2010 Golds Factory Muscle Backs!

TourSpecGolfer

I am a bit late to the party here - but I am glad to see some new Golds Factory blades coming out.

I really like the raw face + finished body. For the rest of the finish - I really like the finish on the previous Golds Cavity backs and the Callaway Liquid Chrome wedges from awhile back.

Lofts - I think that many people have wedges, hybrids etc set around modern lofts... although I would prefer a pitching wedge that you could actually use as the name suggests, I don't know how practical that would be. I would be happy with 46 or 47, but 48 wouldn't throw me for a loop. Its pretty easy to pull a longer club ;) .

Other - I am a huge fan of well crafted soles that work well off of different types of turf. So, something with good camber all around would be important to me. I still think that the mid-90's 'Maruman Sole' was a real gem.

Finally - any chance of a new set of Golds cavities - a reissue of the previous model would be perfect!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea of 2 different sets( 1 by master & 1 by factory). I prefer a more square toe, shallower heel, traditional lofts and any type of custom features you can think of within reason ( which i think Gold's already does). Other then that, great job and look forward to the release.

First off kudos for even asking our input. It's refreshing to see a company directly take advantage of a source like this for input. Makes me want to consider Gold's ... even if the shape or look or final product is not to my liking in the end.

That said, these are beauts...

I absolutely appreciate and prefer a minimalist look in blades.

So I actually would not prefer something going off the hook and gonzo. To me that would look tricked up and gimmicky. For the better player, I don't think they need or even want that. But just an opinion from observations I've made.

I'm not big on sharp angles. But too rounded is not to my liking either. These are a very nice in between compromise.

The topline looks thin enough to me on that 5i.

The input for bounce and grind customization is a good one, but if that is not an option I would recommend more of a non-sweeper grind and bounce because that is the kind of player for these irons. With this logic, traditional lofts should be fine, since they'll be trapping the ball more and will naturally deloft the face.

The offset looks minimal here, but anything to reduce it will be great.

Finish wise, I definitely prefer the satin, but I like the raw as an option for those that don't mind the quicker wear.

I agree with Vertigo88 for an option to have the numbers changed from Arabic to Roman, an option to have only 'Gold's Factory' as the engraving, an a la Geotech option and have -absolutely nothing-. To this I will add an option to have Gold's Factory stamped in Japanese a la Yururi style and allow to customize the positioning as well (e.g. towards the toe or on the muscle back section, etc.).

Keep the lofts more modern. Just because I'm selfish and don't want to have to relearn distances. That and a 50* PW would mean my 52-53* wedges would need some adjustment. I'm not much of a digger swing type ("think dollar bills") so a sole to match is good. Not a big fan of flashy, understated but classy. (how's that for broad description?) I keep thinking I'm getting to old to play blades, but then I see something like this and that excuse evaporates.

I apologize for the off topic but does Gold's Factory also have plans to release a cavity back?

What ever happened to the MB irons that Gold's have been developing with Vega? If I remember correctly Gold's Factory were going to use the 50th Anniversary MB head with different grinds?

Has this project been dropped or could we still see this happening?

What ever happened to the MB irons that Gold's have been developing with Vega? If I remember correctly Gold's Factory were going to use the 50th Anniversary MB head with different grinds?

Has this project been dropped or could we still see this happening?

Gold's was never doing anything with Vega. Vega and Kyoei are not one as many people have thought. Vega uses Kyoei head designs and puts their logo on it.

Yes a New Golds CB is in the works.

Thanks!

Gold's was never doing anything with Vega. Vega and Kyoei are not one as many people have thought. Vega uses Kyoei head designs and puts their logo on it.

I am only going on a post from Gocchin http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/t28031.html&hl=gold

I thought this was the MB but it is the CB Anniversry with both the Gold's & Vega logo on it.

In which he states " It looks like Sasaya-san will return with cavity backs and blades from Gold's for 2009. He's been working with Kyoei who he has a good relationship with and testing custom grinds and finishes on a head design that was used for Vega's 50th Anniversry iron which in itself was very limited. He is testing prototypes now... subtle grinding, different finishes and stampings for now"

I was always under the impression that Vega was a subsidiary of Kyoei, hense the association with the 50th Anniversry models.

Anyway I use the MB and have used the CB, both are very good clubs. I was hoping that Gold's would do there take on this head design?

Really??? Please explain because everything I have read Vega is the retail brand for Kyoei. Like Epon is to Endo.

Kyoei is the manufacture of Vega. The former president of Kyoei left to run Vega and distribute Ozik shafts in Japan.

It is not the same as Epon/Endo those two are one in the same. Vega is seperate of Kyoei.

That is why other brands can use the same Kyoei models that Vega also uses.

Kyoei does own Zestaim.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Kyoei is the manufacture of Vega. The former president of Kyoei left to run Vega and distribute Ozik shafts in Japan.

It is not the same as Epon/Endo those two are one in the same. Vega is seperate of Kyoei.

That is why other brands can use the same Kyoei models that Vega also uses.

Kyoei does own Zestaim.

Some input,

thinner flatter sole, reduce head size. heel - toe tungsten plugs high up the muscle to jack the weight and heighten COG, traditional lofts, GF initials only.

Then you'll have a set of real blades worthy of all the praise.

Hi guys,

It's a bit late but thought i'd add my bit,

Satin finish, raw face sounds great

22* 3 iron to 48* pw, i agree with idrive it gives more wedge options.

extend muscle pad out to th etoe slightly more while squaring up the top of the toe.

On the standard edition have a slight trailing edge relief.

There are 2 more versions of Prototype Gold's Factory Muscle Backs coming out. I think everyone who participated in this post will be happy we implemented a lot of their suggestions.

The CB is in its very early stages.

To me, the AF-Tours are perfect, certainly the nicest blade I've played. I'm not experienced enough with all manufacturers to know where the AF-Tours sit in relation to top line thickness, offset, heel toe length and sole spec. Where ever they sit, that's what my preference is for what its worth. I love the sole grind, I find these 'forgiving' and theyre certainly compact enough to work the ball at will. The KBS tour, IMO, is a perfect compliment. The feel is out of this world.

That said, I have not ever seen a 'perfect' blended set, though the custome Mizzy's would be close though the set is multiple models with grinding to appear the same at address. A true flowing set created as such on an iron by iron basis would be a real point of difference. Perhaps with the option of choosing the 'transition' club (from CB to MB) whether that be 6 7 or 8 iron and perhaps a full CB to 'players' CB in the long iron to mid iron transition would give consumers ultimate customisation. Flowing lofts, transitional trajectories matching sole & top line & blade length.....I think I need to lie down.....

For me, if I'm throwing my hat into the ring, in Epon speak for illustration purposes......

3 iron - 302 style but full cavity

4 iron - 302 style but full cavity

5 iron - 302 style

6 iron - 302 style

7-P iron AF-Tour style

For me, if I'm throwing my hat into the ring, in Epon speak for illustration purposes......

3 iron - 302 style but full cavity

4 iron - 302 style but full cavity

5 iron - 302 style

6 iron - 302 style

7-P iron AF-Tour style

you got it nailed!

I am the lucky owner of a new set of Gold's Factory blades! The heads arrived at my apartment here in Dongguan, China yesterday and am waiting on some components to arrive for some new woods & wedges before it all gets shipped off to Goodsie in Austin, TX to get pured/flo'd and bent 1* flat for the lie and 1* weak on the lofts.

(Yamaha V201 Tour Model 9* + GD Tour AD 9003X)

(Yamaha V-fw 3 & 5 Wood + TBD, but considering Diamana Blue Board S83)

(Sky Jump Dream DP-2010 53*(52*) & 58* + KBS Tour 6.5)

I'm planning on sticking with the KBS Tour 6.5's I've got in my Mizuno MP-29's and am really excited to get this set into play. Will definitely be posting pics of the completed bag when it's all done. For the grips, does anyone have any good suggestions for playing in humid/hot conditions? I have played No.1 (nowon) grips which I hated, and am currently using New Decade Multi-compounds which I find to be fair. I'm a fairly hard swinger and so like all the grip security I can get. Has anyone that fights moisture/slick grips used Iomic M60 or M62 sized sticky's or X-Fusion Cords in hot and or humid weather? Have also been considering changing grip size - not sure if smaller or larger would be the right call....

-David

I am the lucky owner of a new set of Gold's Factory blades! The heads arrived at my apartment here in Dongguan, China yesterday and am waiting on some components to arrive for some new woods & wedges before it all gets shipped off to Goodsie in Austin, TX to get pured/flo'd and bent 1* flat for the lie and 1* weak on the lofts.

(Yamaha V201 Tour Model 9* + GD Tour AD 9003X)

(Yamaha V-fw 3 & 5 Wood + TBD, but considering Diamana Blue Board S83)

(Sky Jump Dream DP-2010 53*(52*) & 58* + KBS Tour 6.5)

I'm planning on sticking with the KBS Tour 6.5's I've got in my Mizuno MP-29's and am really excited to get this set into play. Will definitely be posting pics of the completed bag when it's all done. For the grips, does anyone have any good suggestions for playing in humid/hot conditions? I have played No.1 (nowon) grips which I hated, and am currently using New Decade Multi-compounds which I find to be fair. I'm a fairly hard swinger and so like all the grip security I can get. Has anyone that fights moisture/slick grips used Iomic M60 or M62 sized sticky's or X-Fusion Cords in hot and or humid weather? Have also been considering changing grip size - not sure if smaller or larger would be the right call....

-David

wow looking forward to an indepth review. i myself have tried the iomics and found it annoying to use in humid wet conditions. been raining in manila and personally the New decades are the gold standard for me. i use em in most of my clubs. regarding grip size dont get them too small or too big. get one that fits. a clubfitter can help you out with that one.

New muscle backs look excellent.

- Nice thin top line.

- Prefer traditional lofts - 3-PW, minimal offset should be a given.

- Several shaft options including dynamic gold S200.

- Maybe some cool grip options, semi cords would be nice.

I'm not a fan of jacked up lofts, they're a gimic.

It seems the groove area is ever so slightly too close to the heel, just being picky.

New muscle backs look excellent.

- Nice thin top line.

- Prefer traditional lofts - 3-PW, minimal offset should be a given.

- Several shaft options including dynamic gold S200.

- Maybe some cool grip options, semi cords would be nice.

I'm not a fan of jacked up lofts, they're a gimic.

It seems the groove area is ever so slightly too close to the heel, just being picky.

That's an awesome look of GF muscle back.Traditional loft should be perfect choice! BTW anybody can share the comparison between previous GF MB and current epon 502?thinking to get epon but still having gf mb not in use.

tks

dw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The time is drawing near! The heads have been cleaned and prepped, the KBS Tour Nickel Black Shafts have been given the Pureing and FLO'ing treatment by Goodsie in Austin, and the White Iomic M62s are awaiting installation as well. Looks like the set will be sent out Tuesday for a late week arrival in China.

After seeing the parts in person, I'm extremely pleased about how well the Sky Dream Jump DP-2010 wedges and the MP-29 2-Iron should integrate as a set.

On that note, I'm also curious to see how the revisions to this round of protos is turning out. Any word from the GF team?

Hey Guy's it will be a little while longer on the new designs. We are making adjustment to prototypes now to provide the best possible blade we can.

Lets hope the saying "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" is not apt in this instance. Anyhow my only observation is it would be nice if another method was used for numbering the individual clubs.