PRGR EGG Spoon PX-03 Review

gocchin

eggspoonslide.jpg

spoonme.jpg

Living in Japan, I follow the Japanese tour even closer than I do the PGA tour. All the websites here and magazines cover pro players and the gear they use extensively. One thing I noticed at the beginning of the season was the number of pro players on the JPGA carrying the PRGR Egg Spoon PX-03. Top players including Hideto Tanihara and Shingo Katayama use the Spoon as their choice 3 wood. This peaked my curiousity and being a big fan of PRGR or Pro Gear as it is known here in Japan (Pro Gear is the golf wing of Yokohama Rubber Industries), I decided to pick up a Spoon for my bag around 2 months ago.

So after two months of play, I'm ready to report back on this interesting fairway wood. The EGG Spoon was originally released last year with 13, 15 and 17* lofts. It became so popular in Japan that this year, PRGR expanded the line to include the EGG Fairway Woods which included 5, 7 and 9 woods. Both Tanihara and Katayama use the PX-03 as a 15* 3 wood but many Japanese amateurs who struggle with the driver have picked up the 13* strong 3 wood to even replace their driver off the tee. I typically play a 4 and 7 wood in the bag along with a higher lofted driver so I grabbed the Spoon with a 17* loft.

eggspoon11.jpg

The EGG Spoon PX-03 is a mid sized fairway wood with all lofts being 165cc in size. The head however looks bigger because of its shape and design. It has a similar concept to the Cleveland HiBore. While the crown and back isn not exactly "scooped out" ala HiBore, the head is tapered towards the back stretching the head from front to back and pushing CG deeper in the head. It does have an aligbment mark on the top, a big red EGG like dot, that I am not a fan of but I quickly got used to and forgot was there. The face is on the shallow side, while not ultra shallow like many woods today, I would call it mid shallow which makes it easy to hit the sweet spot which is higher on the face.

Design aside, what really sets the Spoon PX-03 apart from other fairway woods is the materials it uses. The Spoon has a Ti-6AL-4V Titanium Crown and Face laser welded to a SUS630 Stainless Steel sole plate. With the Crown and Face being light weight Titanium, this allows PRGR to use a heavier SUS630 Sole to again bring CG deep in the club. Also while its common to see Ti faces in fairway woods these days, they are typically paired with SUS630 bodies meaning both the sole and crown are SUS630.

What the combination Ti Crown and Face does is create driver like performance. I must admit, when I first got the EGG Spoon the sound and feel took getting used to. It does not sound or feel like the typical fairway wood. Impact is more of a solid "THWOCK" unlike some woods today that emanate a higher pitched metallic "TINK". I realized after a while that the Spoon sounded and felt like older sub 400cc drivers. In other words a very solid confident feel which many players crave for.

Performance wise, this is a mini driver. Distance for fairway wood is above average. Even with the deep CG, trajectory is piercing, starting low and slowly climbing, peaking then still coming down with roll. The low spin Spoon is made to go far. It's performance makes it the go to club for reaching par 5's in 2 shots. The square angled face produces very straight shots (fade and draw at command) and I found that I could almost equal my driver distance on several occasions!

One thing some people may not like and some may love, is the overall weight of this club. The Spoon is light, which again gives the impression that it was meant to be a mini driver. The heaviest 13* barely breaks 310g on the scale which is the equivalent of some drivers today. This light weight really contributes to distance. Lately I have been experimenting with light weight clubs and found that they do in fact allow average golfers with very average swing speeds like myself to swing faster and hit longer. I'll be honest here that sometimes on a hot summer day, by the 15th hole, my clubs feel heavy and I wish they were lighter. The EGG does the trick and paired with the stock PRGR EGG graphite, the Spoon is a very controllable distance performer.

As for the stock shaft, it is available with M-35 (80mph), M-37, M-40 and M-43 which in PRGR's ratings mean 43m/s or just under 100mph for the stiffest stock shaft. PRGR originally released the club with only these stock shafts available but found that better and faster swinging players were yearning to play this club so the EGG Spoon is now available with all the top shafts directly from PRGR.

I rely on my PRGR 7 wood for accuracy and I want a stronger wood for distance. The Spoon fits that bill perfectly and I have grown to really like the feel and sound. I average around 230y with my driver and last week I hit a shot from the fairway with my Spoon that traveled nearly 230y as well. Needless to say I was very happy and this club will stay in the bag for quite a long time coming. Looking for a mini rocket launcher behind your driver? The PRGR EGG Spoon PX-03 is ready for take off!

via golftoimpress.com

Wow, what a write up T.

If this doesn't make someone want one nothing will.

Hmmmmm what loft to get....

I have been thinking about this club for a while and the review was the final push I needed. So, I just ordered a 15 degree with GD EV-7.

Really looking forward to getting this club.

Aloha

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

Well.... I got a 15* and had Goodsie install a GD MD6 QT shaft.

This thing is everything Gocchin says it is, a mini rocket launcher.

Off the tee it is maybe 10-15 yards behind my Driver. I hit one today on the last hole that was as long as I'd ever hit a Drive on that hole before which is probably 30-40 times.

Knocked out the Fourteen SF308 out of my bag with ease.

J, the feel is interesting isn't it? It's not metallic or a tink sound like most FW's. Very solid.

Very Solid!!!

First time I hit it I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. A different sound and feel. When I got up to my ball I realized I was further down the fairway (par 5) than I had been in a long time.

I would caution the "hard hitters" that the stock shaft is probably not stiff enough for you unless you have an extremely smooth swing.

But this baby is everything in Gocchins review he said it is.

It's interesting when PRGR first released this EGG Spoon it only came with shafts up to M-43 which is like 97mph. But suddenly low handicappers, fast and hard swingers as well as pros wanted it so thats why they offer it with upgrade shafts now. ]

Shingo Katayama swears by this Egg Spoon!

• 1 month later...

I had three EGGs arrive today. 15 degree EGG spoon and 5 and 9 EGG. Took off work early to try them out on the course. Course was pretty empty and was able to go out hit them a bunch of times.

15 degree EGG Spoon - Finally found a three wood that I could hit easily off the deck and also performed very well off the tee. Previously had a 13 degree EGG Spoon that was great of the tee, but didn't have the swing speed to get the trajectory off the deck I wanted. 15 degree fits the bill.

9 EGG (22 degree) - This is a club I have been really searching for, which is a replacement for my 3 iron. Tried hybrids and other fairway clubs with out much success, but may have finally found one that works. 200 to 210 yards that goes high and lands very soft and is also easy to hit out of the rough. Granted the rough on the course I play is nothing like the pros have to play out of. Hit some shots into 15 mph wind and didn't find that the ball ballooned at all.

5 Egg (18 degree) - Toss up between getting the 5 and 7 and decided that I would use the 5 more on the course I play, specifically 225 to 230 shots into par 5s, or par 4s if I really mess up my drive.

Really looking to get more playing time with the EGGs.

Edited by Randy

Great feedback Randy, let us know more when you get a chance. I am also considering a 9w Egg in the bag because these are so easy to hit in any lie, even easier than some hybrids in my opinion.

I had three EGGs arrive today. 15 degree EGG spoon and 5 and 9 EGG. Took off work early to try them out on the course. Course was pretty empty and was able to go out hit them a bunch of times.

15 degree EGG Spoon - Finally found a three wood that I could hit easily off the deck and also performed very well off the tee. Previously had a 13 degree EGG Spoon that was great of the tee, but didn't have the swing speed to get the trajectory off the deck I wanted. 15 degree fits the bill.

9 EGG (22 degree) - This is a club I have been really searching for, which is a replacement for my 3 iron. Tried hybrids and other fairway clubs with out much success, but may have finally found one that works. 200 to 210 yards that goes high and lands very soft and is also easy to hit out of the rough. Granted the rough on the course I play is nothing like the pros have to play out of. Hit some shots into 15 mph wind and didn't find that the ball ballooned at all.

5 Egg (18 degree) - Toss up between getting the 5 and 7 and decided that I would use the 5 more on the course I play, specifically 225 to 230 shots into par 5s, or par 4s if I really mess up my drive.

Really looking to get more playing time with the EGGs.

wow nice review randy. such an expensive xperiment but glad its working out. having wood woes as of the moment and am compromising by searching for a perfect 4wood 16* to end my bad spell. this looks like this could work. particularly eyeying the 15*

Thanks for the Great Review Randy, making me wanting one even more badly!!!

Should i be comparing to the Yamaha POwer spoon???

Anyone?

It's too early to tell with the Yamaha since its not out yet. The 43.5" personally for me will make it hard to square up. I play my EGG at 42.5".

Also the Yamaha is over 40cc larger which is good for some but maybe too big for others. However if it is as solid as other Yamaha FW's it could work awesome with the FricOff Sole.

wow nice review randy. such an expensive xperiment but glad its working out. having wood woes as of the moment and am compromising by searching for a perfect 4wood 16* to end my bad spell. this looks like this could work. particularly eyeying the 15*

C,

Grab the 15* and install a mid to high launch shaft in it. You won't look back.

After playing my 15* for about 6 weeks now I have ordered the 22*. Now I just need to decide which shaft to put in it. Does anyone think a Kai'li would be a good shaft? I'm worried that the launch wouldn't be high enough.

My Egg 15* just arrived from Goodsie yesterday. Had him put in a Graphite Design SF-8 in x-stiff. When I get the chance to hit it, I'll be sure to give some feedback. With the black SF-8 shaft and this head, this thing looks like a beast, very mean.

i used PRGR GN502 for 3-4 months and i love it .. now i'm just looking for FW but after i read review about the EGG spoon .. i would like to ask that compare to GN502 hit FW, which one is better? ( distance, feel, and forgivness) .. i can't decided which one to bring it in my bag, GN502 hit or PX-03 EGG spoon ..

(i'm average golfer that play once a week and score about 100-110, thanks.

i used PRGR GN502 for 3-4 months and i love it .. now i'm just looking for FW but after i read review about the EGG spoon .. i would like to ask that compare to GN502 hit FW, which one is better? ( distance, feel, and forgivness) .. i can't decided which one to bring it in my bag, GN502 hit or PX-03 EGG spoon ..

(i'm average golfer that play once a week and score about 100-110, thanks.

I have both and IMO I think the Egg is better for you, or most people in genera. It's just flat out longer, easier to hit, the feel and sound isnt as good but my best guess is you will take the other attributes over that.

Enquiring minds want to know......

what is the difference between the "Egg" and the "Egg Spoon"? Why the $75 price difference? Thanks.

The difference is the EGG Spoon BODY and FACE are Titanium which is why it is like a driver.

The EGG FW is SUS630 Stainless steel.

The Spoons are built for hot feel and distance while the FW is more for accuracy and solid feel.

Geeeeeez T, after reading your great write-up on the PRGR Egg, I feel the need to get one. I have been playing the PRGR Hit fairway 15*, but I like the idea of a 13* fairway. And I have the Geotech 15* fairway, now what am I to do.

Doc

Just a little report.

Yes this club is very long as others have reported and it sure is easy to hit. I do like the way it sets up. Not too shallow but I think high handicappers will feel confident with this club just as well as low handicappers do.

The SF-8 shaft from Graphite Design was a good choice in this club. This shaft is very straight with little dispersion and has good feel and weight to it. Coming from Goodsie this club is well balanced.

I really like this club with one exception. I'm not a fan of the sound. The feel is good, the results are good, but the sound is taking some getting used to.

B, it took me some time to get used to the sound as well. But now I kinda like it. Especially when people turn and look and your ball is way down there... (^_^)

B, it took me some time to get used to the sound as well. But now I kinda like it. Especially when people turn and look and your ball is way down there... (^_^)

Yea, I know what you mean. I was killing this club yesterday. I really like the way it sets up to the ball. Instills a lot of confidence.

Yea, I know what you mean. I was killing this club yesterday. I really like the way it sets up to the ball. Instills a lot of confidence.

I had a feeling you were going to really like this club AFTER you got used to the sound.

It sits so well you feel like you can't miss. Strangely I've found that the harder I hit it, the better contact I make, the sound seems more muted. Anyone else notice this??

I too was killing this club today. I hit this off the deck on the par 5's today with amazing results.

I've also had strang responses from the guys around me when they hear it. They all seem to really like the sound. In a strange way it almost seems to intimidate them...