Whilst I vigorously oppose the nonsense of GOLFER OF THE YEAR being applied to the winner (it's really just the BEST golfer at that championship - that year) I still enjoy watching because it is a Major and there generally is plenty of drama.  Not sure we will get the drama this year with Harman well clear going into the last round. He'd have to have a shocker to lose - but that can happen. I won't be shattered if he does lose though - because his ANNOYING pre-shot routine of 25 waggles is infuriating. If any of my golf buddies came up with that rubbish we'd not hesitate to poison him or at the least hide his clubs. The problem is there will be dopes out there who think it's now a good idea to have a million waggles before hitting the ball. Slow play is bad enough without that creeping in.  

Harman needs to apologize to all of us Golf lovers/watchers for turning what should have been a dramatic final round into a yawn. I was going to send him a nasty email, but the poor guy is short and bald, so let's give him a break.

On 7/23/2023 at 12:53 AM, d**kyfowler said:

Whilst I vigorously oppose the nonsense of GOLFER OF THE YEAR being applied to the winner (it's really just the BEST golfer at that championship - that year) I still enjoy watching because it is a Major and there generally is plenty of drama.  Not sure we will get the drama this year with Harman well clear going into the last round. He'd have to have a shocker to lose - but that can happen. I won't be shattered if he does lose though - because his ANNOYING pre-shot routine of 25 waggles is infuriating. If any of my golf buddies came up with that rubbish we'd not hesitate to poison him or at the least hide his clubs. The problem is there will be dopes out there who think it's now a good idea to have a million waggles before hitting the ball. Slow play is bad enough without that creeping in.  

”Champion golfer of the year” is true. Not sure why you think differently.

absolute nonsense to suggest the winner of just this tournament is the CHAMPION of the Year....for all golf on the planet. He is only the Champion of the British Open and for that year. He is no more entitled to be considered the greatest of all golfers for the entire year than the winner of the US Open or any of the Majors. And apart from all of that - it was on a links course where luck is a big player - the bounce of the ball on those 'fairways' can mean a massive difference.  >>>   Anyone who thinks Brian Harman is the CHAMPION of all golfers for 2023 is clearly not shuffling a full deck. No 1 race or competition should be the judge of all competitors over the course of a year.  But humans have argued for ages over who is the GOAT and that too is pointless and is purely subjective. We don't need to know if Tiger was the greatest or if it was Jack.... or some of the other greats - just enjoy all of them for their amazing talent. 

Whoever said it was the world champion (as Americans calls the winners in the ”world series” etc - now that’s a joke)? It is ”Champion golfer of the year” which related to the champion of The Open Championships. I think you interpret it wrong.

And yes, links is how golf started. It is about imagination, skill, hitting the ball low, knowing where to bounce, knocking it down etc. Do you seriously believe that the luckiest player won The Open, or the best player for the week? Certainly, some golfers who are used to play on soft courses with perfect lies and greens where you can fly the ball to the pin with a 3-iron will have to adjust a bit.

Anyway - I think it was great that Harman won it. He did it in style. I would have loved more competition on the Sunday but his performance was stellar!

and the poor bugger is a journeyman who is short and bald so he deserves a little love and glory. I love all of the Majors - and if I had to put any of them at the bottom of the list it would be the PGA. But nobody cares what I think ... or what anyone on this forum thinks. I'm busy packing for a trip to Pebble Beach so I'll leave you all to it....

Edited by dickyfowler

Have fun, shoot in the 70’s and tip your caddies well 😁

20 hours ago, d**kyfowler said:

and the poor bugger is a journeyman who is short and bald so he deserves a little love and glory. I love all of the Majors - and if I had to put any of them at the bottom of the list it would be the PGA. But nobody cares what I think ... or what anyone on this forum thinks. I'm busy packing for a trip to Pebble Beach so I'll leave you all to it....

Hahahaha we need to go for a drink sometime. Love your attitude.