Driver Loft Question

azzetla

Hi:

I'm a 20+ Handicap and my swing speed is about 90mph ave.

I did a launch monitor analysis a few months back and they recommended

a 10 degree loft with a reg flex shaft.

I'm in the market for an R7 Retail version

Would I be better off with a 10.5 degree Driver with regular flex

or

Can I get by with a 9.5 degree Driver with regular flex?

THX

Hi:

or

THX

I think your sources might be wrong...

A 90 MPH SS with a reg flex shaft in a 10° head will get you a carry of 187 yards (with a launch angle of 8.8) with a flight time of 4.8 seconds .

The most optimal combination for you would be a 14° head....this will produce a launch angle of 11.9 for a total carry of 209 yards and flight time of 6.3 seconds.

Remember..."Loft is your friend"

indacup; What is the optimum lof for someone with 110 MPH SS?

Hue, entering a std 198gm head, 45" shaft, std 2-piece ball (45.96 gms) with no wind, the best results I got (in terms of absolute carry) is 11° head.

Here's what the results showed:

Actual Launch angle-9.6°

Ball speed-154

Initial ball spin-3412 rpm

Final ball spin-2083 rpm

Air time-7.1 sec

Total carry- 260

• 3 weeks later...

Aren't the numbers on the driver stating loft inaccurate more often than not? I've had 4 heads checked by the club builder I use and the results amazed me...Cleveland Launcher stamped 9.5 was really about an 8.5, KZG Gemeni was stamped 12 but is really 11*, TM 510 mid stamped 10.5* is really 12* and a 983K was stamped 9.5* but was really a 9*. He's told me to never rely on whats stamped on the club itself. I found that a fascinating piece of information.

Aren't the numbers on the driver stating loft inaccurate more often than not?  I've had 4 heads checked by the club builder I use and the results amazed me...Cleveland Launcher stamped 9.5 was really about an 8.5, KZG Gemeni was stamped 12 but is really 11*, TM 510 mid stamped 10.5* is really 12* and a 983K was stamped 9.5* but was really a 9*.  He's told me to never rely on whats stamped on the club itself.  I found that a fascinating piece of information.

Another reason to buy components.

A GOOD component company has each head inspected and will come with a sticker indicating actual loft, lie information.

Thus, when you order, you can request they pull an actualy spec, not stamped.

Aren't the numbers on the driver stating loft inaccurate more often than not?  I've had 4 heads checked by the club builder I use and the results amazed me...Cleveland Launcher stamped 9.5 was really about an 8.5, KZG Gemeni was stamped 12 but is really 11*, TM 510 mid stamped 10.5* is really 12* and a 983K was stamped 9.5* but was really a 9*.  He's told me to never rely on whats stamped on the club itself.  I found that a fascinating piece of information.

Another reason to buy components.

A GOOD component company has each head inspected and will come with a sticker indicating actual loft, lie information.

Thus, when you order, you can request they pull an actualy spec, not stamped.

Makes all the brew ha ha over the loft of the driver you play mute doesn't it :wink: ..since the clubhead can be off a degree and a half or more and still pass tolerance requirements.. :)..which makes it even harder to purchase what you need..thus your point stated above..

• 1 month later...
Hi:

or

THX

If you want an R7, then follow their advise. I'd go with more loft rather than less.

• 2 years later...
You are a 20 hdcp. player and you're worried about 1 degree?

You've got to be joking right?

Everyone likes to play with the toys. Just because you can't drive a car well doesn't mean you don't want a Ferrari right? Maybe he used to be a 30 hdcp. Better equipment can help everyone and everyone should feel ok to ask questions without someone picking on them. IMHO

Everyone likes to play with the toys. Just because you can't drive a car well doesn't mean you don't want a Ferrari right? Maybe he used to be a 30 hdcp. Better equipment can help everyone and everyone should feel ok to ask questions without someone picking on them. IMHO

lol....dead right Redhaze!

There would be no point in club manufacturers spending money having big name tour players use there equipment or bundles of cash on advertising if Joe Public wasn't interested in buying there products because he believed he wasn't good enough to use them!

So what if the guy plays of 20 but wants the same gear as Sergio......good luck to him, and i hope he enjoys his 9.5/10.5 degree driver.

• 9 months later...

Generally speaking more loft is better for less clubhead speed. I recommend reading:

Search for the Perfect Golf Club by Tom Wishon, he is the expert.

Hi:

or

THX

• 4 months later...

If you catch the ball high on the face, the effective loft of the club is a lot higher than the stated loft, maybe 4 or 5 degrees due to the curvature of the face. This is why we hear all the time the sweet spot is not in the center but above the center. That is really not true but underscores that more loft is better for most players.

• 2 weeks later...

hey there are some really good points here. indacup brings some of the CSI effect to light here.... and the fact is- #'s tell a big story. my thought is that you need to consider your aspirations. Do you seek improvement or are you happy at your current level? What really needs to happen here is that you need to work on getting into shallower and more rounded patterns coming into and thru impact to consider a driver.

I think you should consider getting a 3, 5 and 7 woods spec'd out here at TSG for your long range attack sticks and hone your technique from there. Use the loft in your lofted clubs as you improve instead of selling out with too much driver loft.

Brett

I don,t know how much truth is in this so you may have to take it with a pinch of salt.

I read a report stating that pros are now able to benifet from higher loft drivers with the evolution of the graphite shafts.

i saw a video link dont hold me to this but,i think it MIGHT of been on the golfbug site? memory has failed me?

It could of been luke donald getting fitted on a launch monitor.

One thing for sure i do know is that Brett,s statment is key, its all about the angle of which you sweep the club through the ball.

G smith