TourSpecGolfer

Are you guys making good progress.

We await in anticipation!

F

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my GF blades arrived from Goodsie's place in Austin, TX yesterday evening here in China after a grueling 2 weeks in customs. Really stoked that they're finally here and am about to head out to the range and a round today. The nickel black KBS 6.5's are an amazing looking pairing and will get a full review out shortly. For now here's a few iPhone quality pics.

post-13179-1267924314.jpg

post-13179-1267924341.jpg

post-13179-1267924358.jpg

those look soo clean. nice! congrats!

btw are those white iomics? been wanting a set of white grips but am worried about keeping em clean in the tropics

Spoon, the grips are yes, White Iomic Stickies.

For the clubs themselves, I've found them to be extremely beautiful, but a little bit too difficult for me to get used to as the swing weights are on the light side for me at D4 and there's a slight face progression that's more than I'm used to as well with almost no offset on the shorter irons but a couple of mm in the longer ones (from about the 5 iron on). Ball flight is just a bit higher on these than my MP-29's as well. In general they feel like they would suit a shot shaping swinger, more so than a hitter. They are however very consistent and probably attribute a significant amount of that to Goodsie's tuning.

For feedback on refined versions of these clubs I'd say I'd personally prefer a little more weight overall. The shapes are lovely - the top line is razor thin which is really appealing to me but a little more weight up the top flange would be great to keep ball flight down a bit. Sole grind is an A+ and the finish is beautiful. For me, the last preference piece would be to have less offset in the longer irons - the short irons to me feel spot on and have really liked the 8-PW clubs.

They're great clubs no doubt, but it's the small things that are keeping them from being the 100% ideal love connection for my swing style. I'm debating whether or not to keep them in the collection as they're both rare and beautiful or put them up in the Buy/Sell/Trade section while they're still fresh.

Thanks for the update Chris,

We all appreciate the need to get these right so that the finished product is "A1". Are you still expecting the final design in 2010? and more so for me are you still going to look at a CB? and if so will that be in 2010?

Thanks Vineman

Hey Guy's it will be a little while longer on the new designs. We are making adjustment to prototypes now to provide the best possible blade we can.

Thanks for the update Chris,

We all appreciate the need to get these right so that the finished product is "A1". Are you still expecting the final design in 2010? and more so for me are you still going to look at a CB? and if so will that be in 2010?

Thanks Vineman

These are backed up big time as Master Sasaya has become famous recently doing Aftermarket putter tuning. Ryo Ishihara had a Odyssey putter that had a sight line through all 3 pieces produced by Odyssey Golf and since then Sasaya has been geting hundreds of requests to do the same in Japan. The retail version doesnt have this feature. Its the big craze right now.

Also his Scotty tunes are insane and picking up lots of traction in Japan.

I will keep you guys posted sorry for the delay.

yup i checked out his site and he has indeed been tuning a couple of scottys and betts. love his new perimeter weighting plugs. they look star-trek-y:)

D5 without having to tip weight would be ideal. More mass behind the face would be ideal for me.

I think in general it's the little bit of offset my eye's not used to that's throwing me on these which is unfortunate because I really like the shorter irons.

Yeah, perhaps. I'm a little torn at the moment and have been going back and forth with Goodsie and Tario regarding my next set of irons. I'm thinking that I'm going to pull the black nickel pured/Flo'd shafts out of the GF Protos and put them either back in my current set of MP-29's or into AF Tours or MP-68s.

I was looking at the 901's for a bit but don't really care for the look even though the offset is about right. If anyone has a photo of an AF Tour 3-Iron that they could post I'd appreciate it. I want to see how the offset looks as well as the overall blade size. I would prefer to stay at least as short heel to toe as the MP-29's if not even more compact and don't know if the AF Tour does that. They seem like they're bigger than both mizunos. If Epon did custom head weights as well that would be pretty awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

Do these blade have ( or can they have) a cnc milled face showing the swirl as seen on some of the crazy wedges? How far do you think you are from an end product?

Thanks,

F

Whats the current status of the progress on these beautiful irons?

- I hear they are extremely soft, I say keep em that way.

- Stay around 48 degrees for PW

- Keep headweight low, lower than i.e. MP-68

- Keep the "Gold's Factory" engraving on the back of the blade, a much cleaner look than the previous GF flat backs