problem at all but gauging distance of each bunker shots would take more practice. Very good at shortish bunker but it is not a great tool for long bunker with a 64*. You would play it square and not open up the 64 or 70*.

thanks for the update guys. I've been practicing my bunker game a little and the confidence is a little higher but still intrigued by these as a bunker safety valve. how's it as a regular wedge around the greens? if not great or only so so, may not be worth it to me to take up a bag spot and only work for bunkers

To be honest, I am actually afraid to use the 64 anywhere except bunkers. Just too high loft for me without a lot of practice as a chipping or pitching tool. Fortunately I use mainly my 54* around the green so the 64* (replace my 58*) does not take away a spot in the bag.

To be honest, I am actually afraid to use the 64 anywhere except bunkers. Just too high loft for me without a lot of practice as a chipping or pitching tool. Fortunately I use mainly my 54* around the green so the 64* (replace my 58*) does not take away a spot in the bag.

Thanks, Mate.. I'll focus on trying it around the various types of roughs around the green to get a more complete picture then.. The promotional brochures from ONOFF seems to indicate that it's quite versatile..

interesting loft & bounce. Cant wait for more feedback, especially on the bunker effectiveness

Ok.. A quick round at the range today with the 64* that arrived yesterday.. Overall performance/usability not particularly impressed so far, but heck its just one range session..

I now played the 64* for about 5 games now. Getting out of the sand is not a problem at all but gauging distance of each bunker shots would take more practice. Very good at shortish bunker but it is not a great tool for long bunker with a 64*. You would play it square and not open up the 64 or 70*.

You are right, mate.. Performs excellent for green-side bunkers for about 20-30 yards to pin.. Goes high and lands soft, dead in its tracks with good spin.. Set up square and swing away returns quite consistently similar results..

It does quite decent in shortish to thick rough for high flop shots.. Good spin generated, actually had a bit of backspin even..

Apart from the above, wouldn't say it's particularly versatile and definitely not suitable for hard, firm lies considering the high bounce..

It will probably take more practise to get accustomed to this wedge, but will give it benefit of doubt and game it a few more rounds to see how it handles with wider variety..

post-16751-0-93103900-1430926904_thumb.j

post-16751-0-54988900-1430926912_thumb.j

post-16751-0-32207500-1430926930_thumb.j

post-16751-0-10066100-1430926938_thumb.j

Feel golf made a 73* I tried for a while. You have to make a big swing to get it to go anywhere and you can imagine where it goes when you make a big swing from 20 or 30 yards and you catch it thin.

Ok.. A quick round at the range today with the 64* that arrived yesterday.. Overall performance/usability not particularly impressed so far, but heck its just one range session..

You are right, mate.. Performs excellent for green-side bunkers for about 20-30 yards to pin.. Goes high and lands soft, dead in its tracks with good spin.. Set up square and swing away returns quite consistently similar results..

It does quite decent in shortish to thick rough for high flop shots.. Good spin generated, actually had a bit of backspin even..

Apart from the above, wouldn't say it's particularly versatile and definitely not suitable for hard, firm lies considering the high bounce..

It will probably take more practise to get accustomed to this wedge, but will give it benefit of doubt and game it a few more rounds to see how it handles with wider variety..

last photo is very impressive! who held the club for you?:)

last photo is very impressive! who held the club for you?:)

Haha.. Thanks Spoon.. haha.. I set it up against a bag holder at the range at the angle I was setting up to hit it.. Took a while..

You would notice the slight shaft lean.. Without the shaft lean, the leading edge is almost pointing about ¼ up from the bottom of the ball..

Haha.. Thanks Spoon.. haha.. I set it up against a bag holder at the range at the angle I was setting up to hit it.. Took a while..

You would notice the slight shaft lean.. Without the shaft lean, the leading edge is almost pointing about ¼ up from the bottom of the ball..

GREAT!

id love to give this a try, i open my wedges a lot most epecially the lob wedge.

let us know how it goes. i doubt it can kick out my shingo 59!

How would this work on firmer sand bunkers?? Could see it work for fluffy sands but those heavier or harder pan lies could be an issue

How would this work on firmer sand bunkers?? Could see it work for fluffy sands but those heavier or harder pan lies could be an issue

As long as it's not packed solid, it seemed fine as the range I tried it at is generally firmer/rougher sand.. But after going at it for a while, I continued in the soften area, and worked just as well..

Will be using it at 2 different courses over the next 7 days (one of the course has bleached white sand imported from USA I read somewhere, and the other is the rough, dried stuff), so prob will be able to provide a rounded feedback..

Still waiting for the brave person willing to test the 70.

Maybe we should organize a call for donations for the willing (if not for the club but at least possible expenses for the dentist)

Tried it with loose and fluffy sand and today firmer sand due to rain in the morning. The technique and result were basically the same. I found it works better with a descending blow with weight mainly on the front foot. 50/50 weight doesn't seem to work as well.

Tried it with loose and fluffy sand and today firmer sand due to rain in the morning. The technique and result were basically the same. I found it works better with a descending blow with weight mainly on the front foot. 50/50 weight doesn't seem to work as well.

this sounds promising at least. this seems more easily repeatable with a square stance and favoring weight on front foot, then swing and explode it out. aiming any different or just 2" behind the ball?

I previously used a 60 both in bunker and around the greens for a while and dropped to a 58 which I can open up easily (flop, bunker, etc). I can see a 64 or 70 being great in a couple situations but would be dangerous as an all-around wedge (and yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I have had plenty of 58-open thin shots that go 150 yards on the ground). The grind is interesting and I have no doubt these would be great in a bunker or soft/fluffy lie close to a green, just not sure if it can take a spot in the bag...