Looking for a good 7Wood. Need help

marmaduk

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for a good 7wood..........as the topic states. lol

I like the idea of trying out a 7wood. I have never gamed one before but sometimes have troubles getting my 4iron high enough in the air. Please give me your suggestions and preferences.

I know most players will go UT/Hybrid instead of 7wood so I would also like to know why you went 7wood over Hybrid.

Also, if you are looking to get rid of your 7wood I may be interested too. Let me know.

Cheers, jeff

a grind 7 wood is excellent!

Used it for a couple of months last year. The very occasional hooks got me back to using driving irons.

Its probably my swing ...

I am currently using a Yamaha I.F.F. (2008?) 7W shafted with a Crazy FW80 at 42" 5W length. Essentially I wanted a 5 wood that I can hit suuuper high and would just drop and stop. The other 5 woods I had tried were good but I didn't feel like I could hit them high enough to attack and hold greens the way I wanted to. The longer 7W allows me to do that. The face is hot and has a solid metallic "tink" sound. The I.F.F. is nothing fancy, just a straight up solid fw. A great cheaper alternative. Picked it up based on the recommendations of others here.

Another good 7W I have tried is the older Nike SQII. Not JDM, but plays great.

I alternate between the 7W or 19* hybrid depending on the course and conditions. Mostly I keep the 7W because I can get that long crazy high/soft shot. I can not get that with the hybrid. The 7W is not bad off the tee either for shorter narrow par 4s. It just goes really high unless you knock it down, sometimes too high for the trade winds we get here.

If I could try (afford) a new fw I would love to try the A Grind, looks so pure at address.

Edited by LudaCliff

Luda.

This is a very interesting idea. The reason I wanted to go 7w was because my 4iron would get me the distance but was far too piercing a trajectory to control. What kind of distance gains or losses can be expected when shafting a 7w with 5w shaft? I guess you would lose a little for a 5w and gain a little for a 7w?

What does your gapping look like when you use this club? 6i,5i,7w?

Luda.

This is a very interesting idea. The reason I wanted to go 7w was because my 4iron would get me the distance but was far too piercing a trajectory to control. What kind of distance gains or losses can be expected when shafting a 7w with 5w shaft? I guess you would lose a little for a 5w and gain a little for a 7w?

You must also consider the swing weight.

The head of a 7w is heavier than that of a 5w. It will make the shaft too flex

Edited by Romaro-Slut

Luda.

Many people choose to replace their long irons with either a wood or hybrid because that is what they prefer. It may be because of their swing (hitter, sweeper, etc.), how a club looks at address, etc., it is such a personal decision. If you are strictly looking for a higher launching club to replace your 4i, and you like to hit your long irons, I would recommend looking for either a more game improvement 4i or a compact-mid sized hybrid. However, if you are more comfortable or have good success hitting woods off the deck, then a FW or larger hybrid may be better. Hybrids come in so many sizes now, some are really compact and iron-like and others can almost be considered a FW. How a head feels is another big factor too. As you can see there are many things to consider. The only real way to be sure is to try out some clubs or see them in person (if possible) or really do your homework to be sure before you buy.

If you are looking for a FW equivalent for your 4i, I think a 9 wood is actually the equivalent, or build a shorter 7 wood? It all depends on your current carry distances. You want something that will give you the specific yardage you are looking for, which would require hitting and testing the club.

Another thing you could consider is changing the shaft of your current 4i to something that launches higher.

My 7W distance fits between my 3W and 4 hybrid. It's closer to the 3W actually. I can sometimes carry the 7W almost as far as my 3W, but it just drops and goes nowhere. But I specifically built it for that fall-out-the-sky Charlie Sheen "Terminal Velocity" type shot. Really, I just wanted to do something like this https://youtu.be/UwNcCX_3zBo , of course about 30+ yards shorter :)

You must also consider the swing weight.

The head of a 7w is heavier than that of a 5w. It will make the shaft too flex

Yes, head weight is very important when trying stuff like this. I was lucky that the Yamaha head was pretty light, so even with the longer shaft the swingweight came out ok, D3 or D4.

Edited by LudaCliff

+1 Yamaha i.f.f. 7w. Great club.

Maybe the new PRGR Egg 7w?

The Egg´s are long and forgiving.

The stockshaft of this year Egg fw I wouldn´t recommend (too tip soft, too light).

I test at the moment the original version of the Crazy LY01 driver shaft tipped one inch in EGG fw 7. That´s much better.

7wood is easier for me to play then 19* hybrid, but best (between 19-21 deg) is a fybrid (a combination of fairwaywood and hybrid, rare to find at the moment..).

Ricky Fowler tested the new Cobra F6 baffler (looks like a fybrid).

Best and most forgiving I´ve ever played has been the Wilson Fybrid with original Bimatrix shaft.

Edited by sundowner

All the stuff mentioned is great. I have a 21* 202 that I guarantee will stand the test of time. The 202 is the best feeling fairway I've ever gamed quite honestly. I do believe there is something to the new "flexible" face technology that a lot of fwy brands are going to but they can't touch the 202 in terms of feel and sound for me.

7w was my favorite club for many years, the really good players may scoff at using one but it's really about what works for you and there is no club easier to launch than a high lofted fwy...

Edited by freehb04

Maybe the new PRGR Egg 7w?

The Egg´s are long and forgiving.

The stockshaft of this year Egg fw I wouldn´t recommend (too tip soft, too light).

I test at the moment the original version of the Crazy LY01 driver shaft tipped one inch in EGG fw 7. That´s much better.

7wood is easier for me to play then 19* hybrid, but best (between 19-21 deg) is a fybrid (a combination of fairwaywood and hybrid, rare to find at the moment..).

Ricky Fowler tested the new Cobra F6 baffler (looks like a fybrid).

Best and most forgiving I´ve ever played has been the Wilson Fybrid with original Bimatrix shaft.

Yeah, I would classify the ryoma ute as a fybrid...it's bigger than some of the 3w's I've gamed...