2010 Golds Factory Muscle Backs!

TourSpecGolfer

Ok so we are working together with Master Sasaya to produce a new Muscle Back iron geared toward the good player who wants a pure feel, straight neck, thin topline, and consistent sole. The type of player who desires to work the ball, who appreciates that soft and rewarding Japanese forged feel and needs semi traditional lofts.

We selected a brushed satin finish based on TSG'ers past requests, we do have the ability to change that finish, as well as the stamping, and to even add copper underlay with the major drawback of that being crinkles in the finish if not bent with great care.

The goal here is to produce 2 versions of the muscle back, one ground + CNC'd by Master Sasaya himself the other produced 100% in a Himeji factory. Of course the masters version will cost quite a bit more while the Himeji produced version has a target MSRP of 950 - 1150.00 which is quite reasonable for Japan made Irons 3-PW.

We want your suggestions on every aspect you see improvement is possible!

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MB's look great, just leave them as is.

What do you guys think about lofts? Full blown traditional or semi traditional or modern jacked lofts?

Personally, I like the old traditional lofts with PW being around 50 degrees.

Have an option to have the numbers changed from Arabic to Roman

Or pull a Ryan Moore Scratch Golf Special - Lofts only.

Or heck, have only 'Gold's Factory' as the engraving, people using this club should know their clubs by sight and feel.

Or even better, pull a Geotech and have -absolutely nothing-

My 2 cents

Give me flak for it now.

Traditional lofts.

jacked. pw of 46.

satin finish

Make the PW look like a wedge ie. round the toe off, too may iron sets have ugly PWs imho.

Good choice with the satin.

Make the PW look like a wedge ie. round the toe off, too may iron sets have ugly PWs imho.

Good choice with the satin.

i agree. think this will look ok though since its a muscle back

How is any blade different from one another besides topline, sole width, amount of offset, grind, quality of steel...

Blades are the most classic and basic iron and the truth is there is not much "different" about blades when it comes to technology yet people are still searching for the perfect blade and that means feel and performance as well as looks. This blade obviously looks good in the classic sense and will be fine tuned by the master but we'll still have to see how it comes out in the end.

After all that is why Chris is asking for everyone's feedback... YOU can make it different by giving your suggestions as this is not close to a finished product yet, so its kinda hard to answer, how is it different as it is still in the development stages. What do you guys want to see in a blade that will make it different?

How does one make a blade radical without sacrificing pure feel or playability? This is why we need your help! Detailed suggestions are welcome! (^_^)

After all that is why Chris is asking for everyone's feedback... YOU can make it different by giving your suggestions as this is not close to a finished product yet, so its kinda hard to answer, how is it different as it is still in the development stages. What do you guys want to see in a blade that will make it different?

How does one make a blade radical without sacrificing pure feel or playability? This is why we need your help! Detailed suggestions are welcome! (^_^)

Very good points, Gocchin. I guess I could be called a heckler if I just criticized without giving any input so here goes my (very) cheap 2 cents worth...

1) No point giving suggestions on feel and playability since that's all subjective anyway.

2) Blades are blades like you said, and hard to improve on that design - but if Cally can come up with the X Proto's, I don't see why Gold's can't up the ante on that. Maybe adopt some of the cut muscle technology and try and mix it up with the X Proto? How about making the groove area raw and keeping the rest satin?

3) I'm a big fan of square toe so would definitely like to see that.

4) Keep the size of the PW to a minimum and would like a strong loft (45*).

5) since we're going for the players who can work the ball... offer a 2 iron! :)

Very good points, Gocchin. I guess I could be called a heckler if I just criticized without giving any input so here goes my (very) cheap 2 cents worth...

1) No point giving suggestions on feel and playability since that's all subjective anyway.

2) Blades are blades like you said, and hard to improve on that design - but if Cally can come up with the X Proto's, I don't see why Gold's can't up the ante on that. Maybe adopt some of the cut muscle technology and try and mix it up with the X Proto? How about making the groove area raw and keeping the rest satin?

3) I'm a big fan of square toe so would definitely like to see that.

4) Keep the size of the PW to a minimum and would like a strong loft (45*).

5) since we're going for the players who can work the ball... offer a 2 iron! :)

Great feedback! Feel is definitely subjective for any club really. A raw face is definitely doable and I've seen the master do it on previous Gold's irons. That would give it some bite and it could still be 2010 conforming as I've seen Royal Collection do that with their new wedge and make USGA conforming.

Great feedback! Feel is definitely subjective for any club really. A raw face is definitely doable and I've seen the master do it on previous Gold's irons. That would give it some bite and it could still be 2010 conforming as I've seen Royal Collection do that with their new wedge and make USGA conforming.

There seems to be some 'trends' occurring lately.... black irons, colored ferrules, maybe these options would attract the more 'modern' golfer if they were options. Not for me though :-)

+1 for the raw face, they can be cleaned up with some steel wool and definitely offer some performance benefits.

We appreciate the input guys! Expect several variations of the muscle back over coming months.

There is very little that makes muscle backs different from each other, where some companies add a cut muscle other companies shorten the hosel for the same effect moving the sweet spot closer to the toe. The thing that makes these blades stand out a bit is the topline thickness & extreme lack of offset while keeping heel to toe length.

Most new blades on the market have a thicker topline & more offset than these.

For me. Blades or Players CB's

Ultra thin top line and sole.

Basically no offset.

Shallow face, longer heel to toe.

I'm a big fan of the Satin rather than chrome.

A raw face would be really neat, if not the entire head.

Lofts:

PW-48

9i -44

8i -40

7i -36

6i -32

5i -28

4i -25

3i -22

I think these lofts bring a better asortment of wedges in to play, 52-56-60 which is my preference.

A grind that can be custom ordered.

I like toe and heel relief with a bit of bounce.

Ok so we are working together with Master Sasaya to produce a new Muscle Back iron geared toward the good player who wants a pure feel, straight neck, thin topline, and consistent sole. The type of player who desires to work the ball, who appreciates that soft and rewarding Japanese forged feel and needs semi traditional lofts.

We selected a brushed satin finish based on TSG'ers past requests, we do have the ability to change that finish, as well as the stamping, and to even add copper underlay with the major drawback of that being crinkles in the finish if not bent with great care.

The goal here is to produce 2 versions of the muscle back, one ground + CNC'd by Master Sasaya himself the other produced 100% in a Himeji factory. Of course the masters version will cost quite a bit more while the Himeji produced version has a target MSRP of 950 - 1150.00 which is quite reasonable for Japan made Irons 3-PW.

We want your suggestions on every aspect you see improvement is possible!

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

After some more thinking and reading some of the other posts, this is what I would like:

- Copper underlay

- Keep it satin

- Sweet spot in the center of the club

- Little bounce as I have a sweeper swing

- Lofts on the irons instead of 3 - PW

- Lofts:

* PW = 50 (I like having a matching set up to that loft and 55 and 60 degree wedges

* 9 = 46

* 8 = 42

* 7 = 38

* 6 = 34

* 5 = 30

* 4 = 26

* 3 = would like the option of not getting a 3 iron

Really looking forward to what gets produced.

Aloha

Randy

After some more thinking and reading some of the other posts, this is what I would like:

- Lofts on the irons instead of 3 - PW

Really looking forward to what gets produced.

Aloha

Randy

The loft on the iron instead of the # is something I've been wanting for a long time. Forgot to add it to my post.

I guess I just figured it's not going to happen...

The loft on the iron instead of the # is something I've been wanting for a long time. Forgot to add it to my post.

I guess I just figured it's not going to happen...

Yea that is a tuff one because people change lofts or sell their sets to others who may use different lofts.

If you really want one like that we can get ur done for you.

If anyone is interested the prototype heads in these images are available 3-PW.

Only 2 sets were produced, I hit one and will keep it for history, the one for sale is brand new.

PM me if you need a price on that. It's a very rare set.