OG looking for a new driver build

chiromikey

Family came and the golf game (as well as the gym) got put on the shelf for the last 5 years.  I no longer have the swing or the strength to play my favorite monster builds, a heavily weighted jBeam Bullet or 435 on my custom Seven Dreamers.  I really need to build something with a normal swingweight instead of F0, lol.  I've moved up a tee box and am bouncing drives into bunkers that I used to fly over from the tips so my goal is to find as much extra distance as possible with my new gramps like swing speed (probably 95mph range)

If any of the other OG's remembers me, I still play a hard draw with misses to the left.  So I need something that isn't draw biased like the majority of JDM drivers. I've narrowed my interest to 4 heads so far, the jBeam KZ-5 (because I love jBeam heads), the Jigen eRook II, the Geotech GT 9, and Progress BB6.

As far as the shaft, I also need something lighter so was thinking something in the 50-60g range.  I'm very interested in trying the Loop or Zinger shafts but was also recommended to try the Vanquish.

Looking forward to any input and thanks!

Edited by chiromikey
edited to add the Progress BB6

Long time no see. Do you still have the Tourstage T fairway?

The Vanquish looks good, and maybe a Diamana GT too.

Hey buddy!

I actually have two of them! After I cracked the face on my original 435 I bought back-ups for all my favorites!

I’ll have a look at the Diamana, thanks!

7 minutes ago, chiromikey said:

Hey buddy!

I actually have two of them! After I cracked the face on my original 435 I bought back-ups for all my favorites!

I’ll have a look at the Diamana, thanks!

I have an older jBEAM driver on it's way from Japan (fingers crossed). I never got along with the OG 435, but liked the 435r, 535 and zy-11.

17 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

I have an older jBEAM driver on its way from Japan (fingers crossed). I never got along with the OG 435, but liked the 435r, 535 and zy-11.

I didn’t fall in love with the 435 until I stuffed the head. After that the feel and sound matched the performance and I was head over heels. Looking forward to hearing about your next jBeam!

16 minutes ago, chiromikey said:

I didn’t fall in love with the 435 until I stuffed the head. After that the feel and sound matched the performance and I was head over heels. Looking forward to hearing about your next jBeam!

When it turns up I'll do a what's in the back update 🙂

Well....

B

cho oHisahi buri desu.

My head's are STILL beam 435 for exactly what u want.

But they are. Very low launching so those bunkers. U mention will be. In play.

Astro tour v2 is. Right. Up ur alley.

Changebale. Weights thing. Is a 🔨.

The astro v3 is very pear shaped and. One. Of. My all time best heads to work the ball.

As much as the new stuff comes. Out. I ognor. Just as. Quick  it' aint better.. just get a head shape u like nothing new is. Going any further than what I t was. Since. 2011.

Still can't think of a better. High launch shaft than the diamama  ilima.

Just put one back in this week .

Gien up trying other shafts diamama for. Me. Cover s all bases.

The diamama X 2017 in 60s. Or 50x will make. U smile.

I'll think about others.

Oh labo tataki green. Brings rain. IF. U can find one anywhere.

Ventus. I tried and almost  washed. My hands. After it.

Gd pt6 series...proper   shaft. Good. Price.

I'll keep thinking...,

Hmmm....so maybe take some weight out of one of my 435s and reshaft it to something in the 50-60g area with a higher launch?  You think my new geriatric swing speed could still make that head work?

I'm not trying to work the ball anymore, at least not yet...just need something straight and as long as possible.  I'm not a fan of hitting 5 and 6 irons into greens that used to take 8 or 9 irons.

I agree with Sup, find a head you like and maybe a shaft that works, try some newer stuff and

you’ll eventually realise there is nothing that’s going to make you a better player.  I’m still playing an Epon AF102 

head with an original crazy longest heard shaft, can’t find anything better, maybe it’s just familiarity.

but I keep looking…….

I know it’s not the equipment that will make me a better player or get me back to a scratch handicap but I don’t have the time to devote to get back there. I also know that I simply don’t have the strength anymore to swing a XX shaft or produce enough swing speed to make a low loft and low spinning head like the 435 or Bullet work for me. So I’m looking for new equipment to fit my game, not fix it.

Edited by chiromikey

I’m in the exact same spot Mikey. I swing 98-102, down from 110-112 with age. Strong draw and my miss is to the left. I’ve played AAA and Loop and before then Diamana X 70. I just bought a Baldo 438H 9.5 and yesterday bought a Vanquish 5x for it. It was that or a Tensei 50x but I think that the Vanquish will be a bit more active and better for me. Will try a 44.5-44.75” build to have speed from the lower weight and control by not going 45.5”.

30 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

I’m in the exact same spot Mikey. I swing 98-102, down from 110-112 with age. Strong draw and my miss is to the left. I’ve played AAA and Loop and before then Diamana X 70. I just bought a Baldo 438H 9.5 and yesterday bought a Vanquish 5x for it. It was that or a Tensei 50x but I think that the Vanquish will be a bit more active and better for me. Will try a 44.5-44.75” build to have speed from the lower weight and control by not going 45.5”.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Vanquish!

5 minutes ago, chiromikey said:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Vanquish!

We have a foot of snow and -6 so might take a while.. 

1 hour ago, bngolfer said:

We have a foot of snow and -6 so might take a while.. 

I guess I may end up letting you know then lol

😁

I like the numbers and will probably get an orange Tensei 1K and perhaps one of the Diamanas in 50x to try different shafts and see what the do for me. Liggter weight is likely the way to go for us oldies and weakies though.

535 premium black with TRPX El Dorado in sx flex.

IMG20230328162425.thumb.jpg.ece627060821a59a03e43f034d9cdc18.jpg

IMG20230328162435.thumb.jpg.267811662da895e05821bd3fe8fa5174.jpg

IMG20230328162453.thumb.jpg.452210491839eeb2a1d9580c4cd1feb9.jpg

yea  Mikey , id think that idea  will work  for ur swing ,  after all , its been   been cut on that head,  im still playing my  jbeams @ 9.5*  with  a diamana stinger 70x,   a 71s  stinger proto, and diamana blue  73s  for home links  and yes really  they are all   prob too low   launch for most tracks  for sure , but for when i play them they are irreplacable dont get as much distance as  a few yrs back  but  they  are hard to miss a fairway  with  , the head jsut looks  so ......... welcoming , ive been playing  them for  gorr knows how long now and  they  just suit, i think u rem how many drivers   i used to  have,  well now im down to about    maybe 20  ish  and most are same head shape  with  diff shafts for diff  conds  / courses.

3 jbeam 435s - stinger 70s   71  proto s  blue 73s

4 astro tour v3- quadra tp-x 70s , diamana X 70x , diamana ilima  70s, 
2 astro tour  v2 -  diamana fubuki aplha  70s,  graph design   PT 6x 
syard v t388- diamana X 70s

epon 101, A-jappa, callaway erc3 , onoff type s ,  very simiar shaped heads

3 kamui tp 07s  - 7 dreamers, diamana stinger  proto 71x , diamana X  60x ( cud be my best driver) 

2 prgr eggs, labo spec tataki blue 70s ,  diamana  alislei 83s

somehow   i manage to  play them all over  a year but i dont play comp here so i bag 2 drivers per round  and hit SO many  drives ,   for me its  worth it and the  thing is when i DO play comps the 435s  are  pretty clsoe to  the first one grabbed    and if its windy there aint  nothing else  i go for,  maybe the   egg  7  9*  that head is still    prob my fave looking head just putting a new  diamaa n ilima in it , the 83s  aliislei  had become a  tough t ask master.................

Ive tried a few new drivers, tm sim 2, ping g425  (  ,i  actually   liked  that  head shape but oh my god the sound of it !!!!!!!!!! ) , mizuno somethin or other   but none of them outperformed    if at all matched   what i have  and for whats supposed to  be 10+ yrs of innovation  design and materials +   price..........   whats    the point? 

yea  if  i cud ever  get over that hideous thud of the ping i  cud game that, eps as it offers a differnt  trianalge back  MASSSIVE head shape    inert  head shape  i dont have.

but that wud mean  putting one of my better shafts in  that nad thats NOT  ever gonna  happen!

you know waht when i think aboiut it

the   EPON 101 ,  is a tough head to beat as a day in out all rounder ...............................,

20230329_142836.jpg

20230329_142553.jpg

Edited by supo

23 hours ago, Ian-500 said:
9 hours ago, supo said:

yea  Mikey , id think that idea  will work  for ur swing ,  after all , its been   been cut on that head,  im still playing my  jbeams @ 9.5*  with  a diamana stinger 70x,   a 71s  stinger proto, and diamana blue  73s  for home links  and yes really  they are all   prob too low   launch for most tracks  for sure , but for when i play them they are irreplacable dont get as much distance as  a few yrs back  but  they  are hard to miss a fairway  with  , the head jsut looks  so ......... welcoming , ive been playing  them for  gorr knows how long now and  they  just suit, i think u rem how many drivers   i used to  have,  well now im down to about    maybe 20  ish  and most are same head shape  with  diff shafts for diff  conds  / courses.

3 jbeam 435s - stinger 70s   71  proto s  blue 73s

4 astro tour v3- quadra tp-x 70s , diamana X 70x , diamana ilima  70s, 
2 astro tour  v2 -  diamana fubuki aplha  70s,  graph design   PT 6x 
syard v t388- diamana X 70s

epon 101, A-jappa, callaway erc3 , onoff type s ,  very simiar shaped heads

3 kamui tp 07s  - 7 dreamers, diamana stinger  proto 71x , diamana X  60x ( cud be my best driver) 

2 prgr eggs, labo spec tataki blue 70s ,  diamana  alislei 83s

somehow   i manage to  play them all over  a year but i dont play comp here so i bag 2 drivers per round  and hit SO many  drives ,   for me its  worth it and the  thing is when i DO play comps the 435s  are  pretty clsoe to  the first one grabbed    and if its windy there aint  nothing else  i go for,  maybe the   egg  7  9*  that head is still    prob my fave looking head just putting a new  diamaa n ilima in it , the 83s  aliislei  had become a  tough t ask master.................

Ive tried a few new drivers, tm sim 2, ping g425  (  ,i  actually   liked  that  head shape but oh my god the sound of it !!!!!!!!!! ) , mizuno somethin or other   but none of them outperformed    if at all matched   what i have  and for whats supposed to  be 10+ yrs of innovation  design and materials +   price..........   whats    the point? 

yea  if  i cud ever  get over that hideous thud of the ping i  cud game that, eps as it offers a differnt  trianalge back  MASSSIVE head shape    inert  head shape  i dont have.

but that wud mean  putting one of my better shafts in  that nad thats NOT  ever gonna  happen!

you know waht when i think aboiut it

the   EPON 101 ,  is a tough head to beat as a day in out all rounder ...............................,

20230329_142836.jpg

20230329_142553.jpg

love it Stew, thanks!!

I’m going to move my Seven Dreamers out of the Bullet and into one of my 435s with some weight removed and see how that goes.

For s**ts and giggles I’ve been thinking about building a non conforming driver to get me excited about getting back into not only playing but the silly game club hoeing.  Anything stand out to you in those heads?

• 2 weeks later...

Totally related ...

New Jbeam ZY-Max + a Syncagraphite Zinger 

Have been with one for a month or two and brings back the plesure of competing with younger beings ...

Dooood . I just. Sold. A   Hi cor. Driver a week ago.

Rc 9* beast.

Im waiting. On the 11* to move,it's.pending . If that don't go I'll give. U a heads. Up.

Id.  Opt. For a 7d. In a 10- 11*  kamui head

I had a jBeam 435 Black and this old fav, the Crazy labeled version. I removed the stuffing from it, pulled the Seven Dreamers out of the Bullet, and reshafted it into the Crazy. I put the extra heavy weight in the toe and super light weight in the heel to promote a straighter/higher ball flight. It still swingweighted at E6 lol but felt a ton lighter. I’ll have to get used to the stock hollow sound but as always it’s a beast. Nice arching draw with tons of roll. Definitely gained control as well as 30+ yards over the Bullet. This head just sets up so nicely and familiar. I still want to build something new just to get my juices flowing but this combo just can’t be beat for me. 

190B97E6-56AE-49B3-AB77-E2986A898FE8.jpeg

76F8AFCC-12D5-4CE0-A6E0-5951DEDAB80F.jpeg

On 4/7/2023 at 5:23 AM, mauvanilla said:

Totally related ...

New Jbeam ZY-Max + a Syncagraphite Zinger 

Have been with one for a month or two and brings back the plesure of competing with younger beings ...

I rediscovered my tried and true love but I still think I’m going to build something with this shaft.

Its funny how theres always   the   one that makes u feel at home.

no matter how many  i  build,  the   Beam 435/stinger 70x .  @.   9.5*  combo ive had for 10 ish  years is Still  the club i  love to take out   the most , prob bec  it was the club i used in comps here when i was swinging it  harder  and  did damn  well with  in general.

That thing won me a  whole bunch of  emperors heads more pfthen than not   in nassau  back i n the  heady days ,  i dont game it alot these days  but when i  do  i remember  its nuances  instantly , its got a small  but heavy  draw tendency i guess ebc of the weight allignment i  put in i cant remember now  but i have confidence  to aim it   mid right and  wont loose it there  .

Ive even tried to replicate  it with a black beam, 70s  s stinger, same specs  but its  just not   quite the same.  for sure the  black  beamer SHUD  be better sutied now  but  i dunno......

also , have  conicindentally hit my 2 longest ever drives with it  as well so its got a VERY  special place.

20220625_225556.jpg

20220625_225624.jpg

Edited by supo

I didn’t think there were any actual specific differences were between the black and the regular but I seem to hit the regular one better. Is the face material different?

Ironically, mine are all 9.5° as well.

I’ve won several long drive contests with the 435 as well as member tourneys and local events. I’ve hit some drives just as long with others like the Ryoma V-Spec but not as consistently. Maybe I should buy just another one of these for that Stinger shaft…?

Edited by chiromikey

cant fault that , expect LOW and piercing ,  that stigner  shaft is  like a knuckle ball if u dont generate enough    oomph.

im  at 46.8mps   these days  and  im just at the level to feel it................,   sort of  ignite