Japan Model Taylormade R9 Driver

gocchin

Sorry I've been a bit slow on this one, it was actually announced a couple of weeks ago but just to confirm, yes the R9 launch will include a Japan only model, the R9 Max at 460cc. the 460 has a single weight port and deeper lower CG and of course bigger head size, resulting in more forgiveness and higher launch than the standard R9.

The Japanese market R9 in addition to the Motore which is the stock shaft, will be available with the Motore F1, Motore Speeder, Diamana Kai'li, Tour AD EV-6 all directly from TM Japan featuring Flight Control Technology.

The R9 Max from Japan will also be more adjustable than the standard US R9. The US R9 has a 40 yard adjustable spread (30 yards left and 10 yards right) while the Japanese model Max features 60 yards (40 yards left and 20 yards right). Loft can also be adjusted by 1.5* and face angle by 3*.

post-8383-1236392244.jpg

How much and when? Any more info on the Motore Speeder shafts?

I think the R9 officially went on sale this last Tuesday? If it wasn't Tuesday it was Wednesday, anyway I'm thinking there are some pretty upset people reading this right now.... it's like the guy who buys the newest latest and greatest computer and they have a new one that's even better for sale before he even gets it home.

If I owned one of these I'd end up in a straight jacket by the time I moved this thing around trying to figure the perfect setting.. only to have my swing be just a hair different the next day and wonder if it was in the optimal position... I'm going crazy just thinking about it.

I think I will get one just because as idrive said it seems like something us golf crazy ones will enjoy tinkering with.

What does the R9 go for in the US? As always Japanese pricing will be higher... I am getting pricing from the TM rep now. Damn the strong yen and Japanese market! (^_^)

Sells for $399.99. I like the idea of one with the Motore Speeder. That's a shaft which appears to fit me quite well. All that adjustable might be just enough to send a slightly neurotic individual completely over the edge. The problem would never be my swing, it would be the way the club is set up. I might never make it off the range some days. Next thing I'd be asking for an adjustable tee time to compensate for all the preparation time.

The TP w/ upgraded shafts goes for $499.99. I am still always wary that the USDM upgrade shafts are the "real deal."

Do the upgrade shafts in the R9 max come in the white/red paint scheme, like the EV and Kai'li?

Golftown in Toronto had it out since last Tuesday or Wednesday for cad499 which is usd250 ( :tsg_smilie_surprise: just kidding) and FW at cad279. I do not think the TP model would be out in Canada for awhile.

The TP w/ upgraded shafts goes for $499.99. I am still always wary that the USDM upgrade shafts are the "real deal."

Do the upgrade shafts in the R9 max come in the white/red paint scheme, like the EV and Kai'li?

The Japanese upgrades are the real shafts not the white/red paint scheme like you see in the pics in the first post.

MSRP for the R9 Max is close to 600.00, so as I suspected the price in Japan does reflect typcial Japanese market pricing.

We will try our best to price it better than that of course. (^_^)

That still is a darn good price considering you are getting top of the line upgrade shafts.

The shafts are actually upgrades that push the price over 800.00!

Correct T, USDM is 399 for the reg and the TP is 499. Only difference is the shaft. JDM stuff will always cost more.

I assume Taylormade will offer shaft upgrades as well; since you can already remove the complete shaft on the R9, all you need is the shaft like the imix. Question is... will taylormade sell those shafts off the rack and when?

We got um in this past week too, I've been hitting the R9 since tuesday. I like the 2* open face you can do plus put all the weight on the toe for a fade CG. Stock shaft does feel kinda week like all the REAX shafts, but I can still see good yardage.(more carry than the superquad tp) Around the same distance as my tour burner tp.

I hope TM releases the shafts.... soon...

Gocchin, how much will a R9 Max with a Motore F1 65J cost?

Mike

Mike,

TM Japan has set the suggested retail for the R9 Max as follows (US Approx):

Stock Motore 600.00

Motore F1 TP 65J 695.00

Motore Speeder, Tour AD EV, Diamana Kai'li 840.00

We should have them in the pro shop this coming week for pre order at prices below that for sure.

Yesterday Mitsuka Yoko won the Daiken Open in Okinawa playing the R9 with FCT on the JLPGA. She was also playing the new TP Forged... look very hot!

post-8383-1236583985.jpg

I've looked on the TM us site and noticed that the head size also is different for all 3 lofts.

10.5 = 422cc

9.5 = 420cc

8.5 = 418cc

Not that I can tell the difference, but what does this change in loft and size do?

Does anyone know if the R9's that are being used on the U.S Tour and JPGA Tour even have the imix?

I'd hope that TM does sell the aftermarket shafts also other shafts like the callaway "imix". IMO it wouldn't make sense for me to buy an entirely new driver just to get the TP shaft or the "upgraded shaft" ie the kai'li or the speeder for that FCT function.

If I were to p/u the JDM R9 MAX, will the head be interchangeable w/the USDM shafts?

I assume that the extra adjustments on the JDM version come from the shaft tip as it would have the same settings w/a greater loft or lie adjustment. I say this because its the shaft's tip that makes the FCT not the head. (Unless TM grooves the slots different on all the models of the shafts, I assume they will be universal)

Am I wrong to assume this ?

Edited by xchangmanx

T,

I'd have to assume that the shafts would work on the USDM heads as well. They are exactly the same tech and it would be dumb of TM if they didn't.

As suspected the prices I mentioned above are the set msrp's by TM Japan. We've added ours to the pro shop for pre order:

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/proshop/Drivers/c4/index.html

was looking on a US site and they were selling them with Matrik shafts.

Will the R9 your selling allow an upgrade to a Martix shaft and if so .... how much

Hey T,

My real question is will you guys sell the Shafts alone? Say I wanted to buy the GD shaft the speeder shaft and the diamana, would we be able to do that?

T

was looking on a US site and they were selling them with Matrik shafts.

Will the R9 your selling allow an upgrade to a Martix shaft and if so .... how much

The matrix shafts they are selling are the red and yellow Taylormade versions while the upgrade shafts in Japan are the real deal aftermarket shaft. At the moment only the Kaili, Speeder and EV are available as upgrades.

Gocchin,

Can you guys do the R9 Max with an GD EV-5 stiff shaft?

Off the bat the EV-5 is not offered but most likely will be down the road.

Hey T,

My real question is will you guys sell the Shafts alone? Say I wanted to buy the GD shaft the speeder shaft and the diamana, would we be able to do that?

T

I would have to say down the road yes they will sell the shafts, but now word on that yet.