The Putter Head Weight Discussion

33" = 350g

34" = 340g

35" = 330g

This is what for a long time was considered optimal balance for a putter.

What do you think about that?

Is a heavy head weight a trend? Would you go to 360 or 370g+ heads?

I've experienced heavy heads help me with normal to slower greens and lighter better with faster putts.

What say you?

I would say vice versa...

It´s easier to make a soft/smooth stroke (and avoid yips) on a faster green with a heavy head.

The same goes for strong wind.

Lighter head for slower greens when you have to swing the putter to get somewhere.

But what would I know...

Been playing since 1974

Keep on putting :tsg_smiley_putter2:.

PS. 370g+ heads all days in a week

Edited by Leffe

I have to side with the OP's formula. Light heads transfer less energy to the ball, with a similar stroke. On fast greens, you don't have to worry about sledge hammering a putt past the hole due to a heavy head.

On slow greens, you have to really hit a light putter that can sometimes cause a player to change his stroke or get wristy.
But, like the second poster also noted, what do I know? Been playing since '71 and building/re-building since '97.

I have learned that every player has a formula that works for them. Anyone who forces "standards" is shooting themselves in the foot, when people figure out how personalized putters should be.

LaMont in AZ

lighter shorter clubs for faster greens is the way i go for me.

i go . heavier .longer for when its miost or wet.

ive found i like 360 gram heads best, and change the shaft legnth to compensate a bit

if its slow ill tkae out a longer one 35-36-40 inch maybe.

if its lightning ill got 33-31

there is something to se said for a cosistant head weight.

im in the process of swapping all my shafts out for those mamiya FF shafts and just warying the lengths they play

,they are light but theres something very particluar about them that i love.

also a counter balanced grip can do wonders for a putter that wont " work" properly!!!!

winn makes a good un

thoughts??

360g head weight at 33.5" with a standard sized cabretta Gripmaster is my sweet spot. Fast or slow greens...doesn't matter. My old school all wrist putting stroke seems to allow me to easily adjust for speed.

355-360 at 34inches is my sweet spot. Use different milling patterns on the face based on speed of greens. Faster greens more aggressive mill, slow greens very little milling.

errr actually ash id not thought about that.

thats prob one good reason why my betti is always short on slow greens...

Yep, I've noticed a deep milling can take a foot off of a 12-15ft putt with the same stroke...

Guys i have been working with different milling patterns to find the one that works best under each condition. My home track has crazy fast greens. I found the PZ milling from golds works great here, the Machine putter milling also works well

When i play my brothers home course the greens are slower i use a Lajosi with no milling on it. This plan works well for me and has more effect on the roll then the overall weight of the club.

heavier head on slower greens

lighter head on faster greens

heavier head for average skill players

lighter for more precise or skilled players

This is generalizing it but we noticed that mid to high cappers have more 2 putts with heavier heads.

In regards to face milling, PZ or Next Gen PZ actually have less distance per putt than a perfectly flat non milled face or even lightly milled face but putting is not about the most distance it's about visuals, roll, feel.

heavier head on slower greens

lighter head on faster greens

heavier head for average skill players

lighter for more precise or skilled players

This is generalizing it but we noticed that mid to high cappers have more 2 putts with heavier heads.

In regards to face milling, PZ or Next Gen PZ actually have less distance per putt than a perfectly flat non milled face or even lightly milled face but putting is not about the most distance it's about visuals, roll, feel.

Chris

You are correct putting is about a lot of different factors coming together in harmony.

If all factors being equal then milling does effect the roll of the ball. Since milled faces grab the ball at the moment of impact the ball doesn't jump off the face but rather being its roll down the line. This is perceived as slower pace. Flat or non-milled faces cause the ball to jump at impact and thus have greater initial acceleration which is perceived as faster pace.

I am considered a more than good putter in our little circle of golf players and feel that my Ketch has helped me make more 6' putts than ever before. I use a heavy putter at 388 gms, but one that feels lighter due to being counter-balanced. This is my second counter-balanced putter and at the moment it is my preferred combination.

For Zen users or blade putters ever notice how your more precise or dialed in with it? They are very light weight usually 330g and like a muscle back you have to really focus and zero in on what your doing thus why we tend to make better strokes with them similar how to we are more focused when hitting blades.

For Zen users or blade putters ever notice how your more precise or dialed in with it? They are very light weight usually 330g and like a muscle back you have to really focus and zero in on what your doing thus why we tend to make better strokes with them similar how to we are more focused when hitting blades.

I thought the Zen head was pretty heavy at 360+ g?? I have a Yamada Razor that is 360+ g as well and both do really require more concentration but i definitely get the pacing better on medium to short putts.

I thought the Zen head was pretty heavy at 360+ g?? I have a Yamada Razor that is 360+ g as well and both do really require more concentration but i definitely get the pacing better on medium to short putts.

D

I think the Zen is on the lighter side. I added weight via Gold's to bring up the weight.

330g for the Zen does not sound right. Mine felt perfect right out of the box and I think I would have fits with mine if it weighed that little. When Craig had his Zen at Gold's, it's stock weight was recorded at 357g before modifications.

330-340 @ 34" for me......I was brought up in the PiNG era..........350 always makes me conscious of the weight........ Irrespective of green speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've noticed regarding headweight (and swingweight) is that the putter style can alter my perception of headweight. For example a heel shafted blade putter feels heavier than a plumber's neck putter, which in turn feels heavier than a center shafted putter. However, in reality the center shafted is actually the heaviest followed by the plumbers neck, and the heel shafted is the lightest.

I like a heavier feel. I'm a putter novice and just pick up a putter and try it, if the head is nice and heavy feel-wise I get along with it. The typical Anser feels like there is "no" head for me, makes me too fast and even jerky. A heavier Anser style is something to try..I've been using thr Ben Hogan by Betti "baby ben" and the Rife 2-bar blade for many years. I also like the shaft to be at least 34,preferrably 35. Again, thr longer length makes the head feel heavier of course

330-340 @ 34" for me......I was brought up in the PiNG era..........350 always makes me conscious of the weight........ Irrespective of green speed.

I did the 330g weight the other day ( GF mallet ) center shaft on slick greens and putted my best in many months. I then tried my custom 2-ball CS that is 370g, while I like the feel of the weight better I didn't putt as well.

It could be that sometimes what feels better doesn't mean it plays better.