New set of forgiving player cb's

Godfather1

I am using a set of the titleist 822 os irons, and I am looking to upgrade to a set of quality player cb's. I am mainly looking for a japanese set after all the great reviews I see on this site. After looking around I am leaning towards the gauge design's,and the miura mt's. If anyonne had any experience with any of these iron's please chime in. Also if anyone has anything else I should look at I am open to all suggestions. I was looking at the scratch irons but I heard they are more blade like than the others. So I hope you guys understand from this what I am looking for. Thanx in advance. 8O

Tourstage 202's are real forgiving and the forged feel is better than any ive tried. you cant got wrong with these.

Godfather1

I would be more inclined in going with MP 30's instead of 27's as far as forgiveness goes. Not to take anything away from the 27's, but the 30's are going to be just as good if your looking a players club. Another option would be going with combo of 30's and 27's. A buddy of mine ( who is a pro) that I played 18 with yesterday has this setup with DG S400's. LIkes them quite a bit.

Godfather1

I would be more inclined in going with MP 30's instead of 27's as far as forgiveness goes. Not to take anything away from the 27's, but the 30's are going to be just as good if your looking a players club.  Another option would be going with combo of 30's and 27's. A buddy of mine ( who is a pro) that I played 18 with yesterday has this setup with DG S400's. LIkes them quite a bit.

I've never played either the MP30s or 27s, but I do know 2 people who got rid of their MP30s in 3 weeks or so. Found them VERY unforgiving and they're single digit cappers. 8O

trust me - the MP-30s are terrible. I played the MP-33s and found them to be actually MORE forgiving than the CB counterparts.

Here is my take - grinds are huge on irons. I am a picker & the stock grind on the MP-33s suit me, whereas the 680s would be terrible for me. Do you know what suits you? Find out - and then look at what is out there that still meets your requirements.

If you want the perfect set.... there are 3 things you can do. Happen across the perfect retail set.... or (what I did) find I retail set you like & look into getting it grinded to suit you (think JK does this) or finally... go Scratch and get it perfect 8O

I spoke to a rep at mizuno that told me the only thing the mp-27 will do is make me quit the game so to speak since they are too hard to hit.He told me too look at the forged intage instead if I want feel and forgiveness.Does this make sense,I mean I play about to a 20 hndp. but i was told that the mp-27 and the gauge design cb's would be easy enough for me to use.Since I can't demo these I am basically buying based on your feedbak and advice.I am looking for a forgiving iron that just feels sweet and soft. :sad:

You ask for a "players club" yet you don't want scratch because you think they are too blade like. See in my definition that is a players club.

So what is it that scares you about the irons? They do setup very similar to blades, but believe me they are way more forgiving.

So are you looking for something that has a thicker topline? More offset? Larger size?It sounds to me like you are looking for a GI player's club. If that is the case I would recomend looking at the TS-201 or even the TS-301. Both are great irons that have the "feel" of a great japanese club, yet forgiveness and confidence of a X-14 without looking so bulky.

I don't think many people have played the irons you mentioned. GD irons just came out and are available only in Japan. I think there's maybe 2 or 3 sets out and Chris is one of the few that's played them. He seems to like them...

Miura is an interesting one. Since Japan and NA can't seem to get their act together, these irons continue to flourish in Japan, yet over here in the US they just don't seem to have the same stuff... hope this helps...

Hey Primo,

That's my favorite avatar I've seen on this site. Nice!!! :cool:

Back to golf..

I think the MP 37s would be nice too, even if they are blades, they are modern blades. They're easier to hit than the Mp 33s.

There are lots of great Player CBs... X Blade CBs, MR 23 CBs, Gauge Design CBs, maybe you can even get some Scratch CBs if you're willing to wait, but you get to customize!

Primo,basically I am looking for a player cb because lately I have been trying several GI irons for example the titleist 804 and I am hooking the ball because of the offset.Hence I am looking for a great feeling iron with less offset,but I still need some forgiveness on those off days when I am not striking well since I am still a 20 hndp. yet I am still not looking for an oversized club I actually can't stand them.So it's not that I amlooking for offset thick topline... it's just that I believe there are harder and easier to hit player cb's for example I amsure the gd's are easier than scratch.So I was thinking that the irons I mentioned aboved would fit the description.If you know about the miura irons can you tell me about the the 3001 or 3002 and 2005 irons how they will play and if these would be right for me. :love: :-D

I'm interested in the debate so far, s I'm planning on geting some new irons too. I'm thinking Miura or Mizuno, but I thoughttheMP 37 were much more difficult to play with than the MP 33, and the MP 30 not forgiving enough too motivate the step to CB.

:-D

Toby

Well it looks like I am going to go with the miura combo(3-5 mt)(6-p cb-2005) unless someone tells me the gauge designs or the mp-27 will be easy enough for someone who plays off a 20 for the 6-p since I will probably use my old rescue clubs for the 3 & 4 until I can hit the long irons and which should I go GD or mizuno regarding ease of use . Please someone tell me which one will be easier and better feeling!!!Also which would be a better decision on my part , I mean I just don't know if I am fooling myself into thinking I can hit the mizuno or gauge irons which actually look amazing :) :-D :sad:

Well it looks like I am going to go with the miura combo(3-5 mt)(6-p cb-2005) unless someone tells me the gauge designs or the mp-27 will be easy enough for someone who plays off a 20 for the 6-p since I will probably use my old rescue clubs for the 3 & 4 until I can hit the long irons and which should I go GD or mizuno regarding ease of use . Please someone tell me which one will be easier and better feeling!!!Also which would be a better decision on my part , I mean I just don't know if I am fooling myself into thinking I can hit the mizuno or gauge irons which actually look amazing :)  :-D  :sad:

By far go with the GD Irons for several reasons:

1- They are not mass produced the head weights and every spec is on T although miura is pretty close in these regards they still don't have the same person doing every head like GD.

2- Its Japanese steel made and assembled in Japan Himeji to be exact.

3- What shaft do you want and what paint fill?

The GD Irons are very forgiving more than the Cb's MP-27s and the Miuras in my opinion. You will see when you hit them. :whistle:

How they will play compared to my old titleist , not that I want that type of club , just curious. :surprize:

To be honest I dont know, Its been a while since i have played titleist clubs.