nobmontana

Why do I do this? .... :) Some PRGR RS & RS-F driver heads arriving soon.

I do this in the Winter months were I have minimal golf play time. This time around I had some wisdom tooth extraction done last week so I can't play for the next couple of weeks.   (so the doctor says)     Anyway, "out of pure boredom.. "   I picked up some previous Gen PRGR RS Drivers to try out later this winter. 

While I was surfing on the auction sites,  I found an original 2016 RS-F 9.5  (now deemed illegal by the R&A as many of you know)  that was in mint condition so I could not resist.  How often do you see a driver that a JDM brand released as "conforming" but later got caught as being "over the limit?"    It's so rare.... :)   This is the one with the original silver and black graphics that PRGR recalled and replaced for most customers.  I'm sure they've tried their best to retrieve all that was sold on the market but people like me who's obsessed with rare golf clubs probably had to keep the originals just for the sake of its rarity.  Even after the 2017 and 2018 model release,  PRGR fanatics in Japan still talk about how the original RS-F was the most iconic and legendary in terms of fast ball speeds and a stand out for "Wow" factor among modern JDM drivers.  PGA Tour Pro Satoshi Kodaira as of early 2019 was still bagging the 2016 RS-F prototype driver.   This will be added to my collection of clubs that I likely won't use.      

Since won't be gaming the 2016 RS-F...  I decided to pick up a couple of the 2017 model heads which seemed more practical and playable.    Found a 2017 RS-F 9.5 and a 2017 RS 10.5  heads only.  The 10.5 RS may be a bit too high launching for me but I wanted to try. The 2017 RS and RS-F are supposedly lower launching compared to the 2018 version. 

While I have tried the 2017 RS and RS-F drivers in the past, I have never gamed them for extended period of time. This would be a good opportunity to experience how good they really are.   If I decide to bag these drivers, I may have to pursue an all PRGR bag....   Stay tuned. 

nobs I found htose heads to be low, the stock diamana blue 60s in them didn't help get the ball airborn much at all. they were long al right.

the pro  black one was a beauty but it wasn't that easy to hit, not overly forgiving.

cant wait to hear ur thoughts on them, I passed THEM OVER IN FAVOUR  OF THE  older egg models   I already have.

49 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Should have let me know, I've got a pristine 2016 version 

I can't read minds you know....  🙂    If I like them I might reach out to you.  

Your's is a 2016 non conforming 9.5 RS-F ?     

17 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

I can't read minds you know....  🙂    If I like them I might reach out to you.  

Your's is a 2016 non conforming 9.5 RS-F ?     

It is, yes, silver and black instead of the black replacement. It's not going anywhere so don't feel in a rush. 

This is getting crazy... found myself another 2016 RS-F 10.5 loft but this time looks to be a true Prototype ... All black like the replacements. 

And it's definitely a RS-F from the weight config. But the logo only says "RS" (missing an "F")  and some code in place of a serial number on the hosel.

They look to be the same as some pre-production 2016 Prototype units based on pictures I've found online.    Will post pics once I have it.  

While my PRGR RS urge is going strong....  I looked at possibly trying a Tour AD QuattroTech shaft that PRGR Staff player Kodaira has been using all his career.  

But it looks like the shaft is more of a mid-low kick shaft with very stiff butt section.    Well that is opposite to what I usually use.... so maybe not. 

haha..  u looked at the pt shaft from GD ?
 that is such a medium shaft.  absolutely nothing  i can find about it that i dont enjoy. its a little  bit  older now,  as well,  shingo was using it  for.a.while.  and another  one is then2016 quadra  ptv-nx  got that in my astro tour and I cant get it out of the bag~ ! . 

20200108_095441.jpg

Edited by supo

7 hours ago, nobmontana said:

While my PRGR RS urge is going strong....  I looked at possibly trying a Tour AD QuattroTech shaft that PRGR Staff player Kodaira has been using all his career.  

But it looks like the shaft is more of a mid-low kick shaft with very stiff butt section.    Well that is opposite to what I usually use.... so maybe not. 

The Tour AD QuattroTech was a lower kick point shaft and I believe Matt Kuchar used it for a while some time back.  The PT shaft the other poster mentioned was more of a mid launch, mid kick shaft that was very popular in Japan but I don't believe made it to the US.  I have one in an OnOff 358 driver and it's a good performer.

Ended up with the following. 
2017 RS-F 9.5 , 2017 RS 10.5 ,  2018 RS-F 10.5 

Found some very reasonably priced new old stock 2nd Gen Diamanas.  
Ahina, Kaili and Ilima all in 70 S.  
build them to 45.5. 
I think these look so much better than the newer gen shafts.  The ion finishes are so nice. 
Will take em out to the range next weekend. 
(Still recovering from the oral surgery)  

photos pllssssss!!

Here are pics of the new builds. 

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

Then I have this sort of special head that is actually a rare find. 

Can someone tell me what's different about this head? 

Very much resembles the replacement to the original non compliant RS-F heads doesn't it?  

Answer in my next post.   🙂

IMG_2776.thumb.jpg.6d7a5197994da7bbe80d9697c0f620e0.jpg

IMG_2779.thumb.jpg.12fcc1815e74f300d60bdba280e08522.jpgIMG_2777.thumb.jpg.7ef886a13be90f7ac203343f848bdbc6.jpgIMG_2778.thumb.jpg.98f8b74b19bf91a3405d0a566fcef48c.jpg

Oh wowzers. Would love to tests those out nob. Loving the older Diamana's too. Kaili is one of my all time favourite shafts.

Difference is that it says RS on the sole but RSf on the face.

Edited by Ian-500

So detail oriented:).    But yes you are correct!! 
also no retail serial number on the hosel end of the head.  
Though I have no way to validate,  I believe this head is a Tour Issued true “prototype” intended for guys like Satoshi Kodaira. 
look up Satoshi Kodaira’s “What’s in the bag”  and you will see his all black Prototype also missing an F on the sole!    
It would also be interesting to know if this head was made before or after the HiCOR issue was found on their 1st gen retail RSF models.