Fantastic session at 7D

nobmontana

Woohoo! Got to do my Haute Couture fitting session earlier today at 7D labs Tokyo!!

Though my two daughters will disagree, for me it was far better than Tokyo Disneyland ! :)

Based on the data they collected today, they will analyze the kick points and bend characteristics and design a shaft to match my swing. I did'nt really choose Distance or Control but told them I want both.

The fitter agreed and gave me an idea of what type of shaft he had in mind for me.

65 to 70g , S to SX flex , 46.75 to 47 inch club length , D6 to D7 swing weight.

Sounds pretty crazy.... we also detemined lower torque is key to tighter dispersion for my swing.

I told him that my goal was to drive passed my playing buddy back in Montana who drives it 320 yrds on any given day! He agreed he'll keep that in mind and thinks it may actually be achievable!

As a baseline, my best drive today on their trackman was 292 including roll using a Grandista Version S head paired to Diamana B 60 X @ 46". This head will be getting the 7D shaft.

really looking forward to the to the final product!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, really looking forward to hear about the finished club! And, yes those are some very interesting specs for sure

Congrats, nob! Sounds like another happy 7D camper! Look forward to hearing the follow ups, too.

In the meantime, would also love to hear more detail about the fitting experience. How long were you there? What was the routine in terms of hitting, trying different heads and shafts? Or do they work off of results they get with some kind of baseline shaft? Would enjoy pictures or video some day, too (if they'd allow...).

I envy you guys for the in-person experience, hope to make the trip some day myself. Still VERY happy with the results from just the questionnaire, but would be curious to see if an in-person fitting further refined a choice for me.

cheers,

--RL

Awesome nob, congrats! It is a cool experience. 7D is the only golf company that I'll put any faith into their claims, so if they say they can get you past your buddy I believe them. Good luck trying not to think about it for the next month or so...lol ;)

Thanks guys! Yes, It will be tough to wait for the delivery. I think he mentioned possibly upto two months... :(

The process on site was pretty straight forward. I brought my driver, so first took a few swings with it first to obtain baseline numbers.

Then they picked one of the test shafts that might feel and weigh close to my own and put it in a 915 D2 head and started to record my swing using two high speed cameras up on the ceiling. Their test shafts all have 7 or so motion markers that they use to analyze the dynamic movement of the shaft while in motion. I was told the analysis focuses on the speed and position of each marker from the 8 o'clock position to the 4 o'clock position. The granularity of the plot looked like every millisecond. They can then detect irregularity on a given marker in motion and determine what needs to be tweaked to remove irregular bend motion or unwanted resonance. Their design is to "smooth out " the dynamic property of the shaft to match your swing.

He also let me test a few shafts that had some very unique specs really to demonstrate their design and manufacturing capabilities. XX flex with higher 3.5 torque and then a Regular flex with a rather low 3.2 deg torque. I was able to hit either shaft without major issues but did get significantly different launch as well as distance. The session lasted about an hour.

He also mentioned that many of his users actually saw a slight increase in overall swing speed after a few months of using their shaft likely due to added confidence and better feel.

Thanks, nob! Sounds exquisite in the detail. And the focus area of the swing arc really makes sense to me in light of the way my swing feels when I get my best shots off with both of the shafts they made for me. Very cool -- these guys are good!

And P.S., with regard to the pre-arrival "waiting period" you're in now, props to Chris for nursing me through mine............ <g> I'd suggest many more distractions like Disneyland... ;=]

Agree that they posess expert knowledge and technology to produce the absolute best in industry shaft. Very very cool! :)

Sound like an amazing experience....

You'll get 5-star service there. The staff was no nice. They prepare the glove and golf shoes for you there (in almost all sizes). They even walked me out of their office to show me the way to Tokyo Tower after the fitting done.

Great write up mate

Hope the result matches the experience, though I am sure it will

Interesting point about swing speed increasing.

I think from my own experience, there is no fear about really going after it, so I think it is a valid point.

That is awesome! I am really tempted (and saving :tsg_smilie_smile2:) to get the full experience.

Silly question: do they (he) speak(s) English?

That is awesome! I am really tempted (and saving :tsg_smilie_smile2:) to get the full experience.

Silly question: do they (he) speak(s) English?

Even if your particular fitter doesn't, they will make sure to have someone there that does if they know you don't speak Japanese.

Even if your particular fitter doesn't, they will make sure to have someone there that does if they know you don't speak Ja
You'll get 5-star service there. The staff was no nice. They prepare the glove and golf shoes for you there (in almost all sizes). They even walked me out of their office to show me the way to Tokyo Tower after the fitting done.

For most people, that is the case.

For me, they did not have my sizes. :)

Not an issue. Just bring or wear a pair of sneakers and bring your own gloves if you are significantly taller than the average Japanese like me.

I loved the carbon fiber coaster they had to serve their drinks!

How do you book the fitting session with 7 Dreamers? Do you contact them directly through their website? Thanks.

We book it for you and make sure there is an English speaker but on top of that we also make sure they are not forgetting anything.

Nob-san, August 10th we should have your shaft.

That's great to know!

Just in time for my annual local tournaments!

• 1 month later...

How is this working out Nob-san? I am particularly interested to hear about the performance of the Grandista head in this set up please.

it just made it to SFO yesterday. out of customs and on my way either today ot tomorrow. Woohoo!

However, I am currently suffering some type of tendinitis in my left wrist and really can't make good full swings until

i get like a cortizone shot or something to ease the pain. Will post some reviews hopefully soon!

Definitely living vicariously through you!!

I thought you may be interested in what I received thru 7D today!!

- The driver :)

- velvet club case with 7D logo stitched in silver

- CFRP polisher/cleaner with cleaning cloth in a velvet pouch

- membership card with your name on a carbon fiber card.

- Owner's booklet with design specs and actual final build specs.

"Exquisite" all the way!!

I wish I was in a condition to try this out but I think I am a couple of weeks out until I can swing clubs again. I hope to post reviews including a comparo between my AF153/AAA combo once I am able to!!

In the mean time, here are some pics.

Specifically, check out the specs!! 319.8g 46.75" D9 !! Holy CRAP !

post-14163-0-16237700-1440210438_thumb.jpost-14163-0-96635300-1440210427_thumb.jpost-14163-0-57630200-1440210434_thumb.jpost-14163-0-46419100-1440210441_thumb.j

That's a long long driver..... U usually play such a heavy SW?

Based on his reaction, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no

That's a long long driver..... U usually play such a heavy SW?

Not usually, but this Grandista was originally built with a Diamana B 60X at 46.25" when I did the fitting

and I had no issues with consistency. D9 is probably the heaviest SW for a driver I had. We'll see!